* extended pretty printing
@ 1999-06-20 16:18 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ A typeset version is attached, demonstrating the features described,
an update will be uploaded to our www server ]

\usemodule[abr-01]
\setupbodyfont[pos,10pt]
\setupwhitespace[big]
\setupcolors[state=start]

\starttext

Hi Tobias and Berend,

I've tried to implement both your verbatim pretty printing
wishes. Actually, some hooks were already present, but not
yet used. I extended the pretty printer by 'typeset comment
in \TEX' feature, which is more general than just {\it
italics as Berend wanted}. I also provided settings for
setting the fonts of keywords. Instead of using font
parameters, I use command ones: given some constraints, one
can use whatever command, i.e. optionally grabbing one
argument.

As soon as I've implemented 'font palets' I will also provide
setting fonts in a way similar to colors (I know that Taco
wants this, e.g. for the maps, but for the moment his way of
setting them is ok.).

\startbuffer
\startTEX
\def\mathematics#1%         % usage: \type {\mathematics{x^2}}
  {\ifmmode#1\else$#1$\fi}  % becomes: \mathematics{x^2}
\stopTEX
\stopbuffer

You know this one:

\typebuffer

This gives:

\getbuffer

I'm not if you're aware of the present for long comment
escape. When \type {\newprettytrue} is set, e.g. in \type
{cont-sys.tex}, one can use \type {%%\ M} to switch to for
instance \METAPOST\ mode, or \type{%%\[+} to let \type {[}
be pretty printed as \type {+}. I implemented the latter to
support catcode changes, so this only makes sense in pretty
printing complex \TEX\ code. More examples can be found in
the \type {verb} files. I added the natural \TEX\ \type{N}
key:

\startbuffer
\startTEX
\def\mathematics#1%         %%\ N  usage: \type {\mathematics{x^2}}
  {\ifmmode#1\else$#1$\fi}  %%\ N  becomes: \mathematics{x^2}
\stopTEX
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer

or:

\getbuffer

Now back to \SQL:

\startbuffer
\startSQL
select *       -- indeed, here we {\em do} select
  from tableA
  where 1 = 2
\stopSQL
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer

By default one gets:

\getbuffer

A new mode, called natural text mode, will however turn your
comments into typeset \TEX. For \TEX\ typesetting this looks
like:

\startbuffer
\setuptyping
  [TEX]
  [text=yes]

\startTEX
\def\mathematics#1%         % usage: \type {\mathematics{x^2}}
  {\ifmmode#1\else$#1$\fi}  % becomes: \mathematics{x^2}
\stopTEX
\stopbuffer

\getbuffer

This is keyed in as follows; watch out, preceding \type{%}'s
are handled as normal!

\typebuffer

The \type {text} key enables natural \TEX\ mode, while the
command keys set the fonts or else. So, how about \SQL ?

\startbuffer
\setuptyping
  [SQL]
  [text=yes,palet=,icommand=\bf,vcommand=,ccommand=\it]

\startSQL
select *       -- indeed, here we {\em do} select
  from tableA
  where 1 = 2
\stopSQL

\setuptyping
  [SQL]
  [ccommand=\tf\underbar]

\startSQL
select *       -- indeed, here we {\em do} select
  from tableA
  where 1 = 2
\stopSQL
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer

Now watch:

\getbuffer

I suppose that the both of you can set up your local \type
{cont-sys} file to honor your personal preferences. By the
way, Berend, is \type {//} also a \SQL\ comment?

You need \eTeX\ or pdf\eTeX\ to use this features, but I
suppose you already use one of them. You need also need a
font patch, because some silly and obscure nesting bug
surfaced (only in non dutch versions).

\stoptext

I hope this suited your purposes,

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

[-- Attachment #2: tob-ber.pdf --]

* Re: extended pretty printing
@ 1999-06-21 12:47 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-06-21 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-CONTEXT

Hallo Hans, hi all,

Is there any possibility (but // //) to get '//' before the JAVA-// comments?
The /* */ can appear, but must not.

Tobias

PS: I'm going to get the new TeX code to test it now.