* texexec --pdf not finding figures when texexec does.
@ 1999-10-03  3:04 Thomas Porter
From: Thomas Porter @ 1999-10-03  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I downloaded the samples.zip from the Pragma site to play with.

Running pdftex 14.c,
ConTeXt  ver: 1999.9.13  fmt: 1999.9.29  int: english  mes: english

When I `texexec figs` producing dvi output, all works just fine, but when I
`texexec --pdf figs` I get:

"figures        : figure cd can not be found" in the log

for the cd.eps in the directory where I have figs.tex.

Relevent line in figs.tex:

\externalfigure[cd.eps][width=1cm]

This may be a FAQ, but I figure this must have to do with pdftex processing in
some way.  Am I missing a PATH setting in a config file, perhaps?  All document
tex and graphic files are in the directory where I ran texexec.

Any ideas very welcome!

--
Tom Porter                                       txporter@mindspring.com
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],

* Re: texexec --pdf not finding figures when texexec does.
@ 1999-10-03 10:17 ` Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-10-03 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Thomas Porter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I downloaded the samples.zip from the Pragma site to play with.
>
> Running pdftex 14.c,
> ConTeXt  ver: 1999.9.13  fmt: 1999.9.29  int: english  mes: english
>
> When I `texexec figs` producing dvi output, all works just fine, but when I
> `texexec --pdf figs` I get:
>
> "figures        : figure cd can not be found" in the log
>
> for the cd.eps in the directory where I have figs.tex.
>
> Relevent line in figs.tex:
>
> \externalfigure[cd.eps][width=1cm]

Hi Thomas,

Pdftex is unable to read EPS files, thus your problem.  Try converting it
to PDF with the command

texutil --figures --epstopdf cd.eps

and change your \externalfigure line to

\externalfigure[cd][width=1cm]

If you ommit the filename extension, the most appropriate file will
usually be selected.  I'm not sure if texexec can do this automatically.
I always use texutil myself for this.

Hans: This reminds me,  the output for the above includes the lines

              eps file : cd.eps
              pdf file : cd.eps

Should the latter be "cd.pdf"?

> This may be a FAQ, but I figure this must have to do with pdftex processing in
> some way.  Am I missing a PATH setting in a config file, perhaps?  All
docume$
> tex and graphic files are in the directory where I ran texexec.

There is no FAQ yet, but there will be a mail archive soon...

Cheers,
Matthew

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* Re: texexec --pdf not finding figures when texexec does.
@ 1999-10-03 23:32   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-10-03 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Matthew Baker wrote:

> Hans: This reminds me,  the output for the above includes the lines
>
>               eps file : cd.eps
>               pdf file : cd.eps
>
> Should the latter be "cd.pdf"?

what's meant is that it's a eps file prepared for pdf. It's still an eps
one, but with some additional info (page size set and guard against
redoing it and some AI rubish removed).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE