* Re: howto use non-embedded TeX fonts in acrobat reader
@ 1999-03-02 15:45 Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-03-02 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Cheerio,

Taco wrote:
> I tried 6 out of the 8 files on Dante CTAN and they were all OK. The
> CMRs *are* embedded as subsets, which seems to be misinterpreted by
> your version of the Reader.

We are both talking about the source code documentation are we? Then, I
have a problem.

> The most important variable in any problem with the Reader is (as
> always) the version number of the Reader itself. Make sure you have
> the latest reader from Adobe's ftp site.

I tried with version 3.01 first, which is the latest version with full
text search. There is another version 3.02 without search that does not
make a change (and calls itself v. 3.01 during installation). I am only
talking about SUN Solaris stuff.

> Besides that, you are strongly advised to take the Context files
> from the NTG web server http://www.ntg.nl/context/ since the CTAN
> mirror is not always up-to-date.

This site has definitely other kinds of documentation: the source code
documentation files I was talking about are not in any .zip file. Most
of these *.pdf's that are ok to me (though it shows that there is no
JavaScript interpreter in my reader), but e.g. ms-co-nl.pdf is broken.
It has lines as "/BaseFont /GPFLKA+CMR10", what does GPFLKA+ mean?
Are there any differences between m?-co* and m?-cb* ?

> Third point that may be of interest: if you want to tell the Reader to
> use platform fonts, chances are pretty high that they have to be PFA
> format instead of PFB format. So you will probably have to run
> pfbtopfa or t1ascii on the files first.

They used to be pfb's, right. I used the pfb2pfa program that comes with
tetex (some early August 98 version). Now I have a lot of nice .pfa
files. A very neat idea to generate as my X server now can display them.
Anyway, acroread is unaffected :(.
--
Karsten Tinnefeld
				Silence is the perfectest herald of joy:

* Re: howto use non-embedded TeX fonts in acrobat reader
@ 1999-03-02 16:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-03-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater, ntg-context

Karsten Tinnefeld wrote:

> We are both talking about the source code documentation are we? Then, I
> have a problem.

Ah, that files. Probably pretty old. I'm currently setting up our site,
so expect newer stuff.

> This site has definitely other kinds of documentation: the source code
> documentation files I was talking about are not in any .zip file. Most
> of these *.pdf's that are ok to me (though it shows that there is no
> JavaScript interpreter in my reader), but e.g. ms-co-nl.pdf is broken.

Get the latest form plugin. It has the JS interpreter in it.

> It has lines as "/BaseFont /GPFLKA+CMR10", what does GPFLKA+ mean?

Some random prefix that makes sure the font caching works ok on embedded
fonts. Turn off all local font caching. When these files don't show up,
something is wrong with acrobat reader (new version 4.0 soon).

> Are there any differences between m?-co* and m?-cb* ?

Yes, the cb's are the beginners manuals. The co one is the (rather old)
dutch reference manual. I'm currently updating that one (also better
layout) and my collegue translates it into english.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

                     ConTeXt and PPCHTeX site: www.ntg.nl/context

* Re: howto use non-embedded TeX fonts in acrobat reader
@ 1999-03-03  8:03     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-03-03  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tinnefeld, ntg-context

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> ntg.nl are up to date, the files on http://frambach.eco.rug.nl/pragma/
> are definitve the latest.)

The latest, but I didn't generated them for long, so there may be
differences. Not that problematic anyway. Currently I lack the disk
space and processing power to easy generate them frequently. Some day

@ 1999-03-02 20:50   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-03-02 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> The most important variable in any problem with the Reader is (as
> always) the version number of the Reader itself. Make sure you have
> the latest reader from Adobe's ftp site.
Using Ghostscript 5.50 (5.10 might fail, but it should be also ok),
I have no problems, same with Acrobat Reader 3.01/Linux.

> Besides that, you are strongly advised to take the Context files
> from the NTG web server http://www.ntg.nl/context/ since the CTAN
> mirror is not always up-to-date.

The PDF-Files on CTAN are rather old (I think there is only documented
source and PPCHTeX anyway), but the files in the base and modules
subdirectory _are_ up to date (I don't know whether those one
ntg.nl are up to date, the files on http://frambach.eco.rug.nl/pragma/
are definitve the latest.)

Regards, Gr"u"se, Groeten,

Tobias

--
Tobias Burnus
Troppauer Str. 15

* Re: howto use non-embedded TeX fonts in acrobat reader
@ 1999-03-02 17:05 Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-03-02 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes, but uploading takes its time. The html stuf is running now, part of
> the zippes is there, but the big picture not yet. I currently reach 1K
> per minute ftp speed -)

There is obviously not much a difference in tracerouting
www.pragma-ade.nl and www.tinnefeld.com ;)

> Hm, I'll take a look at the rme one. Docstrip? The documentaion styles
> are not yet public. I still need to document them. You can however strip
> with texutil, but that in itself is of not much use.

Take it as an example for "usual" documentation. Like a dvi/ps file. Or
the GNU config README/INSTALL/LICENCE files.
--

@ 1999-03-02 16:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-03-02 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karsten Tinnefeld wrote:

> > Ah, that files. Probably pretty old. I'm currently setting up our site,
> > so expect newer stuff.
>
> When they appear on www.pragma-ade.nl, they are new, right?

Yes, but uploading takes its time. The html stuf is running now, part of
the zippes is there, but the big picture not yet. I currently reach 1K
per minute ftp speed -)

> Ah, no. I was not talking about contents, but about encoding, since
> m?-cb* worked. Contents (or should-be-contents for me ;) is clear from
> the web pages.

The cb's are produced by pdftex, the co is an old distiller one.

@ 1999-03-02 16:56 Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-03-02 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> My Linux version does not have any problem with them, but that proves
> precisely nothing except that perhaps Linux is better supported by
> Adobe.

Arggh, it works for me on linux, too. Unbelievable.
--

@ 1999-03-02 16:54   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-03-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Karsten> Cheerio, Taco wrote:
    >> I tried 6 out of the 8 files on Dante CTAN and they were all
    >> OK. The CMRs *are* embedded as subsets, which seems to be
    >> misinterpreted by your version of the Reader.

    Karsten> We are both talking about the source code documentation
    Karsten> are we? Then, I have a problem.

I hope so: the files from generic/doc (supp-*.pdf and a few others).

    >> The most important variable in any problem with the Reader is
    >> (as always) the version number of the Reader itself. Make sure
    >> you have the latest reader from Adobe's ftp site.

    Karsten> I tried with version 3.01 first, which is the latest
    Karsten> version with full text search. There is another version
    Karsten> 3.02 without search that does not make a change (and
    Karsten> calls itself v. 3.01 during installation). I am only
    Karsten> talking about SUN Solaris stuff.

My Linux version does not have any problem with them, but that proves
precisely nothing except that perhaps Linux is better supported by
Adobe.

    >> Besides that, you are strongly advised to take the Context
    >> files from the NTG web server http://www.ntg.nl/context/ since
    >> the CTAN mirror is not always up-to-date.

    Karsten> This site has definitely other kinds of documentation:
    Karsten> the source code documentation files I was talking about
    Karsten> are not in any .zip file. Most of these *.pdf's that are
    Karsten> ok to me (though it shows that there is no JavaScript
    Karsten> interpreter in my reader), but e.g. ms-co-nl.pdf is
    Karsten> broken.  It has lines as "/BaseFont /GPFLKA+CMR10", what
    Karsten> does GPFLKA+ mean?  Are there any differences between
    Karsten> m?-co* and m?-cb* ?

The GPFL.. portion indicates that this is a subsetted font.

There are differences between the different PDF files, but I don't
know those off-hand. I assume Hans can (and will) tell you right away.

I'm sorry that I can't help you any further. The problem seems to be
SUN-only.

Good luck again,

Taco
--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --

* Re: howto use non-embedded TeX fonts in acrobat reader
@ 1999-03-02 16:42 Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-03-02 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater, ntg-context

> Ah, that files. Probably pretty old. I'm currently setting up our site,
> so expect newer stuff.

When they appear on www.pragma-ade.nl, they are new, right?

> Get the latest form plugin. It has the JS interpreter in it.

Done, this is working now.

@ 1999-03-02 14:05 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-03-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Karsten> Hans talk at DANTE conference in Dortmund was quite
    Karsten> impressive, thus I liked to take a look at
    Karsten> context. Unfortunately, the context directory tree as on
    Karsten> CTAN contains some pdf documentation that uses TeX fonts
    Karsten> but does not have them embedded. I skimmed though this
    Karsten> mailinglists archive but did not find an answer to my
    Karsten> problem:

I tried 6 out of the 8 files on Dante CTAN and they were all OK. The
CMRs *are* embedded as subsets, which seems to be misinterpreted by
your version of the Reader.

The most important variable in any problem with the Reader is (as
always) the version number of the Reader itself. Make sure you have
the latest reader from Adobe's ftp site.

Besides that, you are strongly advised to take the Context files
from the NTG web server http://www.ntg.nl/context/ since the CTAN
mirror is not always up-to-date.

Third point that may be of interest: if you want to tell the Reader to
use platform fonts, chances are pretty high that they have to be PFA
format instead of PFB format. So you will probably have to run
pfbtopfa or t1ascii on the files first.

Greetings and good luck,

Taco

* howto use non-embedded TeX fonts in acrobat reader
@ 1999-03-02 12:33 Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-03-02 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans talk at DANTE conference in Dortmund was quite impressive, thus I
liked to take a look at context. Unfortunately, the context directory
tree as on CTAN contains some pdf documentation that uses TeX fonts but
does not have them embedded. I skimmed though this mailinglists archive
but did not find an answer to my problem:

I did not manage to tell Acrobat Reader to use the bluesky CM fonts I
provided it with under SUN Solaris. On the screen, unknown characters
(i.e. every character in context/generic/doc/*pdf) are displayed as big
dots and small dots, on the printer they are all replaced by Helvetica
which does not have ligatures and other special chars (not to tell
about the kerning).

UNIX Acroread has a Fonts directory with some base PS T1 fonts and an
AcroRead.upr config file. I linked the bluesky/cm fonts therein and
recreated AcroRead.upr with the Display PostScript makepsres command -
it added lines like the following:
FontFamily
[...]
Computer Modern=LCMSS8,LCMSS8,LCMSSB8,LCMSSB8,LCMSSI8,LCMSSI8,MB10,CMB10,\
MBSY10,CMBSY10,MBX10,CMBX10,MBX12,CMBX12,MBX5,CMBX5,MBX6,CMBX6,MBX7,CMBX7,\
MBX8,CMBX8,MBX9,CMBX9,MBXSL10,CMBXSL10,MBXTI10,CMBXTI10,MCSC10,CMCSC10,\
MDUNH10,CMDUNH10,MEX10,CMEX10,\
[...]
.
FontOutline
CMB10=cmb10.pfb
CMBSY10=cmbsy10.pfb
CMBX10=cmbx10.pfb
CMBX12=cmbx12.pfb
[...]

Acroread does read the file (it complained about a typo) but does not
understand or realize the changes. Did I do anything wrong? Are the
documents buggy?