* Palatino
@ 1999-10-13  8:15 Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-10-13  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't think this is specifically a ConTeXt question but there are some
font gurus on this list.

I have written a font-ppl.tex for the Palatino font  it has

\definefontsynonym [Serif]            [Palatino-Roman]
\definefontsynonym [SerifBold]        [Palatino-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]      [Palatino-Italic]
\definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]     [Palatino-Slanted]
\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]  [Palatino-BoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted] [Palatino-BoldSlanted]
\definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]        [Palatino-Roman]

In font-fit.tex I have added

\definefontsynonym [Palatino-Roman]           [pplr]  [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-Italic]          [pplri] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-Slanted]         [pplro] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-Bold]            [pplb]  [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-BoldItalic]      [pplbi] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-BoldSlanted]     [pplbo] [encoding=texnansi]

pdftex.conf already contained the lines

pplb8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplb8a.pfb
pplbi8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplbi8a.pfb
pplbo8r ".167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplb8a.pfb
pplr8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplr8a.pfb
pplri8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplri8a.pfb
pplro8r ".167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplr8a.pfb

Now \setupbodyfont[ppl] gives me Palatino in with appropriate variants.
Accented letters work fine but the sharp S doesn't come up, ` comes out at
' and there seem to be no ligatures.

Is this an encoding problem or are these likely to be missing from the
font?  I have tried various encodings (with \useencoding), all of which
give me the same thing.

- Matt

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* Re: Palatino
@ 1999-10-13  8:37 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-10-13  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

 MB> I don't think this is specifically a ConTeXt question but there
 MB> are some font gurus on this list.

But is *is* a context question.

 MB> I have written a font-ppl.tex for the Palatino font it has

 MB> In font-fit.tex I have added

font-fit ?? What's that?

 MB> \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Roman] [pplr] [encoding=texnansi]

 MB> pdftex.conf already contained the lines

 MB> pplb8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplb8a.pfb

TeXBase1Encoding becomes ec.enc, depending on user-level *8t files.
Therefore, the previous section is wrong. You need lines like:

   \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Italic] [pplri8t] [encoding=ec]

(add 8t suffixes and change all encodings to ec)

Greetings,

Taco
--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --

* Re: Palatino
@ 1999-10-14  6:19   ` Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-10-14  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> TeXBase1Encoding becomes ec.enc, depending on user-level *8t files.
> Therefore, the previous section is wrong. You need lines like:
>
>    \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Italic] [pplri8t] [encoding=ec]
>
> (add 8t suffixes and change all encodings to ec)

Ah, I see.  I have changed my lines in font-ppl.tex to be like above and
still have lines of the form

   pplb8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplb8a.pfb

in pdftex.conf.  Everything still works as before except ß comes up as SS
(I always get this with the ec encoding in ConTeXt).  And I still have no
ligatures.  Do I need to change pdftex.conf?

Oh when I wrote "font-fit.tex" I meant "font-fil.tex".

- Matt

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* germandbls
@ 1999-10-14  9:31     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-10-14  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Matthew> in pdftex.conf.  Everything still works as before except
    Matthew> ß comes up as SS (I always get this with the ec encoding
    Matthew> in ConTeXt).  And I still have no ligatures.  Do I need

There are two problems here at the same time I think, one in
enco-ec.tex and one in your input file.

- enco-ec misses a line. Hans, please add this one close to the SS one:

\definecharacter ss 255

(have to regenerate formats after that change)

- you need \useencoding[win] for ß to map to the right control sequence.

Taco

--

@ 1999-10-14  9:40     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-10-14  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Matthew> Ah, I see.  I have changed my lines in font-ppl.tex to be
    Matthew> like above and still have lines of the form

    Matthew>    pplb8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
    Matthew> <uplb8a.pfb

    Matthew> in pdftex.conf.  Everything still works as before except
    Matthew> ß comes up as SS (I always get this with the ec encoding
    Matthew> in ConTeXt).  And I still have no ligatures.  Do I need

I cannot think of a reason for not having ligatures except broken tfm/vf
files. Try this:

	   tftopl `kpsewhich --progname=pdfetex pplb8t.tfm` | grep 'LIG '

(you should have 2 times 15 hits)

If this works OK, then probably your vf is broken:

	   vftovp `kpsewhich  --progname=pdfetex pplb8t.vf` | grep 'LIG '

(you should also have 2 times 15 hits)

    Matthew> to change pdftex.conf?

No, I don't think so.

Taco

* Re: germandbls
@ 1999-10-14 11:01       ` Peter Willadt
From: Peter Willadt @ 1999-10-14 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater schrieb:

> There are two problems here at the same time I think, one in
> enco-ec.tex and one in your input file.
>
> - enco-ec misses a line. Hans, please add this one close to the SS one:
>
> \definecharacter ss 255
>
> (have to regenerate formats after that change)
>
> - you need \useencoding[win] for ß to map to the right control sequence.

Hello,

this also resolves my problems with german double s reported a few days
ago.

Peter Willadt

* germandbls and Palatino
@ 1999-10-15 13:09       ` Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-10-15 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco, Hans, everyone,

Still no success with either ligatures or sharp s's.  I added the line
Taco suggested to enco-ec.tex but, as far as I can tell, it had no effect.
Switching to the win encoding causes "s and ß to switch to sans-serif
font.  I imagine this is because \SS switches to sans serif.  In
font-ini.tex there is the line

\let\SS=\ss

The comment above says this is to to make \SS produce the sharp s so that
\ss can safely be overridden with the sans-serif command.  If I comment
this line out and remake the format files, ß and "s no longer switch to
sans serif.  So it seems to me that, when font-ini.tex is loaded, \ss
already is set up to switch to sans-serif.

That's the ß problem.  I had a look in both my tfm and vf files and they
both contain 2 times 15 ligature lines.  Are there any switches in context
that can cause it to produce more output that will help in finding this
problem?

- Matt

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* Re: germandbls and Palatino
@ 1999-10-15 15:32         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-10-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Matthew,

Looks like (at least) your context distrib is broken. The format
generation log might help, but if not than my guess would be: delete
all context-related stuff from your harddisk and re-install.

This does not really explain the missing ligs though. Another thing
that might help is a very small input file + log + dvi:

\setupbodyfont[ber,ppl]\useencoding[win]{\tracingall"s---ß? finally?}\bye

(please send all that junk directly to me, not to the list)

Greetings and good luck,

Taco

@ 2000-04-27  8:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-04-27  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:10 AM 4/26/2000 +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:

>>\pdfprotrudechars=0

It moves chars defined as such in the margin, like hanging punctuation.
Some day soon I will provide support for this (is currently under test as
part of Thanhs thesis).

>Yeah, it's a bug in enco-ec.  There
>
>    \definecharacter sz 223
>    \definecharacter SS 223
>
>has to be replaced by
>
>    \definecharacter sz 255
>    \definecharacter SS 255

Ok. Changed.

>available in 256 chars.  Maybe it's good to use tb1 instead of ec to have
>direct access to \copyright (now this is build from a circle out of
>CMSY10 and 'c') and the like -- have to think about that.

I can make a tb1 if someone provides me the right list of numbers ...

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: germandbls
@ 2000-04-26  0:10 ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-04-26  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

You wrote on Die, 18 Apr 2000:

I finally found the answer for this longstanding problem:

>Hi Taco, Hi all,
>
>with the new Context regular and beta the pdf-file of the following file
>shows no sz:
>
>\pdfprotrudechars=0

I hope this is a new command in pdftex-0.14 ;-)  What is it supposed to do?

>\setupbodyfont[pos,ber]
>\useencoding[win]
>\mainlanguage[de]
>\starttext
>weiß wei"s wei\SS
>\showencoding
>\stoptext
>
>perhaps a bug in enco-win or enco-ini or enco-ec?

Yeah, it's a bug in enco-ec.  There

    \definecharacter sz 223
    \definecharacter SS 223

has to be replaced by

    \definecharacter sz 255
    \definecharacter SS 255

Don't forget to rebuild your context formats!

Why?  223 is the code for germandbls in TexBase1-encoding -- 255 the same
in EC- or Cork-encoding.  I didn't scan the rest of the file for other
TexBase1-codes ...

AFAI can see, TexBase1 is the encoding with most of the important glyphs
available in 256 chars.  Maybe it's good to use tb1 instead of ec to have
direct access to \copyright (now this is build from a circle out of
CMSY10 and 'c') and the like -- have to think about that.

Yours
Uwe Koloska

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: germandbls
@ 2000-04-18 23:59 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2000-04-18 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Lutz,

I don't use the latest version of context at the moment (I need to
work on something that requires a stable platform) so I cannot debug
your problem. You might want to try adding \useencoding[ec] and/or
deleting the \useencoding[win]. Tobias could maybe help you?

Greetings, Taco

--

@ 2000-04-18  7:40 Haseloff, Lutz
From: Haseloff, Lutz @ 2000-04-18  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco, Hi all,

with the new Context regular and beta the pdf-file of the following file
shows no sz:

\pdfprotrudechars=0
\setupbodyfont[pos,ber]
\useencoding[win]
\mainlanguage[de]
\starttext
weiß wei"s wei\SS
\showencoding
\stoptext

perhaps a bug in enco-win or enco-ini or enco-ec?
(i use ec encoding)

Greetings

Lutz