* bibliography problem
@ 2022-07-29 18:19 Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-07-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis’ article in the CG journal uses the publications module with a
.bib database. With ConTeXt LMTX 2022.05.11 all was well, with the
current version (2022.07.27) it can’t find the entries of the database:

open source     > level 2, order 20, name 'dm-ligatures/dm-ligatures.tex'
publications    > adding bib data to set 'dmlig' from source
'dm-ligatures/references.bib'
interface       > macros > processed mkvi file
'/Users/hraban/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/publ-imp-apa.mkvi',
delta 94
interface       > macros > processed mkvi file
'/Users/hraban/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/publ-imp-apa.mkvi',
delta 0
open source     > level 3, order 21, name
'/Users/hraban/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/publ-imp-apa.mkvi'
close source    > level 3, order 21, name
'/Users/hraban/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/publ-imp-apa.mkvi'
structures      > bookmark: Automatic suppression of unwanted ligatures
— Denis Maier
structure       > sectioning > part @ level 1 : 1 -> Automatic
suppression of unwanted ligatures\doifsomething {Denis Maier}{ —\
}\IndexAuthor Denis Maier
structures      > bookmark: Introduction
structure       > sectioning > section @ level 3 : 1.0.1 -> Introduction
fonts           > defining > unable to define
'IBMPlexSansHebrew-regular' as 'dummy--5'
publications    > analyzing previous publication run for 'dmlig'
publications    > no entry 'taraborelli:beauty' found in dataset 'dmlig'
publications    > no entry 'knuth:texbook' found in dataset 'dmlig'
publications    > no entry 'duden' found in dataset 'dmlig'
publications    > no entry 'detailtypografie' found in dataset 'dmlig'
publications    > no entry 'butterick:practical-typography-ligatures'
found in dataset 'dmlig'
publications    > no entry 'bringhurst:style' found in dataset 'dmlig'
publications    > no entry 'rafaeli:book-typography' found in dataset
'dmlig'

But the entries do exist in the bib file, and a minimal example works.

In both cases, the setup looks like:

\usebtxdataset[dmlig][dm-ligatures/references.bib]
\setupbtx[dataset=dmlig]
\usebtxdefinitions[apa]
\setupbtx[apa:cite][alternative=num]

I don’t know what to look for. Any hints?

Hraban

* Re: Bibliography problem
@ 2012-02-02 22:03 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-02-02 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/02/2012 05:26 AM, Pontus Lurcock wrote:
> ere's a long-standing problem I have with BibTeX databases in ConTeXt
> Mk IV (I'm currently using version 2011.10.01). If there are multiple
> publications with the same authors and year, they get suffixes a, b,
> etc. as is usually expected in bibliographies. Unfortunately these
> suffixes appear even if only one of the works is actually cited.
> Minimal example:
>
> ==>  test.bib<==
> @book{book2,
>    title = {The second book},
>    author = {Ann Author},
>    year = {2000},
> }
>
> @book{book1,
>    title = {The first book},
>    author = {Ann Author},
>    year = {2000},
> }
>
> ==>  test.tex<==
> \setupbibtex[database={test},sort=author]
> \setuppublications[sorttype=bbl,refcommand=authoryear]
> \starttext
> % \cite[book1] % uncomment to demonstrate ordering problem
> \cite[book2]
> \placepublications[criterium=text]
> \stoptext
>
> This gives a citation of Author (2000a) despite there being no Author
> (2000b). A related problem is that even when both suffixes are used,
> they are applied in the order of the original .bib file rather than in
> the order of the typeset bibliography. So if \cite[book1] is
> uncommented in the above example, the bibliography contains Author
> (2000b) followed by Author (2000a).
>
> I'm guessing that problem is that the whole BibTeX file is processed
> into ConTeXt's \startpublication...stoppublication syntax, not just
> the cited works. I can't see a way around the this, other than
> creating a custom .bib file for each document with the problematic
> entries removed or re-ordered. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You're right, there is a bug in here. For the publication list, you can
use the option

\setuppublicationlist[maybeyear=off]

which will switch off the 2000a in the publication list, but not in the
citation itself, so this becomes inconsistent. Hans, this should be
fixed if you have the time:

1. Suffix should only be added if there is more than one identical
combination author-year (and it should only be added if an authoryear
cite command is used, it doesn't make sense for other citation styles).

2. Suffixes should be added according to the order in the publication
list, not according to the order of citation.

3. At one point, it would be good if context could write a bbl file
which contains only the cited items, not the entire bib file.

Thomas

* Bibliography problem
@ 2012-02-02  4:26 Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2012-02-02  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

Here's a long-standing problem I have with BibTeX databases in ConTeXt
[...]

Thanks,

Pont

* Bibliography problem
@ 2012-01-27 20:23 Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2012-01-27 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'm having a problem with bibliographies.

---- Example file ----------------------------------------

\setupbibtex[database=test]
\setuppublications[alternative=apa]

\starttext
Here is a cite command: \cite[hh2010a]

%\placepublications[criterium=all]

\stoptext

---- test.bib ----------------------------------------

@STRING{hh = {Hans Hagen}}

@ARTICLE{hh2010a,
  author = hh,
  title = {The Font Name Mess},
  journal = {MAPS},
  year = {2010},
  volume = {40},
  pages = {2-8},
  keywords = {context},
}

---- Log ----------------------------------------

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011051908 (rev 4277)
 \write18 enabled.
(2012bib.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2012.01.25 14:16 MKIV  fmt: 2012.1.26  int: english/english

system          > cont-new.mkiv loaded
(/Users/michaelgreen/Applications/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
)
system          > 2012bib.top loaded
(2012bib.top)
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
publications    > wrote a new auxiliary file \jobname.aux
This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2011)
The top-level auxiliary file: 2012bib.aux
The style file: cont-no.bst
Database file #1: test.bib
publications    > loading formatting style from bibl-apa
(/Users/michaelgreen/Applications/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/bib/bibl-apa.tex){/Users/michaelgreen/Applications/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > typescripts > unknown: library 'loc'
{/Users/michaelgreen/Applications/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{/Users/michaelgreen/Applications/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}
fonts           > fallback modern rm 12pt is loaded
check           > missing or ungrouped '=' after 'pubs' in line 5 (68>:)
publications    > loading database from 2012bib.bbl
(2012bib.bbl)
! Extra \endgroup.

system          > tex > error on line 5 in file 2012bib.tex: Extra  ...

1     \setupbibtex[database=test]
2     \setuppublications[alternative=apa]
3
4     \starttext
5 >>  Here is a cite command: \cite[hh2010a]
6
7     %\placepublications[criterium=all]
8
9     \stoptext

\docite ...else \donumberedcite {#1}\fi \endgroup

<to be read again>

l.5 Here is a cite command: \cite[hh2010a]

?