* texexec problem
@ 1999-10-03 19:24 Walter Kehowski
From: Walter Kehowski @ 1999-10-03 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Final Frontier: ConTeXt

I would like to experiment with ConTeXt but am having some trouble
getting it to run. When I type

texexec --make

I get the following error message:

Missing $ on loop variable at C:\localtexmf\context\perltk\texexec.pl at
line 576.

I also get this error message when I type

texexec --verbose

What could be the problem? BTW, I have set my path in autoexec.bat to

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\texmf\miktex\bin
set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Perl\bin;C:\localtexmf\context\perltk

and I have changed all directories in texexec.ini to C:\localtexmf\...
so that when I upgrade MiKTeX I don't have to re-install ConTeXt. (This
might be a better option than the current setup, or else what's a
localtexmf for?) I have made the necessary copies of runperl.exe. Of
course, I refreshed the fndb.

Two questions: Is it necessary to make a (renamed) copy of runperl.exe
for every perl script added to the installation? texunits.pl, for
example. Will ConTeXt overwrite any format files already created by
MiKTeX?

Thanks to David Arnold and Hans Hagen for their help in getting me to
this point.

Sincerely,

******************************
 Walter A. Kehowski
 Mathematics
 Glendale Community College
 Glendale, AZ
 kehowski@gc.maricopa.edu
******************************

* Re: texexec problem
@ 1999-10-03 21:40 ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-10-03 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Walter Kehowski <kehowski@gc.maricopa.edu> writes:

> The Final Frontier: ConTeXt
>
> I would like to experiment with ConTeXt but am having some trouble
> getting it to run. When I type
>
> texexec --make

I think that that option is for generating formats.  For example, to
make english and dutch formats:

        texexec --make en nl

> texexec --verbose

The "--verbose" option is meant to go along with other things, e.g. to
compile from a context source called "myletter.tex", you'd say,

        texexec --verbose myletter

I think that the beginner's manual helped with this. ... (it's all
blurring together)

        http://www.pragma-ade.nl/document.htm

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu

* Re: texexec problem
@ 1999-10-03 23:48   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-10-03 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Walter Kehowski, ntg-context

"Ed L. Cashin" wrote:

> > texexec --verbose
>
> The "--verbose" option is meant to go along with other things, e.g. to
> compile from a context source called "myletter.tex", you'd say,
>
>         texexec --verbose myletter

It provides a bit more info, like the paths being used.

> I think that the beginner's manual helped with this. ... (it's all
> blurring together)
>
>         http://www.pragma-ade.nl/document.htm

I'm going to rewrite the installation manual (I just made the cover
during a slow boaring background job). I expect input from all -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec problem
@ 1999-10-03 23:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-10-03 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Walter,

> I get the following error message:
>
> Missing $ on loop variable at C:\localtexmf\context\perltk\texexec.pl at
> line 576.

Hm. No loop in my version. Do you use version 1.6? Looks like an old
perl to me.

> I also get this error message when I type
>
> texexec --verbose

What error message?

> Two questions: Is it necessary to make a (renamed) copy of runperl.exe
> for every perl script added to the installation? texunits.pl, for

Yes. Unless you run 4dos and have programs coupled to extensions.

> example. Will ConTeXt overwrite any format files already created by
> MiKTeX?

texexec --make nl en

will create cont-en.efmt and cont-nl.efmt and indeed overwrite older
copies. (I also use context to generate plain formats: texexec --make
--format=plain)

> Thanks to David Arnold and Hans Hagen for their help in getting me to
> this point.

I hope it runs ok? Please note down your recepies so that they canbe
used for the new installation manual.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE