* Re: bigger characters
@ 1998-07-30 21:25 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-07-30 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Frans Goddijn wrote:

> Generally in the ConTeXt manuals, the dense purely logical explanations of
> how things work are too dense for me to understand. I see
> [...,...=...,...] but I don't understand what should be mentally
> substituted for the "..." there. Usually, below such an [...,...=...,...]
> there's a grey box with options listed, some of them underlined but it
> takes a few examples and their printed results before I get the idea of
> it. As a simple user I often seem to lack the intellectual abstraction
> level to imagine the workings of the "..." which in my mind remain little
> portable black holes...

Well, there is a certain login in it. ... means that you can specify
more than one.

I guess that if I added 10 pages of explaining this, few people would
read it. Anyway, I hope it reads more easy than your regular latex style
files. If not, I failed. BTW, these gray stuff is generated from rather
rather structred definitions. When I add a keyword, I only have to add
it to this description, and all manuals are up to date. The QRC docs
(only interactive) explain the keys, but is only partially finished.

> \def\os{\oldstyle}
>
> but after the first \os{1997} all other text in the chapter was typeset in
> the expert set, i.e. small caps and weirder characters.... ;=}
>
> I changed this into the longer
>
> \def\os#1{{\oldstyle #1}}
>
> and now it works. I guess it can be done shorter but it works!

  \def\os{\groupedcommand{\oldstyle}{}}

is the better way (accepts {\os ...} and \os{...}) but the official way
is the one Taco explained earlier (the 'oud' definition), which you can
also use as value to the letter/style key.

BTW, '\groupedcommand' is rather complicated command. If you can
understand the definition (see syst-gen.tex) you a pro.

Hans

                                              Hans Hagen | PRAGMA
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

* bigger characters
@ 1998-07-30 12:40 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 1998-07-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

said Hans Hagen  to All:

 HH> The new version also accepts
 HH> \definefont[name][file at|sa|scaled ...]
 HH> with the advantage that filenames can be mapped to more verbose
 HH> ones.

I don't understand (mapping verbose files/names) what this means yet, but
hopefully when the new version comes out, the explanation of this new
feature will be illustrated by examples.

Generally in the ConTeXt manuals, the dense purely logical explanations of
how things work are too dense for me to understand. I see
[...,...=...,...] but I don't understand what should be mentally
substituted for the "..." there. Usually, below such an [...,...=...,...]
there's a grey box with options listed, some of them underlined but it
takes a few examples and their printed results before I get the idea of
it. As a simple user I often seem to lack the intellectual abstraction
level to imagine the workings of the "..." which in my mind remain little
portable black holes...

I know other users expressly go by way of these abstractions and they skip
the examples. TeX friend Herman Haverkort for instance, when I introduced
him to TeX years a go, borrowed my copy of the TeXbook and, to get the
idea quickly, he only read the paragraphs with double "dangerous bend
signs" besides them and on second reading he read some of the other text,
so he could start hacking as soon as possible ;=}

To come back to the oldstyle tips of a few messages back:: I tried

\def\os{\oldstyle}

but after the first \os{1997} all other text in the chapter was typeset in
the expert set, i.e. small caps and weirder characters.... ;=}

I changed this into the longer

\def\os#1{{\oldstyle #1}}

and now it works. I guess it can be done shorter but it works!

Met hartelijke groet!

 Frans Goddijn   | bbs: +31 (0)26 3217041
 Postbus 30196   | email: fg@fgbbs.iaf.nl
 6803 AD Arnhem  | tel: +31 (0)26 3219342
 The Netherlands | http://www.iaf.nl/Users/Meridian
--
You are what you is

* Re: bigger characters
@ 1998-07-29 15:36 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-07-29 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Frans Goddijn wrote:

> The \tfe idea that Taco helped me to was almost right. I found out that
> the larger font option stops at \tfd.
>
> With Ton Otten's advice I now got the title font this way:
>
> \font\titelfont=tnrb at 35pt

The new version also accepts

\definefont[name][file at|sa|scaled ...]

with the advantage that filenames can be mapped to more verbose ones.

> \regelmidden{{\titelfont De kunst van het schrijven}}
> \vfil
> \regelmidden{{\tfd \bf  Johan Diepstraten}}
> \vfil
> [...]

Indeed. Now when you have more lines, you need to say

\titelfont \stelinterliniein text \par

Why? Simply because there you want another baseline distance than the
normal document one.

@ 1998-07-29 12:36 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 1998-07-29 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The \tfe idea that Taco helped me to was almost right. I found out that
the larger font option stops at \tfd.

With Ton Otten's advice I now got the title font this way:

\font\titelfont=tnrb at 35pt

\regelmidden{{\titelfont De kunst van het schrijven}}
\vfil
\regelmidden{{\tfd \bf  Johan Diepstraten}}
\vfil
[...]

PS: I will make that \titelfont somewhat smaller still.