* beta demo file
@ 1999-07-05 13:34 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-07-05 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I posted a demo file at our site (context->context->beta) named
johan.pdf. This file plays a little with a scan of a drawing my little
nephew made me (it's an instruction on how to build a plane). It's an
unfinished document, but it demonstrated some features that will be
present in the next versions of context:

(1) shading: using metapost, context can include native pdf shades and
blends (and some day patterns) as fills; currently Matthew and I are
working out a decent model of defining them; PS support will come later;
this feature will be available later this year; im the demo, the blue
and brown are shaded (a bit rough now, but will be better later).

(2) alternate images: pdf supports low res screen/high res printing
graphics; this feature is available in the next context/pdftex release;
for some obscure reason, pdf can only handle bitmaps as alternates,
while, as matthew remarked recently, it sometimes makes sense to inlude
a bitmap for viewing and vector for printing (because acrobat viewers do
not anti alias graphics); in the demo one sees graphics at 25% of the
resolution as the ones used for printing; Tobias will make sure this
feature works in GS too.

(3) backgrounds: well known to some already, mp can be used to define
fancy backgrounds; a next release will provide an interface to MP that
gives access to all layout areas, including the ones between the 25
areas currently supported; in the demo, one can see how multiple areas
are treated as one.

(4) clipping: one can pinpoint pieces of graphics by applying clipping;
all graphics shown are actually clips, so there are only two graphics
embedded: the low res and teh high res; at the last page one can see
that arbitrary clipping paths are supported; indeed, one can use MP to
provide such an path; later taco will have to sort out the PS way of
doing things.

This file is generated with pdftex version 14. Because some low level
changes are rather fundamental, I strongly suggest to update pdftex as
well as context in tandem. I will upload a new version when Thanh is
updating pdftex. Beware, the new pdftex will not work with the old
context, but within limits the new context will work with old pdftex's.
I will announce the moment for updating both here.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: beta demo file
@ 1999-07-05 19:42 ` Wybo Dekker
From: Wybo Dekker @ 1999-07-05 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> I posted a demo file at our site (context->context->beta) named
> johan.pdf. This file plays a little with a scan of a drawing my little

What is the exact address? I tried to find it via the NTG home (said
to be the preferred route) page but didn't succeed.

Searching Context via that page should be more straightforward anyway
- there should be a link at the first page.
--
Hartelijke groet, Wybo
--

* Re: beta demo file
@ 1999-07-06  9:53   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-07-06  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> > I posted a demo file at our site (context->context->beta) named
> > johan.pdf. This file plays a little with a scan of a drawing my little
>
> What is the exact address? I tried to find it via the NTG home (said
> to be the preferred route) page but didn't succeed.

I uploaded them yesterday. This means that they are mirrored on eriks
server within a day, and from there on ctan in another day. Mirroring on
the NTG server is still sub optimal, but should work too (mirrored from
Erik, who has FTP). There is a pointer as well as a search option from
the 4tex site. Thomas Esser (tetex) also automatically updates the files
needed for tetex, so tetex is always up to date.

> Searching Context via that page should be more straightforward anyway
> - there should be a link at the first page.

Maybe Erik can take care of that. He's currently redoing the NTG pages.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: beta demo file
@ 1999-07-06  9:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-07-06  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> > I posted a demo file at our site (context->context->beta) named
> > johan.pdf. This file plays a little with a scan of a drawing my little
>
> What is the exact address? I tried to find it via the NTG home (said
> to be the preferred route) page but didn't succeed.

www.pragma-ade.nl -> context support -> context info -> beta page

id est:

www.pragma-ade.nl/beta.htm

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: beta demo file
@ 1999-07-06 11:33 Erik Frambach
From: Erik Frambach @ 1999-07-06 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > I posted a demo file at our site (context->context->beta) named
> > > johan.pdf. This file plays a little with a scan of a drawing my little
> >
> > What is the exact address? I tried to find it via the NTG home (said
> > to be the preferred route) page but didn't succeed.

You can find it on my mirror:
http://4tex.ntg.nl/context/itdemos/internal/johan/johan.pdf

> I uploaded them yesterday. This means that they are mirrored on eriks
> server within a day, and from there on ctan in another day. Mirroring on
> the NTG server is still sub optimal, but should work too (mirrored from

Currently the NTG site doesn't mirror ConTeXt. We are working on a solution.

> Erik, who has FTP). There is a pointer as well as a search option from
> the 4tex site. Thomas Esser (tetex) also automatically updates the files
> needed for tetex, so tetex is always up to date.

You can search from http://4tex.ntg.nl/cgi-bin/search.pl
Searching for 'johan' in the ConTeXt mirror pages would get you to
beta.htm, which points to johan.pdf.

> > Searching Context via that page should be more straightforward anyway
> > - there should be a link at the first page.
>
> Maybe Erik can take care of that. He's currently redoing the NTG pages.

I don't agree that there should be a link on the first page. Let's be reasonable.
It's the NTG site. It generously mirrors the ConTeXt pages and this mirror
is listed in links.html. NTG is promoting itself and will not advertise anything
else on its home page. I know it would be convenient but eventually the
home page would become a mess.

Erik