From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: Taco Hoekwater <taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl>, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: temp file name conflicts in unattended document generation
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 08:59:56 +0100	[thread overview]

Ed L. Cashin wrote:

> > I agree with Ed here, there *is* a bit of a clash (also for
> > mpgraph.mp). But my solution is to use /var/tmp/$client-id as
> > directory, which solves the problem nicely.
>
> Wow, thanks, that's an excellent idea!  I heard about or saw someone
> do that once and had forgotten the technique.

In the current/next release when one says \protectbufferstrue in for
instance cont-sys.tex, temporary files will be prefixed. The protection
concerns the utility file copy, used to determine if more runs are
needed, the buffers used in a run and in figure inclusion (put a table
in a buffer and include it as 'external' figure and you can scale etc
like any figure), mpgraphics, mprun (a different kind of graphics), and
--still undocument but very well present-- the context_to_mp status info
file, which makes it possible to set up page backgrounds
spanning/combining areas, etc. Especially handling the mp files is
important, because in a next release I will introduce extensive embedded
graphic support, acting on graphic layers etc. Of course the texexec
option file is also protected now.

Now, prefixing is handled low level by:

\def\bufferprefix%
  {\ifprotectbuffers\jobname-\fi}

Technically, I can let texexec redefine this macro in the option file.
The best place for specifying the alternative prefix is probably the
texexec.ini file. Something:

  for tetex set TeXScratchPath to /var/tmp/$client-id

or so. which would result in

  print OPT "\\def\\bufferprefix{/var/tmp/$client-id/\n"

(of course I have to resolve the id first).

This would at least provide a decent cleanup method. Now, how is this on
windows?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE