* Generating a table of contents
@ 1999-10-18 23:34 Tony Keating
From: Tony Keating @ 1999-10-18 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to generate a table of contents without much luck. I think the
problem is due to the fact that I'm using \subject's rather than \section's
(though I could be wrong). I'm setting up the contents list with:

\definelist[subject]
\definelist[subsubject]
\definecombinedlist[contents][subject,subsubject]

Then after the \starttext, I use

\placecontents

to get the table of contents. But I get nothing in the output. texexec shows
the following error:

system         : subject,subsubject not found/processed

It shows a similar error if I define the lists as chapter and section.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Tony.

--
Tony Keating <keating@mech.uq.edu.au> [http://www.mech.uq.edu.au/~tonyk]
PhD Student - Large Eddy Simulation of near-wall mass transfer

* Re: Generating a table of contents
@ 1999-10-19  8:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-10-19  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Tony Keating wrote:

> I'm trying to generate a table of contents without much luck. I think the
> problem is due to the fact that I'm using \subject's rather than \section's
> (though I could be wrong). I'm setting up the contents list with:
>
> \definelist[subject]
> \definelist[subsubject]
> \definecombinedlist[contents][subject,subsubject]
>
> Then after the \starttext, I use
>
> \placecontents
>
> to get the table of contents. But I get nothing in the output. texexec shows
> the following error:
>
> system         : subject,subsubject not found/processed

This is ok. Subjects, being the unnumbered alternatives, are not written
to the utility file. COmpare the *.tuo files (two runs needed, but  this
is handled by texexec) of

\starttext
\subject{test}
\stoptext

and

\definehead[subject][section]
\setuphead[subject][number=no]
\starttext
\subject{test}
\stoptext

Now you can also say:

\definehead[subject][section]
\setuphead[subject][number=no]
\starttext
\placelist[subject] % or [chapter,subject,...]
\subject{test}
\stoptext

or

\starttext
\definehead[subject][section]
\setuphead[subject][number=no]
\definecombinedlist[content][subject]
\placecombinedlist[content]
\subject{test}
\stoptext

If a list turns up, also depends on the settings of criterium or level.
When you say

\chapter {something}
\placelist[subject][criterium=chapter]

you will get the subjects per chapter.

By default, combinedlists will generate lists for the current level,
while an index is generated at the document level, but one can influence
this (indexes per chapter or section or ... and so on).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE