* First attempts at the math module
@ 1999-10-22 19:11 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 1999-10-22 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I find the output of this interesting. In the first display, the usual
Context philosophy of allowing the source file to have breaks to make it
more readable is nicely formatted in the output. If the same thing is
attempted with the new dmath environment, the line after the dmath
environment gets indented. This is not good, as it is not consistent with
the usual Context philosophy. In the third display, the line following the
display is again indented (obviously an error), but the spacing of the
display is horrible.

I've attached a dvi file of the output. I am using the latest beta
distribution of Context.

\usemodule[math]

\setupindenting[medium]

\starttext

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid
of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the
aid of their country.

Replace $j$ by $h-j$ and by $k-j$ in these sums to get [cf.~(26)]

\placeformula
\startformula
x^2+y^2=z^2
\stopformula

which is equivalent to the desired result.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid
of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the
aid of their country.

Replace $j$ by $h-j$ and by $k-j$ in these sums to get [cf.~(26)]

\startdmath
x^2+y^2=z^2
\stopdmath

which is equivalent to the desired result.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid
of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the
aid of their country.

Replace $j$ by $h-j$ and by $k-j$ in these sums to get [cf.~(26)]
\startdmath
x^2+y^2=z^2
\stopdmath
which is equivalent to the desired result.

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: junk.dvi --]

David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Mathematics Department
7351 Tompkins Hill Road
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476-4222

My Home Page
http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/index.htm

Ordinary Differential Equations Using Matlab
http://www.prenhall.com/books/esm_0130113816.html

* Re: First attempts at the math module
@ 1999-10-23 23:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-10-23 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

David Arnold wrote:

So this one is 'wrong':

> Replace $j$ by $h-j$ and by $k-j$ in these sums to get [cf.~(26)]
> \startdmath
> x^2+y^2=z^2
> \stopdmath
> which is equivalent to the desired result.

I suggest that all math display environments either start with a \par. I
don't want math to be dependant on spacing!

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: First attempts at the math module
@ 1999-10-25  9:20 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-10-25  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    David> All, I find the output of this interesting. In the first
    David> display, the usual Context philosophy of allowing the
    David> source file to have breaks to make it more readable is
    David> nicely formatted in the output. If the same thing is
    David> attempted with the new dmath environment, the line after
    David> the dmath environment gets indented. This is not good, as
    David> it is not consistent with the usual Context philosophy. In
    David> the third display, the line following the display is again
    David> indented (obviously an error), but the spacing of the
    David> display is horrible.

Agree. As I said, it was a rather automated conversion from the latex
version, and I just deleted the latex switches to handle this
indentation business. I need to figure out why the last one
forgets to insert \abovedisplayskip (which is really weird).

Thanks for looking into it,

Taco

--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --