* [ntg-context] IPA Symbole (TIPA)
@ 1999-02-14 16:36 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-02-14 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

has somebody tried to adapt the TIPA (TeX IPA, IPA=International
Phonetic Alphabet) to ConTeXt?
(TIPA: CTAN/fonts/tipa/ )

Background: Someone asked me how he could type the phonetics of _one_
word.

I think it would be nice to have the complete symbols supported (but if
not, I use them with some
ugly def's.)

Presently I try to find out which definitions are needed either for a
complete support or for a -- let's call it hack (which is an
exaggeration).

Tobias

* Re: [ntg-context] IPA Symbole (TIPA)
@ 1999-02-15  8:32 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-02-15  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

    Tobias> Hi, has somebody tried to adapt the TIPA (TeX IPA,
    Tobias> IPA=International Phonetic Alphabet) to ConTeXt?  (TIPA:
    Tobias> CTAN/fonts/tipa/ )

    Tobias> Background: Someone asked me how he could type the
    Tobias> phonetics of _one_ word.

    Tobias> I think it would be nice to have the complete symbols
    Tobias> supported (but if not, I use them with some ugly def's.)

    Tobias> Presently I try to find out which definitions are needed
    Tobias> either for a complete support or for a -- let's call it
    Tobias> hack (which is an exaggeration).

Perhaps you _should_ go for the ugly solution at this moment.

Somewhere in the not-as-distant-as-I-would-like future, I will have to
write a decent support for TIPA (needed by Kluwer). It would be silly
to ask Hans to do that now if it has to be present in a month or three
anyway.

Taco

* Re: [ntg-context] IPA Symbole (TIPA)
@ 1999-02-15  9:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-02-15  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> has somebody tried to adapt the TIPA (TeX IPA, IPA=International
> Phonetic Alphabet) to ConTeXt?
> (TIPA: CTAN/fonts/tipa/ )
>
> Background: Someone asked me how he could type the phonetics of _one_
> word.
>
> I think it would be nice to have the complete symbols supported (but if
> not, I use them with some
> ugly def's.)
>
> Presently I try to find out which definitions are needed either for a
> complete support or for a -- let's call it hack (which is an
> exaggeration).

If you explain what is needed ... There is a lot of low level token
handling in context, and hooking something phonetic in it is not that
hard I guess.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl