* Printing paper size S4
@ 1999-04-27 10:31 Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-04-27 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Now that my Context installation is no longer complaining about stack size
(thanks for the help, btw - it turned out I had a dodgy \def in one of my
includes), I have a question about printing.  My document is size S4, ie

\setuppapersize[S4][S4]

I am typesetting as PDF (with pdftex), view with Acroread 3.02 and get a
nice 400x300pt on the screen.  However, when I print, the document appears
too far down and to the left.  If I try printing bigger than 100%, it
moves even further to the right so that part of the document is off the
page.  Selecting to print as landscape doesn't seem to improve things.  My
guess is that the BoundingBox isn't where it is supposed to be.  I'm not
much of a PDF guru, but I'd say the BoundingBox (0 0 399 299) is correct
given the MediaBox in the PDF file ([0 0 398.5 298.88]).

Is this a known problem?  Is there a better way to print a document of
this size?  Ideally, I want to print it scaled so that it takes up as much
of a landscape A4 page as possible.

Oh, Ghostscript spits the dummy completely so I'm more or less forced to
use Acroread.  I get the same results on Solaris and IRIX.

- Matthew

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* Re: Printing paper size S4
@ 1999-04-27 12:20 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-04-27 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Baker wrote:

> I am typesetting as PDF (with pdftex), view with Acroread 3.02 and get a
> nice 400x300pt on the screen.  However, when I print, the document appears
> too far down and to the left.  If I try printing bigger than 100%, it

You can set up acrobat to 'print fit' which solves this problem.

> Is this a known problem?  Is there a better way to print a document of
> this size?  Ideally, I want to print it scaled so that it takes up as much
> of a landscape A4 page as possible.

You have a lot of control over the mapping. Try this (can be mixed in
one document):

\setupoutput[pdftex] \setupbackgrounds[page][background=screen]

\starttext

\setuppapersize[S4][A4] \setuplayout[location=middle] A centered page on
A4. \page

\setuppapersize[S4][A4] \setuplayout[location={top,left}] Moved to the
top. \page

\setuppapersize[S4][S4] A typical screen page. \page

\setuppapersize[S4][A4] \setuplayout[scale=1.5] Scaled. \page

\setuppapersize[S4][A4,landscape] \setuplayout[scale=2] Landscaped and
scaled.

\stoptext

[[ Acro 4 has quite some more 'boxes' like printbox. When I find myself
some spare time, I'll implement support for this. It's one way to get
rid of navigational menus. ]]

> Oh, Ghostscript spits the dummy completely so I'm more or less forced to
> use Acroread.  I get the same results on Solaris and IRIX.

Hm. My GS here works ok. But Tobias is the GS guru amongst us, so maybe
he knows.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Printing paper size S4
@ 1999-04-28 14:50 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-04-28 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Hi Matthew,

> much of a PDF guru, but I'd say the BoundingBox (0 0 399 299) is correct
> given the MediaBox in the PDF file ([0 0 398.5 298.88]).
This smells like rounding differences during the calculatation, but this
shouldn't harm.

> Oh, Ghostscript spits the dummy completely so I'm more or less forced to
> use Acroread.  I get the same results on Solaris and IRIX.
Which version of GhostScript did you try?
You should have at least GNU Ghostscript 5.10, better Aladdin Ghostscript 5.50,
and if this doesn't help, you might try a public beta from
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/aladdin/tester.html (GS 5.8x or so).

Tobias
--
"This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as the day the
night /