* Re: Print "number of pages"
@ 1998-07-27 18:19 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1998-07-27 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Hallo Hans

> totaalaantalpaginas  totalnumberofpages  <somethinggerman>
                                           gesamtseitenanzahl

> > \usemodules[bibliographic]
> > \bibaddentry[Burnus,T:myExample]
> >    [title={This is an example for a \CONTEXT
> >            version of \LATEX's \BIBTEXT},
> >     author={Tobias P. Burnus}]
> Probably more symmetric, but I understand what you mean.
It was a kind of fast example.

Using BibTeX, one can have a huge number of references predefined in
a bibTeX file, which can be accessed by a ,ref'. ...

> > \bibsynonym[thisdoc][Burnus,T:myExample]
> What exactly do you mean here?
... in order to have a good ref name, it has to be long
(e.g."Burnus,T:myExample"),
but if I frequently quote one bib. I don't want to type "xjhsxzh iufidu fidi
fuzidu",
but something shorter.

> > \bibaddtofile[thisdoc][file=myOwnBibs] % taken care of by TeXUtil
> Filtered by texutil for sorting purposes?
For the purpose of sorting (if I use [Schö98]), but also to include into a file
(we might also might use TeX for latter purpose). Consider a bigger environment
(I presently work on a single workstation, but some universities have huge
networks
(actually all) and use TeX to a large extend (not that common :-(  ): Every
,team' has
a selection of articles, to which the frequently refer. For that reason the put
them into
one central file. Every team member has additional a catalog of own files.
It should be possible to add own entries to a database file (both, the own one
and
-- if one has the previleges --  to the one of the team).

> > \bibloadfile[file=myOwnBibs] % My Articles
> > \bibloadfile[file=groupBibs] % Articles of my group or freq. used articles
> > \bibloadfile[file=standard_bibs, prefix=TEXprefix]
>
> Probably only one one file, the one texutil constructed from
> \bibaddtofile
see above.

> What does the prefix do?
Having several input files, it might prevent name clashes, compare with ANSI C's
namespaces.
If the names are carefully chosen (and long see \bibsynonym) there shouldn't be
any problem,
which might occure, if there are two team members who ,merge' their articles
(to differnt names files, but articles like my1 my2 etc.)

> > \starttext
> > \titlepage
> > {\bibprint[thisdoc][title]}
> > {\bibprint[thisdoc][author][order=FirstLastName]}
> Ok, selection is not the problem.
bibTeX automatically detemerms which part is firstname, and which is lastname,
two fields are also ok. (But also to have either "author1, author2 and author3"
or
"author1 et al.")

> > This thesis is taken from \bibref[Burnus,T:Theses], \bibref[Foo,B:Another one].
> > You will find also something on page 4444 in \bibref[TEXprefix:Knuth:TeXBook].                                      \page[about ...]
>
> > (printed like [1][2] etc. ^1 ^2 ^3 or [Knut76]. Using 1,2,3... it should be
> > possible to group them: [1,2,3,5] or [1-3,5]
> Yes, not that hard too
But not that easy in "plain" bibTeX

> > ConTeXt's bibligraphic modul should also be able to read LaTeX's BibTeX files,
> > making it possible to use the old one or those of colleagues.

> For sure. I was thinking of XINDY too, but that's not finished yet (I
> discussed thsi with the authors at EuroTeX, I need attributes before I
> can use it.) The nice thing of Xindy is that is does advanced sorting.
> Maybe we should look into that first.

OK, especially the sorting like ä -> ae or ä -> a or a < ä < b

> (1) a general database interface (generalizing core-02a.tex)
serial letters, but maybe also list of items incl. images

> (2) a bibliographic module

> (BTW Nelson Beebe published something on this in the tugboat. Maybe I
> should download his stuff first.)

> PS. I have written a dos binary for stripping TEX, sometime back in
> 1993. I probably could do a better job in Perl nowadays.
Probably.

Tobias

PS: I come later back to some details of this letter.

* RE: Print "number of pages"
@ 1998-07-27  6:33 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1998-07-27  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

On Sunday, July 26, 1998 6:28 PM, Tobias Burnus [SMTP:burnus@berlin1.netsurf.de] wrote:

> how can I print the number of pages a document has?

\totaalaantalpaginas

(no translation??, at least couldn't find it)

Groetjes,

Berend.

* Re: Print "number of pages"
@ 1998-07-26 17:49 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-07-26 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> how can I print the number of pages a document has?

the internal quantity is: \lastpage and you can bet that there is also
\firstpage, \prevpage, \lastpage, \nofsubpages \nextsubpage,
\prevsubpage etc.

There are also \realpageno (counts all pages) \userpageno (only the ones
with a pagenumber) etc etc etc.

So, in dutch \totaalaantalpaginas

I'll add the german translation if you give it to me:

totaalaantalpaginas  totalnumberofpages  <somethinggerman>

> Something I miss in ConTeXt is an advanced and full-featured biblographic
> module, similar to BibTeX. I show an example how it might work:

Right, I never needed it.

> \usemodules[bibliographic]
> \bibaddentry[Burnus,T:myExample]
>    [title={This is an example for a \CONTEXT
>            version of \LATEX's \BIBTEXT},
>     author={Tobias P. Burnus}]

Probably more symmetric, but I understand what you mean.

> \bibsynonym[thisdoc][Burnus,T:myExample]

What exactly do you mean here?

> \bibaddtofile[thisdoc][file=myOwnBibs] % taken care of by TeXUtil

Filtered by texutil for sorting purposes?

> \bibloadfile[file=myOwnBibs] % My Articles
> \bibloadfile[file=groupBibs] % Articles of my group or freq. used articles
> \bibloadfile[file=standard_bibs, prefix=TEXprefix]

Probably only one one file, the one texutil constructed from
\bibaddtofile

What does the prefix do?

> \starttext
> \titlepage
> {\bibprint[thisdoc][title]}
> {\bibprint[thisdoc][author][order=FirstLastName]}

Ok, selection is not the problem.

> This thesis is taken from \bibref[Burnus,T:Theses], \bibref[Foo,B:Another one].
> You will find also something on page 4444 in \bibref[TEXprefix:Knuth:TeXBook].                                      \page[about ...]

> (printed like [1][2] etc. ^1 ^2 ^3 or [Knut76]. Using 1,2,3... it should be
> possible to group them: [1,2,3,5] or [1-3,5]

Yes, not that hard too

> ConTeXt's bibligraphic modul should also be able to read LaTeX's BibTeX files,
> making it possible to use the old one or those of colleagues.

For sure. I was thinking of XINDY too, but that's not finished yet (I
discussed thsi with the authors at EuroTeX, I need attributes before I
can use it.) The nice thing of Xindy is that is does advanced sorting.
Maybe we should look into that first.

Implementing a bib mechanism is not that hard to do. You could think of
a mechanism like the block moves, which have a selective typeseting
option (class, subclasses), but I'm more thinking of extending the the
mechanism we already use for years to typeset addresses (this mechanism
is rather fast, and we use it for mailings, individual or grouped, for
letters, envelopes, etc.) I never came to generalizing it, but
implementing it would only take a few days, think of:

(1) a general database interface (generalizing core-02a.tex)
(2) a bibliographic module

The funny thing is that I don't even have bibliographic libs at hand,
and I need them to practice. I think we should discuss this with Taco
too. The typesetting part is rather trivial once the concept is ok. Can
you collect some things for me?

(BTW Nelson Beebe published something on this in the tugboat. Maybe I
should download his stuff first.)

Hans

PS. I have written a dos binary for stripping TEX, sometime back in
1993. I probably could do a better job in Perl nowadays.

                                              Hans Hagen | PRAGMA
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

* Print "number of pages"
@ 1998-07-26 16:27 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1998-07-26 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Hans, hello others,

[...]

Groeten, Regards and Tschüs,

Tobias

PS: I thought I would use StarOffice 4.0/Linux for a few lines, but somehow the
Typographical
quality doesn't convince. I think I write a small "strip off" perl utility which
extracts the plain text out of a \CONTEXT\ tex(t) file. (I need a plain ASCII
file for another purpose,
but I want to have a nice typeset one, too.)
Using Acrobat Reader for that purpose doesn't work;
"Deutschland 1945--1949 -- Besatzungszeit und Staatsgr"undung " is printet as:
"Deutschland 1945{1949 { Besatzungszeit und Staatsgr\x7f undung"
("u is u umlaut / ü )