* inmargin in doublesided documents
@ 1999-07-19  9:32 Janne Riihijarvi
From: Janne Riihijarvi @ 1999-07-19  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to create a doublesided document format that has wide outer
margins for margin notes. The following simple approach seems to fail, but
I would like to understand why.

\setuplayout[rightmargin=4cm,leftmargin=1cm,width=fit]

\starttext
\showframe

\inmargin{This is an example sentence}
\page[yes]
\inmargin{This is an example sentence}

\stoptext

At least on my system the first margin note comes out allright, but the
second one (on the following page) seems to be still using the narrower
margin width in linebreaking and positioning. Is there some other
configuration option that needs to be set for doublesided typesetting?

By the way, is there a ConTeXt FAQ available?

Janne Riihijärvi

* Re: inmargin in doublesided documents
@ 1999-07-19 10:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-07-19 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Janne Riihijarvi wrote:

> I'm trying to create a doublesided document format that has wide outer
> margins for margin notes. The following simple approach seems to fail, but
> I would like to understand why.
>
> \setuplayout[rightmargin=4cm,leftmargin=1cm,width=fit]
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \starttext
> \showframe
>
> \inmargin{This is an example sentence}
> \page[yes]
> \inmargin{This is an example sentence}
>
> \stoptext
>
> At least on my system the first margin note comes out allright, but the
> second one (on the following page) seems to be still using the narrower
> margin width in linebreaking and positioning. Is there some other
> configuration option that needs to be set for doublesided typesetting?

Your problem is an add up.

(1) \inmargin is anchored to some text, so to really test it you must
say something

\inmargin {marginal text} some text

(2) The margin dimensions only play a role in wrapping. When typesetting
doublesided, you can stick to setting margin=4cm (because margins are
mirrored anyway). The binding edge is set by backspace, so you get:

\setuplayout[backspace=4cm,margin=3cm,width=middle]

(3) Marginal text placement is optimized in a second pass, so make sure
texutil is run (happens automatically when texexec is used). This is
even more important when aligment also depends on the left/right handed
page. Normally the default settings are used.

(4) When using marginal texts as titles, use \margintext instead of
\inmargin, because it makes sure multi line texts is move to the next
page. That command also is able to handle stacked marginal notes. (One
can anchor marginal notes in several ways and access/position them by
tag).

> By the way, is there a ConTeXt FAQ available?

No(t yet).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE