* Figure inclusion and stuff
@ 1999-03-31 13:58 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-03-31 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi CONTeXt users,

I discovered a change in the latest context (cont-tfm.zip from
www.praga-ade.nl).

Usually I setup figure inclusions like this:

  \setupexternalfigues[directory=figures]

And I have a help.eps figure in the local directory, *and* in the sub-dir
figures. The old context, took the one from the figures directory, while the
new one uses help.eps from the current (local) directory.

This was easily found (you can check the log-files), and I re-arranged my
own things in the directory stuff. The newer method of figure inclusion
makes more sense to me.

O yeah, It seems that the best setting in texexec.ini for me is atpragma,
this is probably caused by web2c 7.2 from TeXlive III.

Gilbert.

* Re: Figure inclusion and stuff
@ 1999-03-31 15:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-03-31 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: context

Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:

> I discovered a change in the latest context (cont-tfm.zip from
> www.praga-ade.nl).
>
> Usually I setup figure inclusions like this:
>
>   \setupexternalfigues[directory=figures]
>
> And I have a help.eps figure in the local directory, *and* in the sub-dir
> figures. The old context, took the one from the figures directory, while the
> new one uses help.eps from the current (local) directory.

Which is what you expect. You can turn that off by saying (in your
cont-sys.tex file):

\setupexternalfigures[location=global]

(default: {local,global} so both local and global)

> This was easily found (you can check the log-files), and I re-arranged my
> own things in the directory stuff. The newer method of figure inclusion
> makes more sense to me.

You can specify a set of path's: directory={a,b,c} ; use / on dos!)

When you say \runutilityfiletrue, and no dimensions can be found in the
illustration (in pdftex in most cases the dimensions can be found)
context runs texutil, which can parse tif, png, jpg, eps and pdf.

When you call for an non existing figure, you will see a lot of
searching done. When in deep trouble, say:

  \traceexternalfigurestrue

and you will see even more.

Also changed: always inserted at 100 scale and scaled using normal
scaling (needed due to object reuse).

In case one didn't notice: context does try to insert the best available
figure, so when you have an eps and tif, the eps will be included when
your dvi driver supports it. You can best not specify a type or
extension, let context determine things. Funny side effect: when there
is no figure but a tex file present, context will run that one. Reason?
You can say:

\startbuffer
  some table
\stopbuffer

\externalfigure[buffer][width=10cm]

etc etc.

When put in a tex file, say for instance: \externalfigure[something.tex]
and you have all scaling things at hand!

> O yeah, It seems that the best setting in texexec.ini for me is atpragma,
> this is probably caused by web2c 7.2 from TeXlive III.

In tetex and fptex, the default tetex settingw can best be used (texlive
IV).
Of course you can add an 'atlogin' section for you own use too.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE