From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: temp file name conflicts in unattended document generation
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 10:27:15 +0100	[thread overview]

Ed L. Cashin wrote:

> ... and I noticed that the formatting looks nicer with \typefile
> because of the way it handles tabs.  Tabs are kind of weird.  I should
> look at the code for \typefile for educational purposes.
>
> The green in the \startPL version is a bit hard to read, but I suppose
> that's configurable.

A few years ago, when writing articles for the MAPS, I found out that I
spent quite some time converting things to latex. I also needed some
features not present in latex. So, I rewrote the verbatim environment to
be generic. After that, taco started using the context verbatim macros
for the latex articles too (the maps editors accept both context and
latex input since there are two styles; actually, the maps was my main
reason for writing the gridsnapper, since I wanted the context articles
to have snapped column lines.)

In the maps, taco uses different fonts instead of colors, so indeed, it
is configurable. BTW, when you look at the verb-* files as well as the
core-ver file, you will see that this is one place where color palets
are used. We use colors, because they match our editing environment
(that we wrote some 10 years ago and are converting to perl/tk now).

There are several pretty printers: TEX, MP, PERL, JS, SQL, ..., and some
can be used mixed (which is what \newprettytrue enables). Actually, the
MP pretty printer handles for instance btex .. etex code as TEX, not as
MP. Of course there are limitations! It's just a substitute for real
literate programming, a thread that will be picked up soon.

Another feature of the verbatim environment, is that display verbatim
will not produce one line at the bottom or top of a page. One can turn
off this feature.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE