* Re: Page Layout
@ 1999-06-07  9:50 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-06-07  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Is there such a thing available in Context?

Not really, and Context doesn't show all boxes (like edges), so what I
usually do is this:

\def\BOX#1#2{\framed[width=#1,height=#2]{}}

And then:

\setuptexttexts
  [edge]
  [\BOX\leftedgewidth,\textheight]
  [\BOX\rightedgewidth,\textheight]

This shows some boxes on places where you want it. If this clobbers your
usual stuff, you can use overlays and backgrounds to do so. It is not
exactly the same as \showlayout etc, but it gets the job done:

\defineoverlay[BACKFRAME][{\BOX\overlaywidth\overlayheight}]

\setupbackgrounds
  [text]
  [leftedge]
  [background=BACKFRAME]

This also shows the offset if you had one.

The \showlayout macro creates a solid filled box, which clobbers all
backgrounds, I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but sometimes I do
not want to have the backgrounds clobbered, especially if I use offsetted
backgrounds.

So ok, there is no in-the-box solution, but as usual, you can roll your own.

Happy experimenting, Gilbert.

* Re: Page Layout
@ 1999-06-07 11:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-07 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, David Arnold

Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:

> \setupbackgrounds
>   [text]
>   [leftedge]
>   [background=BACKFRAME]
>
> This also shows the offset if you had one.

Well, then how about just saying:

\setupbackgrounds
  [text][leftedge][frame=on]

given that the leftedge has a width,

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: page layout
@ 2010-04-08 11:55                 ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2010-04-08 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:27:48 +0200
Sebastien Mengin <sebastien-listes@edilibre.net> scribit:

> Le 07 avril 2010 à 03:16, Vianney le Clément a écrit:
> > > I'm trying to find a French equivalent for back/cutspace... any idea?
> >
> > Marge intérieure / marge extérieure?
>
> No, this would be the equivalent of Inner margin / outer margin, I
> guess.
>
> The thing is that I don't know and don't find printers terminology using
> "backspace" or "cutspace".
>
> In French, we also have "petit fond" and "grand fond", that might be
> what I'm looking for, but not sure.
>
> It's not procrastination, by the way: I'd just like to get a clear
> picture of the concepts behind context terminology and, eventually, try
> to translate them in order to help new users (and myself!) to get in the
> way easily.

ask Jacques André

> --
> Sébastien Mengin
> Édition et logiciels libres
> < Mise en page avec LaTeX >
> http://edilibre.net

René Bastian
www.pythoneon.org
www.musiques-rb.org
http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/

* Re: page layout
@ 2010-04-07 14:19                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-07 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-4-2010 3:27, Sebastien Mengin wrote:
> Le 07 avril 2010 à 03:16, Vianney le Clément a écrit:
>>> I'm trying to find a French equivalent for back/cutspace... any idea?
>>
>> Marge intérieure / marge extérieure?
>
> No, this would be the equivalent of Inner margin / outer margin, I
> guess.
>
> The thing is that I don't know and don't find printers terminology using
> "backspace" or "cutspace".

well, it was translated (not by me) from rugwit (rug == back as in
Scratch my Back (http://www.petergabriel.com/scratchmyback/)) and snijwit

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: page layout
@ 2010-04-07 13:46                     ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-07 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 07 avril 2010 à 03:39, Vianney le Clément a écrit:
> > "retourarriere" is a litteral translation (to my opinion) and is not
> > reflecting what the keyword "backspace" really means. In fact, I find it
> > quite exotic in a definition of a page layout...
>
> I agree on that one. Maybe we can try some literal translation of the
> dutch terms:
> backspace -> rugwit -> blanc de dos?
> cutspace -> snijwit -> blanc de coupure?

Not bad at all, I think.
Maybe "blanc de coupe" would be a little bit better.

But I'd rather follow, for example:
http://www.alain.les-hurtig.org/varia/empagement.html who uses "petit
fond" et "grand fond". It has the advantage to use a professional
terminology, which is easier to fall back to when discovering the
context system. No?

--

@ 2010-04-07 13:39                   ` Vianney le Clément
From: Vianney le Clément @ 2010-04-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-07 13:31                 ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-07 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 07 avril 2010 à 03:23, Taco Hoekwater a écrit:

> Vianney le Clément wrote:
> >> I'm trying to find a French equivalent for back/cutspace... any idea?
> >

> mult-def.lua holds the database of translations of keywords. This
> database is used to create the mult-xx files for context mkii.

