* newbie problems trying to build cont-en with texexec
@ 1999-09-01 21:38 Thomas Porter
From: Thomas Porter @ 1999-09-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had tried running texexec --pdf present based on a simple context example I
saw on the pdftex mailing list.  I am running RedHat 5.2 with TeTeX 1.0-1 which
I rebuilt from the source RPM.

I got errors saying that cont-en.efmt did not exist, so I looked at the
readme.pdf and found that I might have to compile this using 'texexec --make
en' after fmtutil --edit to enable context for cont-en, which is disabled in
the teTeX RPM I got.

When I try 'texexec --make en' I get errors like this:

--------------------------------
line 171: inserting E-TEX code etex.src etexdefs.lib
! I can't find file `etex.src'.
l.183   \normalinput     etex.src
                                  \relax
Please type another input file name:
! Emergency stop.
l.183   \normalinput     etex.src
                                  \relax
No pages of output.
Transcript written on cont-en.log.
fmtutil: `pdfetex -ini -efmt=cont-en -progname=context *cont-en.ini' failed.

            executable : pdfetex
             format(s) : en

--------------------------------

etex.src and etesdefs.lib exist on my system under my /usr/share/texmf tree and
I ran texhash just in case, but no help.

I am very much a pdftex newbie, let alone new to Context, but any help would be
appreciated.

--
Tom Porter                                       txporter@mindspring.com
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],

* Re: newbie problems trying to build cont-en with texexec
@ 1999-09-02  7:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-02  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

[cc to Thomas Esser: Thomas, can you check if the etex path is in the
context input paths? And, is the current redhat distribution fully
original tetex, or do they still change bits and pieces?)

Thomas Porter wrote:

> I had tried running texexec --pdf present based on a simple context example I
> saw on the pdftex mailing list.  I am running RedHat 5.2 with TeTeX 1.0-1 which
> I rebuilt from the source RPM.
>
> I got errors saying that cont-en.efmt did not exist, so I looked at the
> readme.pdf and found that I might have to compile this using 'texexec --make
> en' after fmtutil --edit to enable context for cont-en, which is disabled in
> the teTeX RPM I got.
>
> When I try 'texexec --make en' I get errors like this:
>
> --------------------------------
> line 171: inserting E-TEX code etex.src etexdefs.lib
> ! I can't find file `etex.src'.
> l.183   \normalinput     etex.src
>                                   \relax
> Please type another input file name:
> ! Emergency stop.
> l.183   \normalinput     etex.src
>                                   \relax
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on cont-en.log.
> fmtutil: `pdfetex -ini -efmt=cont-en -progname=context *cont-en.ini' failed.
>
>             executable : pdfetex
>              format(s) : en

> --------------------------------
>
> etex.src and etesdefs.lib exist on my system under my /usr/share/texmf tree and
> I ran texhash just in case, but no help.

This is strange but has nothing to do with context. One possible reason
is that in texmf.cnf, in the context input path, the etex path is not
included. (This has been reported before.)

If this fails, you can try to run 'normal pdftex':

  texexec --tex=pdftex --make en

(in texexec.ini you can also change the pdfetex into pdftex)

> I am very much a pdftex newbie, let alone new to Context, but any help would be
> appreciated.

Well, if you can generate formats and understand these problems, you are
already near to a guru in the tex world.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: newbie problems trying to build cont-en with texexec
@ 1999-09-02  9:43   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-09-02  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: txporter, ntg-context

Hi,

> > When I try 'texexec --make en' I get errors like this:
I used teTeX 1.0.6 (with ConTeXt) and copied then the context files to the texmf
tree (including the move of the three perl scripts to the teTeX-bin directory).

I didn't use texexec --make but:
  fmtutil --edit
remove the '#' before  cont-en etc.
  fmtutil --missing
or altenativly:
  fmtutil --byfmt cont-en  (and the other cont-* if needed)
Maybe:
  texlinks

Tobias

PS: Hopefully Thomas Esser will soon release an updated teTeX, which includes a
new LaTeX and ConTeXt (see discussion at tetex mailing lists), this will
(unfortunally) probably not include an updated pdf(e)tex.

* Re: newbie problems trying to build cont-en with texexec
@ 1999-09-02 15:48   ` Thomas Porter
From: Thomas Porter @ 1999-09-02 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 09:41:47AM +0200, Hans Hagen thoughtfully expounded:

> This is strange but has nothing to do with context. One possible reason
> is that in texmf.cnf, in the context input path, the etex path is not
> included. (This has been reported before.)

Thanks, this worked fine (I think!)  See my later comments on lots of
'skipping' messages.

> > I am very much a pdftex newbie, let alone new to Context, but any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Well, if you can generate formats and understand these problems, you are
> already near to a guru in the tex world.

Thank you for the compliment (blush) but far from it.

Now that I got the efmt built I tried to run my sample comtext doc again and ran into problems:

document is:
---------

\starttext

\useenvironment[green] % the so called 'green' presentation

\Topics{How about this}

\Topic{Number One}

\startitemize
\item Help
\item This
\item Is
\item Complicated
\stopitemize

\Topic{Number Two}

Or maybe not that complicated at all.

\stoptext
---------

when I run this with 'texexec --pdf present' I get:
-----------------------------

 TeXExec 1.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-1999

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : present
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)
entering extended mode
(present.tex[/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg]

ConTeXt ver: 1999.5.11 fmt: 1999.9.1 int: english mes: english

system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : BEWARE: SOMETHING NEW INSERTED!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : cont-opt loaded
(cont-opt.tex
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki is reset
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex <unprotect 2>
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect 4>
<protect 4> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf loaded
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
) (./present.tuo) (./present.tuo) (./present.tuo) (./present.tuo)
(./present.tuo) (./present.tuo) (./present.tuo) (./present.tuo) (./present.tuo)
systems        : begin file present at line 1
! Undefined control sequence.
l.3 \useenvironment
                   [green] % the so called 'green' presentation
?

-----------------------------
so it looks as if it does not understand the \useenvironment command.

This may be because I am using context that shipped with teTeX 1.0.1 rpm.  I
tried downloading the newest cont-tmf.zip and loading that over the existing
context portion of /usr/share/texmf/context, but that broke because it was
expecting a newer version of pdftex, which I have not figured out how to update
within my current teTeX install without breaking it!  Reloaded my tetex RPM's
and got started again!

I _did_ notice a lot of 'skipping' messages when I built my cont-en.efmt, but
did not know if these were normal or not.  I have attached a log of the efmt
creation to this mail.

I included all the output from my test so people could see the versions of
pdftex and context I am using.

--
Tom Porter                                       txporter@mindspring.com
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?'  I am not able rightly to apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

[-- Attachment #2: texec-en.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 20385 bytes --]

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1) (INITEX)
entering extended mode
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/config/cont-en.ini
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/context.tex
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-tex.tex
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex Preloading the plain format: codes,
registers, parameters, fonts,
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
more fonts,
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping scaled \font in plain
skipping scaled \font in plain
skipping scaled \font in plain
skipping \font in plain
skipping \skewchar in plain
skipping \skewchar in plain
skipping \skewchar in plain
skipping \skewchar in plain
skipping \skewchar in plain
skipping \skewchar in plain
skipping \textfont in plain
skipping \scriptfont in plain
skipping \scriptscriptfont in plain
skipping \textfont in plain
skipping \scriptfont in plain
skipping \scriptscriptfont in plain
skipping \textfont in plain
skipping \scriptfont in plain
skipping \scriptscriptfont in plain
skipping \textfont in plain
skipping \scriptfont in plain
skipping \scriptscriptfont in plain
skipping \textfont in plain
skipping \textfont in plain
skipping \textfont in plain
skipping \scriptfont in plain
skipping \scriptscriptfont in plain
skipping \textfont in plain
macros, math definitions,
skipping used \tenex in plain
output routines, hyphenation
skipping \input in plain
skipping \tenrm in plain
)
line 171: inserting E-TEX code etex.src etexdefs.lib
(/usr/share/texmf/etex/plain/base/etex.src
skipping \input in plain
skipping \input in plain
skipping \input in plain
Augmenting the Plain TeX definitions: \tracingall;
Adding new e-TeX definitions: \eTeX, \loggingall, \tracingnone,
register allocation; extended register allocation;
Recycling: \addlanguage, \@nswer (not defined), \@sk, \b@dresponsetrue,
\b@dresponsefalse, \ch@ckforyn, \mayber@cycle, \et@xabort, \et@xbuf,
\et@xfmtsrc, \et@xfilehdr, \et@xinf, \et@xpatterns, \l@ngdefnfile, \n@xt,
\p@rse (not defined), \pr@mpt (not defined), \pr@mptloop (not defined),
\forcer@cycle, \usef@llback, \usef@llbacktrue, \usef@llbackfalse,
Retaining: \et@xerr, \et@xinput, \et@xlibhdr, \et@xmsg, \et@xtoks, \et@xwarn,
\et@xl@@d, \et@xl@ad, \et@xload, \et@xlang, \et@xhash, \eTeX, \etexhdrchk,
\etexstatus, \module, \uselanguage, \r@tain, \r@cycle,)
(/usr/share/texmf/etex/plain/base/etexdefs.lib))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-gen.tex
line 491: inserting E-TEX code \detokenize
line 538: inserting E-TEX code \protected
line 700: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
line 744: inserting E-TEX code
line 811: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
line 904: inserting E-TEX code \protected
line 1089: inserting E-TEX code \protected
line 1220: inserting E-TEX code \protected
line 1583: inserting E-TEX code \protected
line 2907: inserting E-TEX code \protected
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-ext.tex
line 746: inserting E-TEX code \detokenize
line 868: inserting E-TEX code \detokenize
line 2673: inserting E-TEX code
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-new.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mult-ini.tex
line 556: inserting E-TEX code \protected
line 1264: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mult-sys.tex
interface      : defining english interface

interface      : using english messages

) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mult-con.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mult-com.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/thrd-ran.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-ini.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-fil.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-box.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mrk.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-vis.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-fun.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-eps.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-spe.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mps.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-tpi.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mat.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-ran.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/verb-ini.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-var.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-fil.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/thrd-tab.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-lan.tex
line 311: inserting E-TEX code \detokenize
line 751: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-num.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/enco-ini.tex
encoding       : coding ans is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/enco-ans.tex
encoding       : coding texnansi
)
encoding       : coding il2 is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/enco-il2.tex
encoding       : coding il2
)
encoding       : coding pdf is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/enco-pdf.tex
encoding       : coding pdfdoc
)) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-ini.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/colo-ini.tex
color          : rgb color space is supported
color          : cmyk color space is supported
color          : system rgb is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/colo-rgb.tex
color          : (invalid) specification [r=0, g=0, b=0] at color black becomes
 black
color          : palette alfa is available
color          : palette beta is available
color          : palette gamma is available
color          : palette delta is available
color          : palette epsilon is available
color          : palette zeta is available
)) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-mis.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-ini.tex
specials       : loading definition file dvi
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-dvi.tex <unprotect 2> <unprotect 3>
<protect 3> <protect 2>)
specials       : tex loaded
specials       : loading definition file ps
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-ps.tex <unprotect 2> <protect 2>)
specials       : tex,postscript loaded
specials       : loading definition file tr
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tr.tex <unprotect 2> <protect 2>)
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-lab.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-alt.tex
language       : patterns for tr not loaded
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-ana.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-art.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-bal.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-cel.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-ger.tex
language       : patterns for nl not loaded
language       : patterns for en not loaded
language       : patterns for de not loaded
language       : patterns for da not loaded
language       : patterns for sv not loaded
language       : patterns for af not loaded
language       : patterns for no not loaded
language       : patterns for nlx not loaded
language       : patterns for deo not loaded
language       : patterns for uk not loaded
language       : patterns for us not loaded
language       : language specific options [de] seamless appended
language       : language specific options [de] seamless appended
language       : language specific options [de] seamless appended
encoding       : coding pdfdoc
language       : language specific options [de] seamless appended
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-grk.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-hnl.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-ind.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-ita.tex
language       : patterns for fr not loaded
language       : patterns for sp not loaded
language       : patterns for it not loaded
language       : patterns for pt not loaded
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-sla.tex
language       : patterns for pl not loaded
language       : patterns for cz not loaded
language       : patterns for sk not loaded
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/lang-ura.tex
language       : patterns for fi not loaded
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/symb-ini.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-gen.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-mak.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-mat.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-grd.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-ver.tex
color          : palette colorpretty is available
color          : palette graypretty is available
color          : palette TEXcolorpretty is available
color          : palette TEXgraypretty is available
color          : palette PLcolorpretty is available
color          : palette PLgraypretty is available
color          : palette PMcolorpretty is available
color          : palette PMgraypretty is available
color          : palette MPcolorpretty is available
color          : palette MPgraypretty is available
color          : palette JVcolorpretty is available
color          : palette JVgraypretty is available
color          : palette JScolorpretty is available
color          : palette JSgraypretty is available
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-vis.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-con.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-rul.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-new.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-tab.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-nav.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-ref.tex
line 849: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
line 1090: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-obj.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-01a.tex
system         : mark part defined [part]
system         : mark partnumber defined [partnumber]
system         : mark chapter defined [chapter]
system         : mark chapternumber defined [chapternumber]
system         : mark section defined [section]
system         : mark sectionnumber defined [sectionnumber]
system         : mark subsection defined [subsection]
system         : mark subsectionnumber defined [subsectionnumber]
system         : mark subsubsection defined [subsubsection]
system         : mark subsubsectionnumber defined [subsubsectionnumber]
system         : mark subsubsubsection defined [subsubsubsection]
system         : mark subsubsubsectionnumber defined [subsubsubsectionnumber]
system         : mark subsubsubsubsection defined [subsubsubsubsection]
system         : mark subsubsubsubsectionnumber defined [subsubsubsubsectionnum
ber]
system         : mark title defined [title]
system         : mark titlenumber defined [titlenumber]
system         : mark subject defined [subject]
system         : mark subjectnumber defined [subjectnumber]
system         : mark subsubject defined [subsubject]
system         : mark subsubjectnumber defined [subsubjectnumber]
system         : mark subsubsubject defined [subsubsubject]
system         : mark subsubsubjectnumber defined [subsubsubjectnumber]
system         : mark subsubsubsubject defined [subsubsubsubject]
system         : mark subsubsubsubjectnumber defined [subsubsubsubjectnumber]
system         : mark subsubsubsubsubject defined [subsubsubsubsubject]
system         : mark subsubsubsubsubjectnumber defined [subsubsubsubsubjectnum
ber]
layout         : marginblocks active
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-mul.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-pag.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-tbl.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-mis.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/java-ini.tex
line 565: inserting E-TEX code \aftergroup
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-fld.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/font-ini.tex
line 857: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
line 917: inserting E-TEX code
line 1648: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
line 1725: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
line 1811: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
line 1869: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
line 1915: inserting E-TEX code \ifcsname
bodyfont       : style rm (rm definedromanserifregular)
bodyfont       : style ss (ss definedsansserifsanssupport)
bodyfont       : style tt (tt definedteletypetypemono)
bodyfont       : style hw (hw definedhandwritten)
bodyfont       : style cg (cg definedcalligraphic)
bodyfont       : variant unk is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/font-unk.tex)
bodyfont       : variant fil is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/font-fil.tex))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-fnt.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-not.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-01b.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-01c.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-fig.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-01d.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-01e.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-02a.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/core-02d.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/docs-ini.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/list-ini.tex
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-log.tex
)
This package is based on Plain TeX. It uses an adapted version of the
extended mark mechanism of J. Fox (1987) and a few parts of the sidefloat
mechanism of D. Comenetz (1993). Most of D.E. Knuth's Plain TeX
(3.1415926) is available and can be used without problems. This package
uses TaBlE, a package designed and copyrighted by M.J. Wichura (1988).
Only a few auxiliary files are generated, of which some must be processed
by TeXUtil (1998.12.20). The current blockversion is 1996.03.10.

Copyright 1990-1999 / PRAGMA ADE / J. Hagen - A.F. Otten

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/config/cont-usr.tex))
language       : patterns en for en loaded (n=0)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/ushyph1.tex)
language       : no hyphenations en for en (n=0)
language       : patterns uk for uk loaded (n=1)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/ukhyphen.tex)
language       : no hyphenations uk for uk (n=1)
language       : patterns de for de loaded (n=2)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/dehyphn.tex
German New Hyphenation Patterns `dehyphn' Rev.28 <1999-03-08> (WaS)
(Formerly known under the name `gnhyph01'.))
language       : no hyphenations de for de (n=2)
language       : patterns fr for fr loaded (n=3)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/fr19998t.tex
fr19998t.tex - french hyphenation patterns (V2.5) <1999/03/08>)
language       : no hyphenations fr for fr (n=3)
language       : patterns sp for sp loaded (n=4)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/sphyph.tex)
language       : no hyphenations sp for sp (n=4)
language       : patterns nl for nl loaded (n=5)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/nehyph2.tex)
language       : no hyphenations nl for nl (n=5)
bodyfont       : variant cmr is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/font-cmr.tex)
bodyfont       : variant cmx is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/font-cmx.tex <unprotect 2> <protect 2>)

ConTeXt ver: 1999.5.11 fmt: 1999.9.2 int: english mes: english

 ) )
Beginning to dump on file cont-en.efmt
 (format=cont-en 1999.9.2)
20698 strings of total length 317632
254610 memory locations dumped; current usage is 171&252206
19177 multiletter control sequences
\font\nullfont=nullfont
0 words of font info for 0 preloaded fonts
22 hyphenation exceptions
Hyphenation trie of length 35879 has 922 ops out of 1501
  187 for language 5
  9 for language 4
  86 for language 3
  235 for language 2
  224 for language 1
  181 for language 0

@ 1999-09-02 16:45     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thomas Porter wrote:

> Thanks, this worked fine (I think!)  See my later comments on lots of
> 'skipping' messages.

This is ok. I load plain tex first but without fonts. While loading
\font is redefined.

> \useenvironment[green] % the so called 'green' presentation

This should be

 \usemodule[green]

Sorry for the error.

> so it looks as if it does not understand the \useenvironment command.

My error. It should run now.

Beware, the green style uses some MP graphics. If things are ok, MP is
run automatically by texexec.

You can make a local cont-sys.tex file saying:

  \runMPgraphicstrue

but then you need to enable \write18 in the texmf.cnf file

(it makes sense to learn MP, much fun!)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: newbie problems trying to build cont-en with texexec
@ 1999-09-02 18:36       ` Thomas Porter
From: Thomas Porter @ 1999-09-02 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 06:45:19PM +0200, Hans Hagen thoughtfully expounded:
> Thomas Porter wrote:
>
> > Thanks, this worked fine (I think!)  See my later comments on lots of
> > 'skipping' messages.
>
> This is ok. I load plain tex first but without fonts. While loading
> \font is redefined.

OK, thanks for the warning.  I ger nervous about lots of messages like this!

> > \useenvironment[green] % the so called 'green' presentation
>
> This should be
>
>  \usemodule[green]

I tried this and got:
----------

[...]

system         : no macros found in m-green
system         : no macros found in s-green
system         : no macros found in p-green
! Undefined control sequence.
l.5 \Topics
           {How about this}
?

----------

> Sorry for the error.

As my boss once told me, you are the only one qualified to make that error!

I saw the rest of your comments on MetaPost, and while I have used it as a
stand-alone tool to draw a logo, I have not used it much inside of TeX.  Please
let me know if the errors I am seeing are possibly due to that.

I tried to rgrep the context portion of the texmf tree for green, but did not
find anything like m-green, s-green, or p-green.  I assume these have to do
with the output formats: presentation or printed??

Sorry for all the questions, but ConTeXt seems really worth the work to learn!

--

@ 1999-09-02 20:22         ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-09-02 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Thomas,

> > > \useenvironment[green] % the so called 'green' presentation
> > This should be
> >  \usemodule[green]

> system         : no macros found in m-green
> system         : no macros found in s-green
> system         : no macros found in p-green
Well the reson is clear: s-green.tex isn't there,
Have a look at the documentation at http://www.pragma-ade.nl/styles.htm
and you realize that green is the second style. So try:
  \usemodule[pre-02]
I'm sure it will soon be possible to use green, but the version as of 20th of
August doesn't supply this name/alias. (Hm maybe I don't use this version but an
older one? Never trust SuSE 6.1->6.2 updates.)

> find anything like m-green, s-green, or p-green.  I assume these have to do
m- is module, s- style (?) and p- I don't know.

(btw: you might need to change s-pre-02.tex, I for instance don't have Lucida
fonts, so I need to change this:
- \setupbodyfont[lbr,14.4pt]
+ \setupbodyfont[14.4pt]

(Moreover the MP stuff doesn't work, but I suspect this is due to the 6.1->6.2
suse update)

Tobias

* Re: newbie problems trying to build cont-en with texexec
@ 1999-09-02 21:51         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-02 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thomas Porter wrote:

> systems        : begin file present at line 1
> system         : no macros found in m-green
> system         : no macros found in s-green
> system         : no macros found in p-green

Ah, another error of mine. That comes from keying in and not testing.

\usemodule[pre-green]

There are six styles: pre-01 upto pre-06 (I already have 13 here).

These are mapped onto more logical names (see cont-fil.tex).

> I saw the rest of your comments on MetaPost, and while I have used it as a
> stand-alone tool to draw a logo, I have not used it much inside of TeX.  Please
> let me know if the errors I am seeing are possibly due to that.

You will see that soon enough. You can embed mp in context documents,
like

\startMPgraphic
  mp code
\stopMPgraphics

(btw, in 1999-003.pdf you can see how mp is used to do flow charts, and
in 1998-002.pdf mp does the chemical drawings).

> Sorry for all the questions, but ConTeXt seems really worth the work to learn!

Still my error.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: newbie problems trying to build cont-en with texexec
@ 1999-09-02 22:02           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-02 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: txporter, ntg-context

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> I'm sure it will soon be possible to use green, but the version as of 20th of
> August doesn't supply this name/alias. (Hm maybe I don't use this version but an
> older one? Never trust SuSE 6.1->6.2 updates.)

I prefer the prefix: pre-green

You can map file yourself (cont-sys,tex):

\definefilesynonym[green][s-pre-02]

> - \setupbodyfont[lbr,14.4pt]
> + \setupbodyfont[14.4pt]

Ah, how about adding :

\definefilesynonym[font-lbr][font-forgetaboutit]

to cont-sys.tex?

> (Moreover the MP stuff doesn't work, but I suspect this is due to the 6.1->6.2
> suse update)

How can? Does mpost not run at all? does \write18 not work? etc etc?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE