* Splitting documents
@ 1999-06-22  8:40 Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-06-22  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Someone asked me this yesterday after I 90% convinced him that Context/PDF
is better for presentations than HTML.

Is it possible to split documents into several parts AND keep links
working?  I guess that using texexec's --pages option will break links.
The idea is to put one page per file of 5 pages per file or something so
that users don't have to download 10Mb when viewing something online.

- Matthew

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* Re: Splitting documents
@ 1999-06-22 10:48 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-22 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Matthew Baker wrote:

> Is it possible to split documents into several parts AND keep links
> working?  I guess that using texexec's --pages option will break links.
> The idea is to put one page per file of 5 pages per file or something so
> that users don't have to download 10Mb when viewing something online.

When you optimize a file first (using acrobat exchange) only the
relevant part of the file is fetched, so there you will not gain so
much, especially because when skipping to another subdoc all fonts
(probably another subset) will be downloaded.

One way of speeding up as well as bringing down file size is saying:

 \setupinteraction [page=yes]

because from that moment no named destinations will be used but page
ones (which is btw one reason why context can produce pdf with huge
amounts of links without stressing the viewer).

Splitting up is kind of tricky, because all refs automatically must
become file based ones and page refs should be recalculated. Given the
way context is set up, I only have to adapt a few macros to handle this
and for convenience texexec would indeed handle the splitting (something
like: split this up in 10 page documents). Again, not that difficult,
because the ingredients are there already.

I'll think it over -)

Another approach is to split up a document in logical entyties from the
start, using cross document references,

\useexternaldocument[explanation][doc-21]

... \in{figure}[explanation::reference] ...

etc etc. Cross document referencing *is* already part of context,
including cross document reference checking.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE