* error messages when using lates cont-tmf.zip
@ 1999-09-03 20:17 Thomas Porter
From: Thomas Porter @ 1999-09-03 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I decided to try the lates cont-tmf.zip and when I unzipped it into my
/usr/share/texmf tree and tried to texexec a simple test file, I got a message
asking e to update my pdftex binaries.  I am using 13.d.  Is there anything
else easily obtainable?  The
http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/thanh/pdftex-beta/latest/bin/Linux
points to a 13.d version.

Thanks!

--
Tom Porter                                       txporter@mindspring.com
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],

* Re: error messages when using lates cont-tmf.zip
@ 1999-09-03 22:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-03 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thomas Porter wrote:

> I decided to try the lates cont-tmf.zip and when I unzipped it into my
> /usr/share/texmf tree and tried to texexec a simple test file, I got a message
> asking e to update my pdftex binaries.  I am using 13.d.  Is there anything
> else easily obtainable?  The
> http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/thanh/pdftex-beta/latest/bin/Linux
> points to a 13.d version.

Although context is downward compatible, updating pdftex is a good idea.
There has been quite some low level changes, optimizations, fixes. The
next release (i'm testing it currently) has more robust pdf inclusion
and font sharing, so keep an eye on it.

Here I run real betas which are not always stable, I start wondering
where 14a is.

I think Thanh will update in a few days anyway.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: error messages when using lates cont-tmf.zip
@ 1999-09-04  7:44 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-09-04  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Thomas Porter wrote:

> I decided to try the lates cont-tmf.zip and when I unzipped it into my
> /usr/share/texmf tree and tried to texexec a simple test file, I got a message
> asking e to update my pdftex binaries.  I am using 13.d.  Is there anything
> else easily obtainable?  The
> http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/thanh/pdftex-beta/latest/bin/Linux
> points to a 13.d version.

At http://www.fi.muni.cz/~thanh/tmp/ is the new PDFTeX version, but only as
source and DJGPP binary.
But you might consider to get the latest teTeX-source (beta) and compile it
yourself:

Thomas Esser (te) writes at tetex[-pretest]@informatik.uni-hannover.de:
!I just want to announce that I just have uploaded a new version of
!teTeX-beta for ftp. The files will be available at
!  ftp://ftp.rrzn.uni-hannover.de/pub/local/misc/teTeX-beta/
!and on
!  CTAN:systems/unix/teTeX-beta
!
!The changes in the sources are:
!  - update to pdftex-0.14a
               ############
!  - update to xdvik-22.15
!  - new option: -default-translate-file (used for CS-TeX)
!
!Changes in the texmf tree:
!
!  Everything should be up-to-date now:
!  - new latex, context, hyperref, babel, etc. etc.
                #######
!  - added support for CS-TeX (formats just have to be enabled via
!    texconfig)
!
! I am away from mail now for three weeks and I'll return after the
! EuroTeX'99 conference. Report bugs or suggestions to the tetex-pretest
! list.

So far,

Tobias