* text vs command at end of itemize
@ 1999-09-11  1:49 Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-09-11  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've noticed a strange effect at the end of an itemized list.
Beginning the line that follows the list with a command seems to
conflict with the "after" option:

\setupwhitespace[medium]
\setupindenting[medium]
\def\trademark{\low{{\tfxx(TM)}}}

\setupitemize[each][2*broad][before=\blank,after=\blank]

\starttext

Taking ``foo'' out of the sentence below the list breaks the
\type{[after=\blank]} option from \type{\setupindenting}.

\startitemize[n,packed]
  \item Goretex\trademark
  \item Get windproof fleece
  \item[nomotion1] Avoid windy areas and/or motion relative to the
	  surrounding air
\stopitemize

foo \in{Item}[nomotion1] is a bit hard to accomplish.

\midaligned{{\it --vs.--}}

\startitemize[n,packed]
  \item Goretex\trademark
  \item Get windproof fleece
  \item[nomotion2] Avoid windy areas and/or motion relative to the
	  surrounding air
\stopitemize

\in{Item}[nomotion2] is a bit hard to accomplish.

\stoptext

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu

* Re: text vs command at end of itemize
@ 1999-09-11 22:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-11 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ed L. Cashin" wrote:

> I've noticed a strange effect at the end of an itemized list.
> Beginning the line that follows the list with a command seems to
> conflict with the "after" option:

> \stopitemize
>
> \in{Item}[nomotion2] is a bit hard to accomplish.

This is not so much with the after option, but more a side effect of
indentation, everypar, etc etc. and the moment when tex decides to enter
horizontal mode.

Some solutions are: \indent \noindent \strut \leavevmode

The problem is that all of hese have unwanted side effects, especially
\leavevmode can badly interfere with vertical spacing (which is one
reason why so many tex documents have sub optimal vertical spacing.

You can precede the \in by \dontleavehmode. This is a rather funny
macro: {\ifmmode\else$ $\fi} with not so many side effects. I still have
my doubts about adding this one to for instance \in alike macros, but
maybe I should.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: text vs command at end of itemize
@ 1999-09-13  2:23   ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-09-13  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> "Ed L. Cashin" wrote:
>
> > I've noticed a strange effect at the end of an itemized list.
> > Beginning the line that follows the list with a command seems to
> > conflict with the "after" option:
>
> > \stopitemize
> >
> > \in{Item}[nomotion2] is a bit hard to accomplish.
>
> This is not so much with the after option, but more a side effect of
> indentation, everypar, etc etc. and the moment when tex decides to enter
> horizontal mode.
>
> Some solutions are: \indent \noindent \strut \leavevmode
>
> The problem is that all of hese have unwanted side effects,
> especially \leavevmode can badly interfere with vertical spacing
> (which is one reason why so many tex documents have sub optimal
> vertical spacing.

I've been getting by with "\null".  Would null have those side
effects?  I suppose so.

> You can precede the \in by \dontleavehmode. This is a rather funny
> macro: {\ifmmode\else$ $\fi} with not so many side effects.

That *is* pretty strange. :)  "Don't do anything if we're in math
mode.  If we're not in math mode, do nothing in math mode.  Is that
the gist of it?

--

@ 1999-09-13  7:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-13  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ed L. Cashin" wrote:

> I've been getting by with "\null".  Would null have those side
> effects?  I suppose so.

Null is actually an empty box, and in certain situations, such a box can
invoke a new line after it, or spoil indentation or ...

> > You can precede the \in by \dontleavehmode. This is a rather funny
> > macro: {\ifmmode\else$ $\fi} with not so many side effects.
>
> That *is* pretty strange. :)  "Don't do anything if we're in math
> mode.  If we're not in math mode, do nothing in math mode.  Is that
> the gist of it?

Yes, and "test\dontleavehmode test" indeed gives nothing, but it does
enter / keep you in hmode. Until now it proved a better way out than
\leavevmode.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE