From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Context diff
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:20:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> core-fig:
> - Adds MP path clipping support

Some day taco will have to cook up a working ps-driver alternative.
Clipping currently only works in PDF, but my (DVI)PS knowledge is
inadequate to fill in the PS gap.

> cont-new:
> - new default for \verbatimgoodbreak

Experimental. Please report problems.

> - changed \complexdokop (vertical spacing fixes)

No, it fixes an unwanted brak after a sectioning command.

> - read supp-mpd.tex

Ah yes, the experimental shading stuff.

> - new macro: \convertexpanded (twice!!)

The second one. This is not so much new as well more robust. Needed for
SGML processing.

> - copy of \doloadregisterlinks (not changed !!)

Hm.

> - new \start\stop: \startgeheel (??)

Yes, undocumented yet. For those who consider \vbox\bgroup \egroup ugly.

> - support for recycling MPgraph files
>   (\allocateMPslot, \deallocateMPslot).

Right, btw, reuse of MP was already supported, but is a bit more
efficient now. This allocation trick only works when in cont-sys.tex:

  \recycleMPslotstrue

is set.

> - yet another \convertexpanded (!!)

The old one.

> - adds 'perpage' numbering option to footnotes

Dedicated to Han The Thanh.

> - changes to \dosetlocalsectieblok
>   (adds a counter and some syntax changes ??)

No, I used to use the first character of a sectionblock identifier to
distinguish among them. In english this resulted in (b)obymatter and
(b)ackmatter, which is buggy, so I now use a counter instead.

> - adds unknown default to \dosetparfloat

otherwise floattexts could disappear (especially with defaults as used
in the maps style)

> - new \setuplegend and \placelegend commands
>   that extend and replace the old \startlegenda\stoplegenda

extends.

> - various changes to profile support code

and more changes to come.

> - some optimizations to \starttable (??)

Probably -) There also were some fixes due to better par breaking in
tables and so.

> font-ini:
> - changes to hyphenchar assignments
>   (optimization ??)

Ha, better, it now works. When reinplementing this feature I had
forgotten the class prefix (something \??xx that identifies the
parameter classes) so it didn't even work. Roef Ragas needed \tt with
line breaks so there it surfaced.

> - new macros: \dostartclipping, \dostopclipping
>   (not OK ?? -> what's wrong ??)

I cannot test it because I haven't dvips installed. It's up to you to
fix it. It has something do  with (g)save and (g)restore and the famous
fuzzy specials; it needs to be inserted pretty raw (no save restore) but
work in the local coordinate space).

> supp-mps:
> - mpgraph reuse support:
>   \allocateMPslot
>   \deallocateMPslot

Reuse of files actually, in pdftex only mpgraph.1 is uded, this saves
many temporary MP files.

> syst-gen:
> - \dosetunexpanded &co: new command: \honorexpanded,
>   which is a bit of magic.

Haha, not to you I suppose.

Thanks again,

Hans