From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: newbie problems trying to build cont-en with texexec
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 09:41:47 +0200	[thread overview]

[cc to Thomas Esser: Thomas, can you check if the etex path is in the
context input paths? And, is the current redhat distribution fully
original tetex, or do they still change bits and pieces?)

Thomas Porter wrote:

> I had tried running texexec --pdf present based on a simple context example I
> saw on the pdftex mailing list.  I am running RedHat 5.2 with TeTeX 1.0-1 which
> I rebuilt from the source RPM.
>
> I got errors saying that cont-en.efmt did not exist, so I looked at the
> readme.pdf and found that I might have to compile this using 'texexec --make
> en' after fmtutil --edit to enable context for cont-en, which is disabled in
> the teTeX RPM I got.
>
> When I try 'texexec --make en' I get errors like this:
>
> --------------------------------
> line 171: inserting E-TEX code etex.src etexdefs.lib
> ! I can't find file `etex.src'.
> l.183   \normalinput     etex.src
>                                   \relax
> Please type another input file name:
> ! Emergency stop.
> l.183   \normalinput     etex.src
>                                   \relax
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on cont-en.log.
> fmtutil: `pdfetex -ini -efmt=cont-en -progname=context *cont-en.ini' failed.
>
>             executable : pdfetex
>              format(s) : en

> --------------------------------
>
> etex.src and etesdefs.lib exist on my system under my /usr/share/texmf tree and
> I ran texhash just in case, but no help.

This is strange but has nothing to do with context. One possible reason
is that in texmf.cnf, in the context input path, the etex path is not
included. (This has been reported before.)

If this fails, you can try to run 'normal pdftex':

  texexec --tex=pdftex --make en

(in texexec.ini you can also change the pdfetex into pdftex)

> I am very much a pdftex newbie, let alone new to Context, but any help would be
> appreciated.

Well, if you can generate formats and understand these problems, you are
already near to a guru in the tex world.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE