* accents
@ 1999-01-29 17:57 Erik Frambach
From: Erik Frambach @ 1999-01-29 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

A question about accented characters. Which is the preferred method
to enter accented characters in a Context file?

Of course the traditional \"e \'o \~u \c{c} etc. works, but is there
perhaps a more user-friendly Context feature that I'm not aware of?
Are different input encodings accepted, similar to the LaTeX inputenc
package? If so, where can I find documentation on this?

Erik Frambach

* Re: accents
@ 1999-01-29 20:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-01-29 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Erik Frambach wrote:

> Of course the traditional \"e \'o \~u \c{c} etc. works, but is there
> perhaps a more user-friendly Context feature that I'm not aware of?
> Are different input encodings accepted, similar to the LaTeX inputenc
> package? If so, where can I find documentation on this?

Take a look at the font and enco files. Also at lang-ger.tex (look for
languagespecifics. Several things are supported. Any suggestions
welcome. Normally I tend to use \"e but direct composed characters are
also used, see enco-ibm/win for examples. (\useencoding[ibm] for
instance). In german (de) mode, "e etc is also supported. See language
specifics section in lang-ger. There is a rather advanced mechsnism for
defining your own composed stuff, see supp-lan for details. Most
recently I made pdfdocencoding accept "e and alike too. I'm still
working on this encoding (needed for sanitizing bookmarks).

Next week I'll mail you the updated chapter on fonts and languages.
Remind me.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

                     ConTeXt and PPCHTeX site: www.ntg.nl/context

* Re: accents
@ 1999-01-29 21:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-01-29 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Berend de Boer wrote:

> > A question about accented characters. Which is the preferred method
> > to enter accented characters in a Context file?
>
> Use a 8 bit TeX and fonts. Works sometimes fine :-)
>
> I'm not sure when 8bit chars break down, can remember things like the 8bit
> \"e that didn't translate well in pdf or maybe it didn't survive in pdf
> bookmarks or something like that.

There are several related processes involved.

(1) mapping from input onto internal character codes:

    traditional tex   : \"e
    german habits     : "e
    berends suggestion: \charXYZ, either direct of active

(2) Then comes the translation in glyphs,

    either a real one character glyph
    or a glyphs plus accent (composed character)
    a composed character with adapted spacing

(3) the output stage, for instance

    when using raw postscript/pdf,
    javascript,
    metapost,
    pdf bookmarks etc

So depending in the use, input is to be converted into output. This
happens is the enco-* files (used to be font-*) and part of it in
font-*, while language specific things happen in the lang-* files.

A lot of programming effort went into

  (1) robust passing of arguments
  (2) robust testing
  (3) efficient font swhicthing (mixed encodings possible!)
  (4) easy definitions

When users have specific wishes, lets coordinate the effort. There is
for instance a il2 encoding (i made that one for han the thanh who needs
it for czech) but I supose there is also something il1.

@ 1999-01-29 19:45 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-01-29 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A question about accented characters. Which is the preferred method
> to enter accented characters in a Context file?

Use a 8 bit TeX and fonts. Works sometimes fine :-)

I'm not sure when 8bit chars break down, can remember things like the 8bit
\"e that didn't translate well in pdf or maybe it didn't survive in pdf
bookmarks or something like that.

Groetjes,

Berend.