* Re: figuur masker is niet te vinden
@ 1999-06-21 15:58 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-06-21 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>>   texexec --pdf yourfile
>>
>> or include the line:
>>
>>   \setupoutput[pdftex]
>>

>Fine, both worked, thank you.
>But why did'nt I have to do that during the course?

Probably the first line of you .tex document contained something like this:

% interface=nl output=pdf

texexec scans your .tex file, looking for clues about what kind of file it
is (it auto-magically sees that the file uses English context if it contains
\startext instead of \starttekst). I noticed however that the auto
recognition doesn't always work, but I should first upgrade to the latest
texexec before sending complaints.

Not all options can be given in the first line. Lookup the texexec script
and check for yourself what it is doing.

Note: The problem with my texexec is that it can only do tex-files that are
there, meaning: I cannot compile a tex file which is not in the current
directory, but in $TEXINPUTS. I don't see this as a problem, I usually
create a symlink or so.

Gilbert.

* Re: figuur masker is niet te vinden
@ 1999-06-21 21:20 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-21 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wybo Dekker, ntg-context

Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:

> texexec scans your .tex file, looking for clues about what kind of file it
> is (it auto-magically sees that the file uses English context if it contains
> \startext instead of \starttekst). I noticed however that the auto
> recognition doesn't always work, but I should first upgrade to the latest
> texexec before sending complaints.

TeXexec scans or more! Because \starttext is both german and english,
texexec seaches for \setup... and \stel..in and some more. I will update
this mechanism soon. I also will add some more features yet
experimental, clean up some code etc. Finally I will also provide a menu
based shell.  (But that is probably when I post texform, a way of
dealing with tex without seeing tex at all, trivial simple, for in use
for quite some years now.)

> Note: The problem with my texexec is that it can only do tex-files that are
> there, meaning: I cannot compile a tex file which is not in the current
> directory, but in $TEXINPUTS. I don't see this as a problem, I usually
> create a symlink or so.

This is also context related. Depending on the files type (source,
environment, graphic) context searches in $TEXINPUTS, at the local path
(.), for environments on a few lower paths, etc. This not only speeds up
searching (loading), but also prevents conflicts, think of managing many
projects with similar filenames.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: figuur masker is niet te vinden
@ 1999-06-21 15:53     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-21 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> Fine, both worked, thank you.
> But why did'nt I have to do that during the course?

Hm. Sounds strange to me. By default pdftex is configured to produce pdf
code, so when you don't load the drivers (either drectly or by means of
--pdf which simply puts an entry in a run time loaded file), you will
get pdf code but lots of warnings concerning \special (by default dvips
specials are included).  For this reason, context always disables pdf
output first, and only after loading the driver produces pdf.

We'll probably never know what happened,

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: figuur masker is niet te vinden
@ 1999-06-21  9:57   ` Wybo Dekker
From: Wybo Dekker @ 1999-06-21  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

--
Hartelijke groet, Wybo
--

* Re: figuur masker is niet te vinden
@ 1999-06-20 17:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-20 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> I could view it with acroread but nevertheless, cont-nl said:
>
> figuren        : figuur masker is niet te vinden

Figure inclusion depends on the drivers used. PDF inclusion only works
in pdf mode, so either run

  texexec --pdf yourfile

or include the line:

  \setupoutput[pdftex]

in your file. When there would have been an eps one, you would probably
have seen a message that that one was included. (By default, context
tries to include th eoutline version first, bitmaps then. So you can
have all kind of instances of the same graphic on your machine).

As a last resort, you can set \traceexternalfigurestrue. That way you
get a lot of info on where/what context is doing.

> For some reason, every ps-to-pdf converter I have generates a binary
> output file - is that normal?

Currnetly the best converter is acrobat distiller. GS does a good job
too, but files with fonts gives troubles.

The first binary piece of code is just a signal that the file can
contain binary data, some OS's and www sending like to know this.

Structural data in non binary, graphics often are, and text streams can
optionally be compressed. When in context you say:

\setupoutput[pdftex] \pdfcompresslevel=0

you can see how uncompressed pdf looks like.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: figuur masker is niet te vinden
@ 1999-06-20 10:45 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-06-20 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hallo Wybo,

> figuren        : figuur masker is niet te vinden
>
> Here is the start of my masker.pdf - is something wrong with it?
It looks ok, but I don't think that this is the problem.
The file cannot be found. Can you post the relevant TeX source?

Tobias

* figuur masker is niet te vinden
@ 1999-06-19 20:41 Wybo Dekker
From: Wybo Dekker @ 1999-06-19 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

After having installed TeXLive 4 I successfully ran the excercise that
I made during the course.
After that I erroneously removed the masker.pdf that came with the
excercise, but I thought: no problem, let's make another pdf from a
ps-file I had around. I did that with pstopdf, naming the result:
masker.pdf.
I could view it with acroread but nevertheless, cont-nl said:

figuren        : figuur masker is niet te vinden

Here is the start of my masker.pdf - is something wrong with it?
For some reason, every ps-to-pdf converter I have generates a binary
output file - is that normal?
Could someone send me the original masker.pdf please?

%PDF-1.2
%Ç쏢
4 0 obj
<</Length 5 0 R/Filter /FlateDecode>>