From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Long compile time
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:40:23 +0200	[thread overview]

David Arnold wrote:

> For me, the most frustrating thing about ConTeXt seems to be the long time
> it takes to compile. I've read the texexex.pdf file and there are some nice
> hints in there to reduce the compile time. I still have two questions.

That's the sacrifice for a parameter driven package.

> 1. Can I reduce to a minimum the compile time by entering a comment in the
> first line of my file, something akin to
>
> %output=pdf
>
> that I use frequently? If this can be done, what is an optimal comment line
> for limiting the compile time?

Sometimes texexec --fast runs a bit faster. To prevent multiple runs,
say

  texexex --once .....

> 2. Suppose I have a master document with
>
> \input chap1
> \input chap2
> \input chap3
>
> etc. Suppose I am working in chap3.tex and I only want to compile chap3. Of
> course, I can comment out
>
> %\input chap1
> %\input chap2
>
> but then I lose the correct numbering of pages, chapters, etc. Is there a
> better procedure?

A rather old feature of context is project support (pre texexec time,
when we were making collections of educational materials):

(project file: course.tex)

\startproject course

  \environment commonsetups

  \product     book
  \product     exercises
  \product     answers
  \product     examn

\stopproject

(environment file: commonsetups.tex)

\startenvironment commonsetups

  all kind of (layout) setups

\stopenvironment

(product file: book.tex)

\startproduct book

  \project     course

  \environment booksetups

  \component   chap-1
  \component   chap-2

\stopproduct

(component file: chap-1.tex)

\startcomponent chap-1

  \project course
  \product book

  ... chapter 1 ...

\stopcomponent

etc etc

Now you can say:

texexec book
texexec chap-1
texexec chap-2

etc

It is possible to set up context in such a way that the book refs etc
migrate to the individual chapters, but this only makes sense in special
cases.

Maybe this relieves the pain of speed.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE