* Euro Symbol
@ 1998-08-31  9:58 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-08-31  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Some time ago Tobias, Taco and I discussed the euro symbol. Lucky us,
adobe released some fonts containing this symbol. Unlucky us, they are
12 fonts, each with one symbol (serif, sans, mono) * (regular, bold,
italic, bolditalic).

Out of efficiency reasons, we cannot use a dedicated family for this
symbol, but I extended the symbol definition mechanism to deal with
this. This means that the next (major) release will offer

\euro

which adapts to style (rm,ss,tt) and alternative (tf,bf,it,sl,bi,bs) and
size as well.

This leaves the problem of distributing the fonts. I renamed the funny
_2bi_____.pdf etc names to something more useful.

I'm thinking of setting up a seperate font directory with fonts in the
right encodings (although many can be used, we only advocate the best).

I guess Taco has his ideas on this.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

* Euro Symbol
@ 2001-09-11 11:44 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-09-11 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> nice picture, but you need to fix the boundingbox:

that was on my todo list... for next week. So thanks for your
suggestions!

> it would make a nice example for the metafun manual [explore a couple of
> alternatives and so].
feel free to use it.

I have updated the file on the net, including your additional
comments.

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

- I TeX, therefore I am -

* Re: Euro Symbol
@ 2001-09-11  8:49   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-11  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:57 PM 9/10/2001 +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>http://levana.de/en/type/euro/euro.tex

nice picture, but you need to fix the boundingbox:

setbounds currentpicture to
   (xpart bottombarleft,ypart o1) --
   (xpart c8, ypart o1) --
   (xpart c8,ypart ulcorner currentpicture) --
   (xpart bottombarleft,ypart ulcorner currentpicture)-- cycle ;

if show_labels:
   draw boundingbox currentpicture withcolor red ;
fi ;

the right bbline is wrong, since you need an extra point between c2 and c5
which will replace the xpart c8.

it would make a nice example for the metafun manual [explore a couple of
alternatives and so].

How about the following addition:

\startuniqueMPgraphic{euro}{height}
   \includeMPgraphic{euro1} ;
   currentpicture := currentpicture ysized \MPvar{height} ;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\definesymbol[euro][\uniqueMPgraphic{euro}{height=1.5ex}]

\symbol[euro] \tfd \symbol[euro]

that way you get the euro scaled proportionally to the running text

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Euro Symbol
@ 2001-09-10 20:19   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-10 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Patrick,

Very impressive file! I bought a set of Euro symbols a while back and these
present an Euro symbol for a wide variety of fonts so that the sign won't
stand out so much in running text. One might reason that there is only one
specific brand of Euro sign, the design on the coins and an effort like
yours to create a copy of that sign for ConTeXt users will surely help. Will
it result in a singe macro yielding an Euro sign in running text or is your
file meant for illustrative use of the Euro sign?

In my setup, I need to change the %output=pdf of your file to
\setupoutput[pdftex] in order to get a pdf file. I don't know why this is
but it works that way...

I compiled your file in a new directory and I first needed to do
"texexec --make --alone metafun" to get the metafun.mem file there. Does
anyone know where I can put one copy of that metafun.mem file so that
texexec will find it there in the future?

I thought I recalled this question having been answered a while back but I
checked
http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context.html and didn't find it there.

Rgards, Frans

From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-10 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:57 PM 9/10/2001 +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>outline feature?? Something like clipping? Is this one of the things
>you do with pstoedit?

right, see makempy manual at our site for details

> > [the euro is available as symbol in symb-eur]
>are these taken from the adobe euro-font?

yes, actually i'm now playing with euros [for some project] and itc also
has free fonts; since none are part of tex live i think that i will change
the defaults to marvosym ones.

BTW, the euro sign is an example of a real ugly symbol.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Euro Symbol
@ 2001-09-10 15:57 ` Patrick Gundlach
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-09-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

@ 2001-09-10 11:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-10 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2001-09-10  7:33 ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-09-10  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 20:51 09.09.2001 +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>has anyone of you created a euro symbol with metapost? I have made one but
>I would like to see any more clever construction (probably any construction
>would be more clever than mine...)

Don't be too sure about this...

I know of the following metafont sources with (official or unofficial)
versions of the euro symbol:
- the text companion fonts,
- CTAN/fonts/euro-ce,
- CTAN/fonts/eurosym,

And there are probably more. Perhaps you can find additional hints in the
latex symbol guide
CTAN/documentation/symbols/comprehensive/

Hope this is useful,

Eckhart

* Euro Symbol
@ 2001-09-09 18:51 Patrick Gundlach