* Re: ConTeXt: math formulars + framed/grey background
@ 1998-10-18 22:48 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-18 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> BTW: What's about \fraction{}{} (or actually '{\fraction{}{}}') of
> context vs. {...\over...} of plain, which should be favoured?

Ha, that one *is* present in dutch, \breuk; because that one is also
used outside the math world, I suggest just to add the translations to
mult-con.tex.

breuk: breuk fraction someprobablyratherlonggermanword

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: ConTeXt: math formulars + framed/grey background
@ 1998-10-18 13:52 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-18 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tobias Burnus, ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> So definately a prefix method. Not necesarily the LaTeX syntax
> though. I'd prefer something like \radical[...=...]{n}{x}.  Let me
> return on this later, OK? Hans, please don't implement anything yet.

Ok, I'll only do the \mframed based on yours.

@ 1998-10-17 20:22 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> But now, I've another problem; I'd like to type:
>
> f(x) = .........
>      = ...+...+...+...
>        +...+...
>      = ...
> f(x) = .....

A warning: don't use $$ $$ directly, use

\placeformula
  $$ $$

\placeformula
  \startformula
  \stopformula

\startformula
\stopformula

(add [-] after \placeformula to surpress a number, say [ref] for a
reference, everything before the $$ or \start.. becomes a number
suffix.).

The next release will offer more consistent spacing (successive
formulas, inter paragraph space etc).

@ 1998-10-17 15:23 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1998-10-17 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> though. I'd prefer something like \radical[...=...]{n}{x}.  Let me
> return on this later, OK? Hans, please don't implement anything yet.

BTW: What's about \fraction{}{} (or actually '{\fraction{}{}}') of
context vs. {...\over...} of plain, which should be favoured?

Tobias

* Re: ConTeXt: math formulars + framed/grey background
@ 1998-10-17 15:16 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1998-10-17 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wolfgang Huber, ntg-context

 >> For a partial thing you needs something along the lines of:
 >>
 >> \def\mframed#1{\relax\ifmmode \vcenter{\hbox{\framed{$\ifinner
 >> \else \displaystyle \fi #1$}}}\else \framed{$\relax #1$}\fi}
 >>
 >> Which allows \mframed{\alpha}, but with slightly less than optimal
 >> spacing.

 HH> I get some useful examples I can try to overcome the 'something'
 HH> and make it permanent present. How should the spacing be? Did you
 HH> try \inframed?

Let me get back on these math things next month or so. I'm too busy
now to work all of this out right away. My intention is to start
building a new supp-mat.tex in two weeks. This will support all of the
AMS constructs and (optionally) do the breqn stuff that was presented
at TUG97, and also support the constructs & character entities from
MathML.

Greetings, Taco

--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --

From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1998-10-17 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tobias Burnus, ntg-context

 >> BTW: How to type matrices?

 HH> Rather plain I suppose.

Always use the plain TeX approach, it should all work.

 >> PS: Disscussion point: should we offer \sqrt[n]{x} as LaTeX does,
 >> or should we stick to plain ( \root n\of x )

 HH> Taco, what's your opinion on this?

The in-line method might become deprecated with the advent of NTS, so
I favour the prefix style. Same for \over, \atop etc. These inline
primitives create some nasty problems with internally `undecided`
subformulas. Some hard work is done on trying to remove them (since
that would consequently allow in-formula \fam switching).

@ 1998-10-16 17:23 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-16 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Wow, nice looking, concise and it even supports things like
> [background=screen]

Ha, try [background=tobias] and

\defineoverlay
  [tobias]
  [{\externfigure[oeps][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]}]

Of course you need an illustration tobias. BTW, you can also say:
[background={screen,tobias}] i.e. a whole bunch of backgrounds can be
provided.

> But now, I've another problem; I'd like to type:
>
> f(x) = .........
>      = ...+...+...+...
>        +...+...
>      = ...
> f(x) = .....
>
> BTW: How to type matrices?

Rather plain I suppose.

@ 1998-10-16 17:18 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-16 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wolfgang Huber, ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> An entire formula is easy:
>
>    \startbuffer
>    \startformula
>    \stopformula
>    \stopbuffer
>
>    \framed{\getbuffer}

Ok, although I'm not sure how the spacing around formulas is done then.

@ 1998-10-16 16:31 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1998-10-16 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Wow, nice looking, concise and it even supports things like
> > [background=screen]
>
> Ha, try [background=tobias] and
[...]

The point was that such a nice small definition is (due to ConTeXt
macros)
such powerfull; try this in a plain TeX only (or also in a LaTeX
environment)
you will only get a simple version (if you don't use very long macros),
but this won't fit in two lines :-)

Tobias

* Re: ConTeXt: math formulars + framed/grey background
@ 1998-10-16 14:58 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1998-10-16 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> For a partial thing you needs something along the lines of:
>
>         \def\mframed#1{\relax\ifmmode
>            \vcenter{\hbox{\framed{$\ifinner
>                                 \else \displaystyle \fi #1$}}}%
>         \else \framed{$\relax #1$}\fi}

Wow, nice looking, concise and it even supports things like
[background=screen]

But now, I've another problem; I'd like to type:

f(x) = .........
     = ...+...+...+...
       +...+...
     = ...
f(x) = .....

BTW: How to type matrices?

Groeten,

Tobias

@ 1998-10-16 13:37 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1998-10-16 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

 WH> Hi !
 >> I don't need it right now, but is there is simple why to frame
 >> everything within \{start|stop}formulas?

An entire formula is easy:

   \startbuffer
   \startformula
   \stopformula
   \stopbuffer

   \framed{\getbuffer}

For a partial thing you needs something along the lines of:

	\def\mframed#1{\relax\ifmmode
	   \vcenter{\hbox{\framed{$\ifinner
				\else \displaystyle \fi #1$}}}%
	\else \framed{$\relax #1$}\fi}

Which allows \mframed{\alpha}, but with slightly less than optimal
spacing.

 WH> That reminds me -- has there been work on the math-part of
 WH> context in the recent time?

No, but I promise I'll get around to that in the next couple of
months. We first had to get some extensions to the font mechanism in
place, and that work is now finished.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: ConTeXt: math formulars + framed/grey background
@ 1998-10-16 12:34 ` Wolfgang Huber
From: Wolfgang Huber @ 1998-10-16 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi !

> I don't need it right now, but is there is simple why to frame
> everything within \{start|stop}formulas?

That reminds me -- has there been work on the math-part of context in
the recent time?

TIA,

Wolfgang

"That's all very complicated" Fred Sinowatz , Austrian Chancellor
e-mail:hwolf@technix.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at		|	Wolfgang Huber

@ 1998-10-16 11:05 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1998-10-16 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I would like to type something like this:

+-----------------------+
|                       |
|  xyz = ........       |
|                       |
|      = ...........    |
|        ._____.        |
|      = |cccc |        |
         .____.
i.e. the |cccc| should be surrounded by a frame or having a grey
background
         ''''''
I don't need it right now, but is there is simple why to frame
everything within \{start|stop}formulas?

Groeten, regards, tsch"us,

Tobias