* Position of figures
@ 1999-10-21  6:14 Haseloff, Lutz
From: Haseloff, Lutz @ 1999-10-21  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Is it possible in ConTeXt to place a figure or text on the page
*independent* of all other
contents of the page and *independent* of the margins?
In LaTeX it was possible with the at.sty.
I tried out the Command \position(number,number){text}, but it places
text and figures depending from the current Position and gives me many
overfull \hbox and \vbox messages, \hss and \vss didn´t help.
My TeX Knowledge isn´t that deep, that i could change the content of \output
without crashing ConTeXt.

Thank you and excuse my bad english

Lutz

btw, what means degelijkheid?

* Re: Position of figures
@ 1999-10-21 11:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-10-21 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

"Haseloff, Lutz" wrote:

> Is it possible in ConTeXt to place a figure or text on the page
> *independent* of all other
> contents of the page and *independent* of the margins?
> In LaTeX it was possible with the at.sty.
> I tried out the Command \position(number,number){text}, but it places
> text and figures depending from the current Position and gives me many
> overfull \hbox and \vbox messages, \hss and \vss didn´t help.
> My TeX Knowledge isn´t that deep, that i could change the content of \output
> without crashing ConTeXt.

There are two mechanisms, one is described in the chapters I posted
recently , and deals with logo's, the other, more frequently used
mechanism is called overlays. Say you have:

  \defineoverlay[thisorthat][{\externalfigure[...]}]

then you can say:

  \setupbackgrounds
    [text][text]
    [background=thisorthat]

or even a collection of overlays, like background={color,one,two,three}
where color refers to the current backgroundcolor. When dealing with
overlays, one can use \overlaywidth and \overlayheight as dimensions
(macros actually). Overlays can be put behind all relevant areas:
headers, footers, text, margin, edge, top, bottom, and page. The latter
permits you to exactly position the figure, the former force
consistency. There is much more to say to this btw.

In my spare moments, 'm working on graphics layering as well, which
means graphics on and across layers, hooked into overlays. Rather nice
(and even impressive) I would say. Here I also have an experimental page
model for metapost, which means that one can have graphics that uses
dimensions and positions fed by tex, but permits more clever graphics.

In the next MAPS I will (if taco permits me) present some of this, so
maybe this is a reason to join the NTG -)

Hans

> btw, what means degelijkheid?

Ha, you refer to the language documentation where I classify according
to proverbs and so. It means that when germans do something they do it
quite well, they go for it, proper stuff and so. If you want to buy a
'degelijke' car, you'd better buy german. Of course 'degelijkheid' can
have its backsides too -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* NTG international (was Re: Position of figures)
@ 1999-10-22  3:00   ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-10-22  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Haseloff, Lutz, ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> In the next MAPS I will (if taco permits me) present some of this,
> so maybe this is a reason to join the NTG -)

Would it be too strange for a person from as far away as Georgia in
the USA to join the NTG?

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu

* Re: NTG international (was Re: Position of figures)
@ 1999-10-22  8:31     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-10-22  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Haseloff, Lutz, ntg-context

"Ed L. Cashin" wrote:

> > In the next MAPS I will (if taco permits me) present some of this,
> > so maybe this is a reason to join the NTG -)
>
> Would it be too strange for a person from as far away as Georgia in
> the USA to join the NTG?

The NTG has quite some non||dutch/belgian members and the MAPS is
dutch/english. Maybe taco (maps editor) can send you a 'review' copy.

(The polish user group has quite some non polish members btw, if you
ever can make it to their bachotek conference ... you'll probably wanted
to become a life long member too -).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* RE: NTG international (was Re: Position of figures)
@ 1999-10-22 15:31     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-10-22 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> Would it be too strange for a person from as far away as Georgia in
> the USA to join the NTG?

If you promise to come to every meeting :-)

Groetjes,

Berend. (-: