* new to ConTeXt
@ 2006-11-04 22:38 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2006-11-04 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

after more than five years using LaTeX (Lambda and XeLaTeX, this one for
the last months), I have decided to give ConTeXt a try. LaTeX is fine
for me: I have typeset my own dissertation in Philosophy (with ancient
Greek and Unicode) and a couple of books. But the modular design makes
things tricky at the end, and I would like to give ConTeXt (with XeTeX
and LuaTeX when it comes) a try.

At the same time, I would like to switch from TeX to XML. TeX is fine,
but XML is better for other than typographical purposes. Coming from the
humanities, I guess the right choice is TEI (P5 is expected to be
released before middle of the following year). I had some experience
with XML and Docbook some years ago, but that was before I switched to
Linux and Docbook aims to technical documentation (and I'm not a
technical guy).

I guess I can mix ConTeXt and XML with the eXaMpLe framework (I have
just read about it at wiki.contextgarden.net). In order to understand
TEI and ConTeXt, I would like to be able to create the files that will
be able to compile an TEI XML document with ConTeXt  without having to
convert it to ConTeXt. I would like to avoid XSL and XSL-FO. I guess it
should be something similar DocbookInConTeXt, but I don't know whether
it uses the eXaMplE framework (I don't even know whether .

Could anyone comment on this topic? I mean, whether the described task
could be achieved with ConTeXt, which issues may arise, whether this is
the best approach to the issue, whether I miss something, and so on.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo