* ConTeXt german hyphenation
@ 1999-10-17 13:04 Peter Willadt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Willadt @ 1999-10-17 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

when hyphenating german texts, context seems to fail on words containing
the umlauts (äöü). With LaTeX, hyphenation works. Somehow this reminds
me of oldtime TeX (I know, accented letters do introduce explicit kerns,
and TeX never hyphenates at an explicit kern, but after all I type an
eight-bit character and also an eight-bit character is typeset, I
thought).

Here is an example (have I made something wrong in my setup?):

\starttext
\useencoding[win]
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setupbodyfont[ber, ptm]
\mainlanguage[de]
\de
\showhyphens{Altenpflegeschülerinnen}
\stoptext

TeX then says Al-ten-pfle-geschülerinnen

With LaTeX, TeX says  Al-ten-pfle-gesch[]ule-rin-nen, which is much
better, it misses only two possible breaks. As I guess that ConTeXt uses
the same hyphenation table as LaTeX does, this is quite astonishing to
me.

Peter Willadt