Thanks.

--

@ 2010-04-07 13:27               ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-07 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-07 13:23               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-04-07 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vianney le Clément wrote:
>> I'm trying to find a French equivalent for back/cutspace... any idea?

mult-def.lua holds the database of translations of keywords. This
database is used to create the mult-xx files for context mkii.

In there you will find:

  ["backspace"]={
   ["cs"]="odsazenizleva",
   ["de"]="rumpfweite",
   ["en"]="backspace",
   ["fr"]="retourarriere",
   ["it"]="spaziodietro",
   ["nl"]="rugwit",
   ["pe"]="",
   ["ro"]="spatiuspate",
  },
  ["cutspace"]={
   ["cs"]="cutspace",
   ["de"]="cutspace",
   ["en"]="cutspace",
   ["fr"]="cutspace",
   ["it"]="cutspace",
   ["nl"]="snijwit",
   ["pe"]="",
   ["ro"]="cutspace",
  },

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: page layout
@ 2010-04-07 13:16             ` Vianney le Clément
From: Vianney le Clément @ 2010-04-07 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-07 13:08           ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-07 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-06 21:45         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.04.10 21:23, schrieb Sebastien Mengin:
> Here's what I use, it's almost satisfying but I've a small amount of
> space at the left edge of each pages and the whole layout isn't
> double-side.

To set 1cm at the left side and 2cm at the right side use

\setuplayout
   [...,
    backspace=1cm, % inner/left margin
    cutspace=2cm,  % outer/right margin
    width=middle,  % calculate the textwidth
    ...]

A doublesided layout is enabled with

Wolfgang

* Re: page layout
@ 2010-04-06 20:54             ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-04-06 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 Apr 2010, at 22:05, Sebastien Mengin wrote:

> Le 06 avril 2010 à 09:43, Willi Egger a écrit:
>> Hi,
>>
>> \setuplayout
>>   [backspace=1cm, % am I right to comment out this line? - No
>> backspace
>> defines where the textblock starts from the left
>>    % leftedge=1cm,			%edge is reserved for screendocuments, where
>> you can
>> have margin and edge spaces
>
> Ok. Thanks again.
>
>>    % rightedge=2cm,
>>    % leftedgedistance=0cm,
>>    % rightedgedistance=0cm,
>>    leftmargin=1cm,
>>    leftmargindistance=0pt,
>>    rightmargin=2cm,
>>    rightmargindistance=0pt,
>>    % width=7cm, % either "fit" doesn't suppress the above mentionned
>>               % whitespace
>>    width=fit,
>>    topspace=1cm,
>>    bottomspace=1.5cm,
>>    %header=...,
>>    headerdistance=1cm,
>>    %footer=...,
>>    %footerdistance=...,
>>    height=middle,
>>    location=middle,
>>    marking=on]
>
> I still feel like there's some "magic" knowledge involved ;)
> But I guess that with time I'm going to get used to this new -- at
> least
> for me -- terminology.

Indeed, naming differs from other TEX-tastes

> Are those keywords "translatable" (or already translated)? I read that
> context commands are localized.

you can run ConTeXt with french interface. For translated keywords
look into mult-def.lua

Willi

> Sincerely,
>
> --
> Sébastien Mengin
> Édition et logiciels libres
> < Mise en page avec LaTeX >
> http://edilibre.net

> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: page layout
@ 2010-04-06 20:21         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-06 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-4-2010 9:23, Sebastien Mengin wrote:
> Le 06 avril 2010 à 08:52, Willi Egger a écrit:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
>> you will have to give more paramters to the \setuplayout command

>> 	leftmargign=1cm,
>> 	leftmargindistance=.5\em,
>>          rightmargin=2cm,
>> 	rightmargindistance=.5\em,
>>          width=fit
>
> I think I'm misleaded by the (my) confusion between "margins" and
> "edges".

edges and top/bottom are sort of virtual ... they were originally meant
for navigational goodies that then would not interfere with margins and
headers/footers and could be turned on/off easilly; of course one can
also use them otherwise

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: page layout
@ 2010-04-06 20:05           ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-06 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 06 avril 2010 à 09:43, Willi Egger a écrit:
> Hi,
>
> \setuplayout
>   [backspace=1cm, % am I right to comment out this line? - No backspace
> defines where the textblock starts from the left
>    % leftedge=1cm,			%edge is reserved for screendocuments, where you can
> have margin and edge spaces

Ok. Thanks again.

@ 2010-04-06 19:44           ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-04-06 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

This might be an old version. I hope, that we can upload an newer
version shortly.

Kind regards

Willi

@ 2010-04-06 19:43         ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-04-06 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-06 19:27         ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-06 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 06 avril 2010 à 08:58, Willi Egger a écrit:
> Sorry for replying to my own mail.
>
> I was just a little to fast with my answer concerning the t-cropmarks. I
> realize that it is not in the list of the third-party modules on the wiki.

No problem, I saw a mail of yours on the archive and got the module
finally. Interesting...

Thanks for the tip.

--
Sébastien Mengin
Édition et logiciels libres
< Mise en page avec LaTeX >
http://edilibre.net

* Re: page layout
@ 2010-04-06 19:23       ` Sebastien Mengin
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-06 18:58       ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-04-06 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-06 18:52     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-04-06 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-06 14:37   ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-06 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-02 11:56 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-02 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.04.10 12:13, schrieb Sebastien Mengin:
> Hi,
>
> Say I want to typeset a 10 x 18 cm book and print proofs on a A4 paper.
> Margins :
> top = 1cm
> bottom = 1.5cm
> left&  right = 1cm
>
> I'd like crop marks to.

\definepapersize[book][width=10cm,height=18cm]

\setuppapersize[book][A4]

\setuplayout
   [backspace=1cm,
    width=middle,
    topspace=1cm,
    bottomspace=1.5cm,
    %header=...,
    %headerdistance=...,
    %footer=...,
    %footerdistance=...,
    height=middle,
    location=middle,
    marking=on]

Wolfgang

* page layout
@ 2010-04-02 10:13 Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-02 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

Say I want to typeset a 10 x 18 cm book and print proofs on a A4 paper.
Margins :
top = 1cm
bottom = 1.5cm
left & right = 1cm

I'd like crop marks to.

My attempts based on the docs fail.

Sorry, but this simple request is not easy to deduce directly from the
beginners doc -- although I translated the chapter about page layout
(sigh...)

Thanks in advance.
--

@ 1999-06-08  7:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-08  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:

> Conclusion: I need \CONTEXT-aware-spectacles so documentation gets
> into my brain more easily.
>
> Can that be integrated in the next-version?

I'm really thinking about a system you can talk to -)

Concerning such options: many commands use a version of \framed
low-level, so those options are often available. The setups are the
ultimate source. Some day I hope to finish the rest of their
descriptions.

On the other hand, experimenting a bit with tex programming does not
harm that much. Things like nice title pages always need a bit of
programming. NAy practice will help.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Page Layout
@ 1999-06-07 13:24 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-06-07 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>Well, then how about just saying:
>
>\setupbackgrounds
>  [text][leftedge][frame=on]

Never looked at the command, looks good. But let me state something useless:

\startsillystatement
Usually I seek for features in \CONTEXT\ and I don't find them.
After that, I program them my own,
which is usually pretty trivial in \CONTEXT.

After feeling very content about my hacking/solution finding, Hans
points out there was already support for it.
I just missed it in the docs/sources.

Conclusion: I need \CONTEXT-aware-spectacles so documentation gets
into my brain more easily.

Can that be integrated in the next-version?
\stopsillystatement

Gilbert.

* Re: Page Layout
@ 1999-06-03 23:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-03 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:

> On page 182 of Lamport's "Latex, A Document Preparation System," one can
> find a picture of the layout of a latex style, with all of the various
> parameters (topmargin, headheight, etc) clearly indicated in the figure.
>
> Is there such a thing available in Context?
>
> Yes, I am aware of \showframe, \showlayout, but these don't actually
> indicate on the picture what each parameter represents, though most are
> intuitive. Still, it would be helpful to have such a layout as that in
> Lamport's book.

There are some in the big manual. Also of 'logo spaces', 'text spaces',
and some more. Try

\starttext

\setuplayout[top=1cm,bottom=1cm,width=middle,height=middle]

\setupbackgrounds
  [top,header,text,footer,bottom]
  [text,leftmargin,rightmargin,leftedge,rightedge]
  [frame=on]

\setupbackgrounds
  [header]
  [leftmargin]