* Table p column format
@ 1999-09-07 11:48 Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-09-07 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Is the p table column format supposed to justify paragraphs?  I get a
ragged right edge.

- Matthew

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* Re: Table p column format
@ 1999-09-07 13:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-07 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Matthew Baker wrote:

> Is the p table column format supposed to justify paragraphs?  I get a
> ragged right edge.

pc pl pr

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Table p column format
@ 1999-09-07 13:25   ` Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-09-07 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Hans Hagen wrote:

> pc pl pr

Hmm.  I have

|l|p(140mm)|

Changing that to

|l|pc(140mm)|

gives me an error (it complains that ( is not a valid format character.

I don't think I understand tables :(

--

@ 1999-09-07 14:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-07 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Matthew Baker wrote:

> |l|p(140mm)|
>
> Changing that to
>
> |l|pc(140mm)|
>
> gives me an error (it complains that ( is not a valid format character.
>
> I don't think I understand tables :(

Yes you do, watch:

|l|p(140mm)c|

The (140mm) is a specification to p, not to c -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Table p column format
@ 1999-09-07 15:00       ` Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-09-07 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Hans Hagen wrote:

> |l|p(140mm)c|
>
> The (140mm) is a specification to p, not to c -)

I had tried this also.  p(140mm)c, p(140mm)r and p(140mm)l all seem to
give the same thing.  Here's what I have

\starttable[|l|p(7cm)c|]
\NC one \NC This is a paragraph which runs over more than one line and
should be justified.  However, I get a ragged right egde.\FR
\stoptable

Another problem I've just come across: My ß comes out as SS when I use the
pos,per bodyfont.  I'm sure this didn't use to happen a couple of versions
ago.  Works fine in lbr.

- Matthew

--

@ 1999-09-07 15:24         ` Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-09-07 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > |l|p(140mm)c|
> >
> > The (140mm) is a specification to p, not to c -)
>
> I had tried this also.  p(140mm)c, p(140mm)r and p(140mm)l all seem to
> give the same thing.  Here's what I have
>
> \starttable[|l|p(7cm)c|]
> \NC one \NC This is a paragraph which runs over more than one line and
> should be justified.  However, I get a ragged right egde.\FR
> \stoptable

Works for me, but I noticed you forgot the \NC just before the \FR (this is
necessary as far as I know).

> Another problem I've just come across: My ß comes out as SS when I use the
> pos,per bodyfont.  I'm sure this didn't use to happen a couple of versions
> ago.  Works fine in lbr.

Hans changed input encoding stuff. Perhaps that's your problem?:

\useencoding[your input encoding]

where your input encoding should be XXX from one of the enco-XXX.tex files.

Gilbert.

* Re: Table p column format
@ 1999-09-07 15:50         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-07 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Matthew Baker wrote:

> \starttable[|l|p(7cm)c|]
> \NC one \NC This is a paragraph which runs over more than one line and
> should be justified.  However, I get a ragged right egde.\FR
> \stoptable

Ah, change \FR into \NC \NR: close the column and goto the next row

> Another problem I've just come across: My ß comes out as SS when I use the
> pos,per bodyfont.  I'm sure this didn't use to happen a couple of versions
> ago.  Works fine in lbr.

What is pos,per? Do you mean pos,ber? How do you invoke the german s?
\SS as well as "s in \de mode works ok here, in cmr and in pos and in
lbr.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Table p column format
@ 1999-09-07 16:13           ` Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-09-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Ah, change \FR into \NC \NR: close the column and goto the next row

Nope, tried that as well.  File attached.

> What is pos,per? Do you mean pos,ber? How do you invoke the german s?
> \SS as well as "s in \de mode works ok here, in cmr and in pos and in
> lbr.

Yes, I did mean to type pos,ber.  I have tried the ß key (German
keyboard), "s and \SS.  All with the same result, ie SS.  It prints
nothing in cmr, ie Schloß comes out as Schlo.  I never got that to work in
LaTeX either.  It's basically why I gave up on cmr and bought the lbr
fonts.  When you say "here", do you mean tetex and unix?

- Matthew

--

@ 1999-09-07 22:06           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-07 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:

> > \starttable[|l|p(7cm)c|]
> > \NC one \NC This is a paragraph which runs over more than one line and
> > should be justified.  However, I get a ragged right egde.\FR
> > \stoptable
>
> Works for me, but I noticed you forgot the \NC just before the \FR (this is
> necessary as far as I know).

I realized that you use \starttable. When you don't use vertical rules,
I advice \starttabulate because that one breaks across pages.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Table p column format
@ 1999-09-07 22:16             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-07 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Matthew Baker wrote:

> > What is pos,per? Do you mean pos,ber? How do you invoke the german s?
> > \SS as well as "s in \de mode works ok here, in cmr and in pos and in
> > lbr.
>
> Yes, I did mean to type pos,ber.  I have tried the ß key (German
> keyboard), "s and \SS.  All with the same result, ie SS.  It prints
> nothing in cmr, ie Schloß comes out as Schlo.  I never got that to work in
> LaTeX either.  It's basically why I gave up on cmr and bought the lbr
> fonts.  When you say "here", do you mean tetex and unix?

"s only works when the language is \de (\german)

what does \show\SS report?

Plain tex says:

  \chardef\ss="19

so you can try \chardef\SS="19 (just try not stick to it)

and (I cannot type ss here, so imagine q to be ss):

\catcode`q=\active \def q{\char"19\relax}

At least this should give you some cues.

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE