* how to convert font size to pt number ?
@ 2008-07-12 19:48 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-12 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

style={\switchtobodyfont[somefont,somefontsize]} digests font sizes
expressed in pt.

What's the command to convert font sizes ( for example \tfc ) to their
corresponding pt number ?

Alan

* Re: how to convert font size to pt number ?
@ 2008-07-12 20:05 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Alan Stone wrote:

> style={\switchtobodyfont[somefont,somefontsize]} digests font sizes
> expressed in pt.
>
> What's the command to convert font sizes ( for example \tfc ) to their
> corresponding pt number ?

See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Switching#Font_sizes

Aditya

* Re: how to convert font size to pt number ?
@ 2008-07-12 21:06   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-12 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your quick response Aditya.

I've read that too and unfortunately don't find anything on that page that
answers my question.

Hmmm...

Either the question was not clear enough or I've been smoking the carpet...
:O)

Let's try to formulate it otherwise...

With somefont defined through \definetypeface[somefont][...]

style={\switchtobodyfont[somefont,huge]} gives a compile error,
only, for example, style={\switchtobodyfont[somefont,14pt]} works

like in \setuphead[chapter][style={\switchtobodyfont[somefont,14pt]}]

I don't want to manually input some pt size but, for example, the \tfc or
huge corresponding pt size.

Therefore I'm looking for

- the ConTeXtMagicCommand to convert
\ConTexTMagicCommand[\tfc or huge] to "\tfc or huge size expressed in pt"

or

- some other ConTeXtSuperMagic trick to display the chapter heading in
somefont and \tfc or huge size

I guess I could \chapter{\tfc chaptertitle}, however I'm looking for
something more generic so I only have to input chapter{chaptertitle}.

Cheers,

@ 2008-07-12 21:20     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-07-12 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-07-12 um 23:06 schrieb Alan Stone:

> I guess I could \chapter{\tfc chaptertitle}, however I'm looking for
> something more generic so I only have to input chapter{chaptertitle}.

What's wrong with
\setuphead[chapter][style=\tfc] % or style={\tfc\yourfont}
?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: how to convert font size to pt number ?
@ 2008-07-12 22:05       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-12 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.07.2008 um 23:20 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> Am 2008-07-12 um 23:06 schrieb Alan Stone:
>>
>> I guess I could \chapter{\tfc chaptertitle}, however I'm looking for
>> something more generic so I only have to input chapter{chaptertitle}.
>

> What's wrong with
> \setuphead[chapter][style=\tfc] % or style={\tfc\yourfont}

\definefont[chapterfont][yourfont sa 1.728]

\setuphead[chapter][style=chapterfont]

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: how to convert font size to pt number ?
@ 2008-07-12 22:35     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-12 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Alan Stone wrote:

> Thanks for your quick response Aditya.
>
> I've read that too and unfortunately don't find anything on that page that
> answers my question.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> Either the question was not clear enough or I've been smoking the carpet...
> :O)

I wanted to say that by default, \tfa = 1.2 times \tf size, tfb is 1.44
times \tf size, tfc = 1.728 times \tf size, tfd = 2.074 times \tf size,
and tfe = 2.488 times \tf size. So you can always use

(in a 10 point document)

\definefont[chapterfont][Sans sa 1.728]
\setuphead[chapter][style=chapterfont]

> Let's try to formulate it otherwise...
>
> With somefont defined through \definetypeface[somefont][...]
>
> style={\switchtobodyfont[somefont,huge]} gives a compile error,
> only, for example, style={\switchtobodyfont[somefont,14pt]} works
>
> like in \setuphead[chapter][style={\switchtobodyfont[somefont,14pt]}]
>
> I don't want to manually input some pt size but, for example, the \tfc or
> huge corresponding pt size.
>

> Therefore I'm looking for
>
> - the ConTeXtMagicCommand to convert
> \ConTexTMagicCommand[\tfc or huge] to "\tfc or huge size expressed in pt"
>
> or
>
> - some other ConTeXtSuperMagic trick to display the chapter heading in
> somefont and \tfc or huge size

The default values of \tfa etc can be changed by \definefont. If these
values have not been changed, then you can use:

\definefont[chapterfont][Sans sa \magfactor3]
\setuphead[chapter][style=chapterfont]

\magfactor is defined in font-ini.tex as

\def\magfactor#1%
   {\ifcase#1 1.000\or1.200\or1.440\or1.728\or2.074\or2.488\or1\fi}

so \magfactor 3 is equal to \tfc in size. You can also use a more plain
TeX like syntax as

\definefont[chapterfont][Sans scaled \magstep3]

where \magstep is defined in font-ini.tex as

\def\magstep#1%
   {\ifcase#1 \@m\or1200\or1440\or1728\or2074\or2488\or\@m\fi}

Aditya

* Re: how to convert font size to pt number ?
@ 2008-07-13  3:52       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-13  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Alan Stone wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your quick response Aditya.
>>
>> I've read that too and unfortunately don't find anything on that page that
>> answers my question.
>>
>> Hmmm...
>>
>> Either the question was not clear enough or I've been smoking the carpet...
>> :O)
>
> I wanted to say that by default, \tfa = 1.2 times \tf size, tfb is 1.44
> times \tf size, tfc = 1.728 times \tf size, tfd = 2.074 times \tf size,
> and tfe = 2.488 times \tf size. So you can always use
>
> (in a 10 point document)

This will actually work for any sized document.

@ 2008-07-13  7:56         ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-13  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simple solutions from generous posters. Thanks all. I was too focussed on
the switchtobodyfont command.

Have a great weekend,

@ 2008-07-13 11:16           ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-13 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

(1) \setupbodyfont[somebodyfont,12pt]
\definefont[chapterfont][somefont sa 1.728]
\setuphead[chapter][style=chapterfont]

gives a compile error at \chapter{chapter title} :

! Font \**chapterfont**:=somefont at 20.736pt not loadable: metric data not
found or bad

However

\setuphead[chapter][style=\tfc\somefont] works OK.

\setupbodyfont[somefont,12pt] also work OK, while

\setupbodyfont[chapterfont,12pt] defaults to LM font

Uh ?

(2) fc-list output extract

Times New
Roman:style=Regular,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,thường,Arrunta
Times New
Roman:style=Italic,cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,Πλάγια,Kursivoitu,Italique,Dőlt,Corsivo,Cursief,kursywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Poševno,nghiêng,Etzana
Times New
Roman:style=Bold,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έντονα,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiona,Negrito,Полужирный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,đậm,Lodia
Times New Roman:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurzíva,fed
kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα Πλάγια,Negrita Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras
Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet
Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Tučná
kurzíva,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko poševno,nghiêng đậm,Lodi etzana

With the following typescript

    \starttypescript[serif][timesnewroman]
        % --- MS TrueType Core Font ---
        \definefontsynonym[Dummy][name:Times New Roman][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym[DummyBold][name:Times New Roman
Bold][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym[DummyItalic][name:Times New Roman
Italic][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym[DummyBoldItalic][name:Times New Roman Bold
Italic][features=default]
    \stoptypescript
    \starttypescript[serif][timesnewroman][name]
        \definefontsynonym[Serif][Dummy][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifBold][DummyBold][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][DummyItalic][features=default]

\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][DummyBoldItalic][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted][DummyItalic][features=default]

\definefontsynonym[SerifIBoldSlanted][DummyBoldItalic][features=default]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][Dummy][features=default]
    \stoptypescript
    \definetypeface[myBodyFont][rm][serif][timesnewroman][default]

\bf displays in bold italic (??) so something is wrong/missing. Seems to be
something with the style=... stuff. Fruitlessly searched the wiki and
mailing list archive.

@ 2008-07-13 12:00             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-13 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2008 um 13:16 schrieb Alan Stone:

> (1) \setupbodyfont[somebodyfont,12pt]
> \definefont[chapterfont][somefont sa 1.728]
> \setuphead[chapter][style=chapterfont]
>
> gives a compile error at \chapter{chapter title} :
>
> ! Font \**chapterfont**:=somefont at 20.736pt not loadable: metric
> data not found or bad

somefont is only a placeholder for a real font name or a style like
Serif, Sans ...

> However
>
> \setuphead[chapter][style=\tfc\somefont] works OK.

\setuphead[chapter][style=\tfc\somefont]

\starttext

\chapter{Chapter}

\stoptext

This gives me a error message, give us working samples.

> \setupbodyfont[somefont,12pt] also work OK, while

How should we know, it's hard to give you an answer with just one line
of code.

> \setupbodyfont[chapterfont,12pt] defaults to LM font
>
> Uh ?

You have no typeface with the name 'chapterfont'.

> (2) fc-list output extract
>
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Regular
> ,Normal
> ,obyčejné
> ,Standard
> ,Κανονικά
> ,Normaali
> ,Normál
> ,Normale
> ,Standaard
> ,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,thường,Arrunta
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Italic
> ,cursiva
> ,kurzíva
> ,kursiv
> ,Πλάγια
> ,Kursivoitu
> ,Italique
> ,Dőlt
> ,Corsivo
> ,Cursief
> ,kursywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Poševno,nghiêng,Etzana
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Bold
> ,Negreta
> ,tučné
> ,fed
> ,Fett
> ,Έντονα
> ,Negrita
> ,Lihavoitu
> ,Gras
> ,Félkövér
> ,Grassetto
> ,Vet
> ,Halvfet
> ,Pogrubiona
> ,Negrito,Полужирный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,đậm,Lodia
> Times New Roman:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tučné
> kurzíva,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα Πλάγια,Negrita
> Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto
> Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito
> Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Tučná kurzíva,Fet
> Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko poševno,nghiêng đậm,Lodi etzana
>
> With the following typescript
>
>     \starttypescript[serif][timesnewroman]
>         % --- MS TrueType Core Font ---
>         \definefontsynonym[Dummy][name:Times New Roman]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[DummyBold][name:Times New Roman Bold]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[DummyItalic][name:Times New Roman Italic]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[DummyBoldItalic][name:Times New Roman
> Bold Italic][features=default]
>     \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [timesnewroman]
   \definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Regular]    [name:Times New
Roman]            [features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Italic]     [name:Times New Roman
Italic]     [features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Bold]       [name:Times New Roman
Bold]       [features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic] [name:Times New Roman
Bold Italic] [features=default]
\stoptypescript

>     \starttypescript[serif][timesnewroman][name]
>         \definefontsynonym[Serif][Dummy][features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifBold][DummyBold][features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][DummyItalic][features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][DummyBoldItalic]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted][DummyItalic]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifIBoldSlanted][DummyBoldItalic]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][Dummy][features=default]
>     \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [timesnewroman]
   \setups[font:fallback:serif]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [TimesNewRoman-Regular]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [TimesNewRoman-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [TimesNewRoman-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

>     \definetypeface[myBodyFont][rm][serif][timesnewroman][default]

\starttypescript [timesnewroman]
   \definetypeface [timesnewroman] [rm] [serif] [timesnewroman]
[default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[timesnewroman]
\setupbodyfont[timesnewroman]