* Re: Bibtex and context?
@ 1999-06-14  7:53 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-06-14  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Hi,
>
>Does Context have a bibliography mechanism?  I don't recall reading
>anything about it in the doco.  More specifically, is there any way of
>getting my bibtex entries in?  I think this is the last requirement for
>my total replacement of latex with context (apart from more mathematics
>macros, which has already been discussed.)

Well, currently there is no support for bibtex. I don't pragma's position
in this, but I guess it makes sense to adapt texutil (or create some other
util),
to include bibtex support. There must be lots of people using bibtex, but I
do not know anyting about that.

>I've done a bit of bst file editing before.  I guess appropriate bst
>files
>are all that are needed to put bibtex-generated entries into context
>files.

You need the program bibtex I guess? I believe bibtex gets the bib-entries
from your
\jobname.bib looks the entries up in a bibtex database, and merges them with
a bibtex style file. It should be fairly easy to adapt texutil to do that.

Gilbert.

* Re: Bibtex and context?
@ 1999-06-14 11:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-14 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matthew Baker, ntg-context

Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:

> Well, currently there is no support for bibtex. I don't pragma's position
> in this, but I guess it makes sense to adapt texutil (or create some other
> util),
> to include bibtex support. There must be lots of people using bibtex, but I
> do not know anyting about that.

Bib things are in my opinion just a special case of sort lists --already
present in context-- this time with multiple keys. There is (not yet
distributed) something called sort sets:

\definesortset
  [somepublication]
  [author,title]
  [    type=article,
     author=,title=,
    journal=,volume=,number=,pages=,year=,
    edition=,
       note=,URL=]

This will go public as soon as Taco has sorted out all the bib related
things. From that moment other kinds of sorted sets are also possible -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Bibtex and context?
@ 1999-06-15  9:21     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-15  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> > It's syntax is not completely mature yet, but I'm sure you get the
> > idea. This does not need a .bst file, but something like
> >
> >          texutil --bib2tex
>
> It might be also nice, if a tex2bib would exist, especially when working
> together with LaTeX users.

Shouldn't be to hard, once I know the syntax.

> Looking forward to try this module and the math module.
> (I'm also looking forward to use a new version of texwork)

I'm currently using it (on windows that is, because my linux machine is
constantly segfaulting, spoiled all the disks, and installing suse 6.1
fails hopelessly due to some kind of unability to write to some null
thing). I'll send you an update later.

> PS: A while ago (so in February) I ask for the best possibility to include the
> output of Gnuplot, well they now support MetaPost in their recent betas :-)

Sounds good!

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Bibtex and context?
@ 1999-06-14 17:43   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-06-14 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Taco, Hi all Hoekwater wrote:

> It's syntax is not completely mature yet, but I'm sure you get the
> idea. This does not need a .bst file, but something like
>
>          texutil --bib2tex

It might be also nice, if a tex2bib would exist, especially when working
together with LaTeX users.

Looking forward to try this module and the math module.
(I'm also looking forward to use a new version of texwork)

Groeten, Grüße and Regards,

Tobias

--
"This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as the day the
night / Thou canst not then be false to anyone." -- Polonius to Laertis (Hamlet)

* Re: Bibtex and context?
@ 1999-06-14 10:37 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-06-14 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Matthew> Hi, Does Context have a bibliography mechanism?  I don't
    Matthew> recall reading anything about it in the doco.  More
    Matthew> specifically, is there any way of getting my bibtex
    Matthew> entries in?  I think this is the last requirement for my
    Matthew> total replacement of latex with context (apart from more
    Matthew> mathematics macros, which has already been discussed.)

We could do a quick hack that would allow you to use current bst
files, but those are not all that flexible. Instead, I've been working
on a module (soon to be released) that accepts input like this:

\startpublicationlist
\startpublication [key=bib1, % reference key
                authordata=Du Plessis \& Koen, % for apa
                yeardata=1992, % for apa
                type=article] % layout style selection
\arttitle{Leaf analysis norms for lemons [{\it Citrus limon} (L.) Burm.]}
% firstnames prefix lastname
\artauthor {S.F.}{}{Du Plessis}
\artauthor {T.J.}{von}{Koen}
% firstpage lastpage
\pages{551}{552}
% volume issue
\volissue{2}{}
\journal{Proc. Int. Soc. Citriculture}
\pubyear{1992}
\stoppublication

\stoppublicationlist

It's syntax is not completely mature yet, but I'm sure you get the
idea. This does not need a .bst file, but something like

	 texutil --bib2tex

Greetings,

Taco

--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --

* Re: Bibtex and context?
@ 1999-06-11 20:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-11 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Matthew,

> Does Context have a bibliography mechanism?  I don't recall reading
> anything about it in the doco.  More specifically, is there any way of
> getting my bibtex entries in?  I think this is the last requirement for
> my total replacement of latex with context (apart from more mathematics
> macros, which has already been discussed.)
>
> I've done a bit of bst file editing before.  I guess appropriate bst
> files
> are all that are needed to put bibtex-generated entries into context
> files.
> I could have a crack at this, if it hasn't been done already.  It's
> probably about time I put something back in ;P

Some time ago I defined a general mechanism for collection sof sorted
things, using existing mechanisms. I'll send you the test file (which
defines some macros you need)

It comes down to something:

% definition with two sort keys

\definesortset
  [somepublication]
  [author,title]
  [    type=article,
     author=,title=,
    journal=,volume=,number=,pages=,year=,
    edition=,
       note=,URL=]

% when called by author or title:

\definesortsetitem
  [publication][somepublication][author]
  [(\field{author})]

\definesortsetitem
  [publication][somepublication][title]
  [(\field{title}, by \field{author})]

% or by number as typeset in the list

\definesortsetreference
  [someone][somepublication][{[\fieldnum]}]
  [\FinalPublicationList]

% using a macro:

\def\FinalPublicationList%
  {[\fieldnum]\spatie
   \doif{\field{type}}{article}
     {\doifsomething{\field{author}}{\field{author},\spatie}%
      \doifsomething{\field {title}}{{\sl\field{title}}.\spatie}%
      \doifsomething{\field  {year}}{(\field{year}).\spatie}}
   \par}

% the list itself

\definesortsetlist
  [publicationsbyauthor][somepublication][author][criterium=alles]

% some definitions

\somepublication
  [hagenj-tt,thisthat]
  [author={Hagen, J},
    title={This or That}]

\somepublication
  [ottenaf-ss,suchso]
  [author={Otten, A.F.},
    title={Such and So}]

\somepublication
  [hagenj-ht,herethere]
  [author={Hagen, J},
    title={Here and There}]

\somepublication
  [ottenaf-tt,thickthin]
  [author={Otten, A.F.},
    title={Thick and Thin}]

% a sample

\starttekst

test \publication[author][ottenaf-tt]

test \publication[title][hagenj-tt]

test \someone[ottenaf-ss]

test \someone[hagenj-ht]

\publicationsbyauthor

\stoptekst

So, what we need is a few perl scripts converting existing bib things
into this scheme.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Bibtex and context?