* ConTeXt: Math: Fraktur/calligraphic letters, RSFS
@ 1999-03-14 19:23 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-03-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

how can I access the Fraktur letters of AMS-TeX ($\frak A$), the
calligraphic letters (LaTeX: $\cal A$ or \mathcal; what does \cg do?)
and the Ralph Smith Formal Script (RSFM; LaTeX: \mathscr).

                              * * *

Hmm, I think I have to read a lot of source and TeX-books to get an
overview
about which packages are available.
Concerning \frak a grep found this:
  font-ams.tex:203:%D \def\frak#1{{\fam\eufmfam\relax#1}}
  font-eul.tex:18:   mc=eufm10 at 12pt]
I nethertheless don't get it why it isn't supported yet.

Concernig \cg / calligraphic I found some definitions in "Unknown
Defaults"
font-unk.tex, which don't perform anything real.

Adding RSFM should be really simple (thank you, Taco, for providing
Type-One
fonts of this) -- but I'm not totally sure how to do it. (I will try it
tomorrow.)

Tobias

--
Tobias Burnus
Troppauer Str. 15

* Re: ConTeXt: Math: Fraktur/calligraphic letters, RSFS
@ 1999-03-15 11:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-03-15 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> how can I access the Fraktur letters of AMS-TeX ($\frak A$), the
> calligraphic letters (LaTeX: $\cal A$ or \mathcal; what does \cg do?)
                    plain ^^^: \cal

\cg is just like \rm, \ss, \tt and \hw: a full set of some style. \cg
and \hw are only defined for Lucida. All are rather heavy font switches.

> Hmm, I think I have to read a lot of source and TeX-books to get an
> overview
> about which packages are available.

M. Dowes of AMS is doing some clever things currently. When taco and I
have some time to spend, we will make a beautiful math module.

>   font-ams.tex:203:%D \def\frak#1{{\fam\eufmfam\relax#1}}
>   font-eul.tex:18:   mc=eufm10 at 12pt]
> I nethertheless don't get it why it isn't supported yet.

Well, because %D makes sure \frak is not defined, and the mc is bound to
the euler/concrete macros.

> Concernig \cg / calligraphic I found some definitions in "Unknown
> Defaults"
> font-unk.tex, which don't perform anything real.

As meant to.

> fonts of this) -- but I'm not totally sure how to do it. (I will try it
> tomorrow.)

This should go into font-ini.tex, just like the OldStyle:

\definefont [frak] [Fraktur     sa \currentfontscale]
\definefont [goth] [Gothic      sa \currentfontscale]
\definefont [cal]  [Caligraphic sa \currentfontscale]

\definefontsynonym [Fraktur]     [unknown]
\definefontsynonym [Gothic]      [unknown]
\definefontsynonym [Caligraphic] [unknown]

And this should go into font-cmr or whatever else font definition file.
Simply linking logical names to file names.

\definefontsynonym [Fraktur]     [eufm10]
\definefontsynonym [Gothic]      [eufm10]
\definefontsynonym [Caligraphic] [cmsy10]

And then, you can say:

\frak Tobias \goth Burnus \cal CHEMICUS

Beware, there is no family support in this solution, which is not that
problemantic here. When taco has finished his fonts and symbols project,
we will come with a decent solution for the lack of families.
(Everything else would be and can be considered a hack).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE