* Re: Columns and different sizes
@ 1998-11-17 13:57 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-11-17 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:

> I am creating a flyer with a 3 column layout. Now I need to adapt the
> column-widths for the different columns. Something like this:
>
> \setupcolumns  % setup width for column 1
>   [1]
>   [width=0.4\hsize]
>
> \setupcolumns
>   [2]
>   [width=0.4\hsize]
>
> \setupcolumns
>   [3]
>   [width=0.1\hsize]
>
> \startcolumns

Haha. You want this in multi columns? TeX cannot do it, apart from the
usual hacks. But, you probably don't need multicolumns, try

\definieeralineas  % \defineparagraphs

It does exactly what you want (and a bit more).

> I can't find anything that looks like this. In fact I do not want 3
> columns, but only 2, and a small column look-alike-thing in the right
> margin. So a solution could be to create a two-column layout on a page
> with lot's of right-margin, and provide the text in the right-margin
> seperatly? Don't know how to do that either, but I can find that out
> myself (I hope).

Just define a wide pagelayout. If you really need margin for another
purpose too,
use

\setuptexts [margin] [left margin stuff] [right margin stuff]

The stuff can go into a \vbox to \leftmarginwidth{}

etc etc,

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

* Columns and different sizes
@ 2002-10-23 16:38 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2002-10-23 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I am creating a flyer with a 3 column layout. Now I need to adapt the
column-widths for the different columns. Something like this:

\setupcolumns  % setup width for column 1
  [1]
  [width=0.4\hsize]

\setupcolumns
  [2]
  [width=0.4\hsize]

\setupcolumns
  [3]
  [width=0.1\hsize]

\startcolumns

...My fantastic flyer text...

\stopcolumns

I can't find anything that looks like this. In fact I do not want 3
columns, but only 2, and a small column look-alike-thing in the right
margin. So a solution could be to create a two-column layout on a page
with lot's of right-margin, and provide the text in the right-margin
seperatly? Don't know how to do that either, but I can find that out
myself (I hope).

Any ideas?

Gilbert.

* Re: Columns and different sizes
@ 1998-11-17 14:27 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1998-11-17 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

 GvdD> Hi there,
 GvdD> I am creating a flyer with a 3 column layout. Now I need to adapt the
 GvdD> column-widths for the different columns. Something like this:

 GvdD> \setupcolumns  % setup width for column 1
 GvdD>   [1]
 GvdD>   [width=0.4\hsize]

etc...

If you don't mind calculating where the columns end yourself, you
might try something like the code below. It's a really nasty hack, but
it looks like what you had in mind:

- the first \rightskip is needed because the intercolumn space is
  breaking down on this hack.

- The size values may need some adjustment, since .4 + .4 + (a quarter
  of .4) = .9\hsize, not 1. Too lazy to redo the calcs.

- \startverysmall and \stopverysmall were inserted in two iterative
  passes, one after the other.

- This hack is basically plain text only, I think.

Greetings, Taco

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% begin
\stelkorpsin[10pt]
\stelkolommenin[n=3,balanceren=nee]

\def\setcolumnhsize% change an internal
  {\localcolumnwidth=.4\hsize
   \usercolumnwidth=\localcolumnwidth
   \hsize=\localcolumnwidth}

\def\startverysmall{% starts .1\hsize
  \begingroup
  {\parfillskip0pt\par}% this breaks the last par of column 2
  \noindent \rightskip = .75\hsize
  \hbadness = 10000
  \emergencystretch=3em}

\def\stopverysmall{% stops .1\hsize
  {\parfillskip0pt\par}% this breaks the last par of column 3
  \endgroup
  }

\starttekst
\startkolommen
\rightskip=1em
Hi there,

I am creating a flyer with a 3 column layout. Now I need to adapt the
column-widths for the different columns. Something like this:

...My fantastic flyer text...

I can't find anything that looks like this. In fact I do not want 3
columns, but only 2, and a small column look-alike-thing in the right
margin. So a solution could be to create a two-column layout on a page
with lot's of right-margin, and provide the text in the right-margin
seperatly? Don't know how to do that either, but I can find that out
myself (I hope).

%............... text between "I am" and "hope); repeated 5 more times,
% cut out of the email message for brevity.....

I am creating a flyer with a 3 column layout. Now I need to adapt the
column-widths for the different columns. Something like this:

...My fantastic flyer text...

I can't find anything that looks like this. In fact I do not want 3
columns,\startverysmall but only 2, and a small column look-alike-thing in the right
margin. So a solution could be to create a two-column layout on a page
with lot's of right-margin, and provide the text in the right-margin
seperatly? Don't know how to do that either, but I can find that out
myself (I hope).

I am creating a flyer with a 3 column layout. Now I need to adapt the
column-widths for the different columns.\stopverysmall Something like this:

...My fantastic flyer text...

I can't find anything that looks like this. In fact I do not want 3
columns, but only 2, and a small column look-alike-thing in the right
margin. So a solution could be to create a two-column layout on a page
with lot's of right-margin, and provide the text in the right-margin
seperatly? Don't know how to do that either, but I can find that out
myself (I hope).

Any ideas?

Gilbert.

\stopkolommen