From: Tobias Burnus <burnus@gmx.de>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Building formats in private texmf tree
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 21:27:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Michael,

> Context is installed under the system-wide texmf tree, but I would like to
> install the latest version under my private texmf hierarchy. I unzip the
Try to persude them to update to the  3 January 2000 version.

> distribution and run mktexlsr to update my private ls-R database, but when I
> run `texexec --make', though it loads things from my private tree, when
> texexec tries to write it complains that:
> This is true, but how do I convince texexec to write in my private and not the
> system texmf tree? An alternative is to run `pdfetex -ini -efmt=cont-en
> -progname=context cont-en.ini'  for each format, but I suspect I am missing
> something. Any suggestions?
The following is for teTeX, if your system has something else, persude them to
update
to teTeX 1.0.6. (And maybe to a newer pdftex version)

Make sure that /opt/TeX/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf contains these lines
(uncommented!):
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/texmf   % Line 68 in standard current-teTeX-beta: commented
and instead of:
TEXMF = !!$TEXMFMAIN
there should be (line 92):
TEXMF = {!!$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFMAIN}  %maybe also a local tree; note: the home
tree must be first!

So now I am as far as you!

Now I did: cd ~/texmf; mkdir web2c;  fmtutil  --fmtdir ~/texmf/web2c --byfmt
cont-de
(cont-cz, cont-nl, cont-en, cont-uk)

Now re-run mktexlsr and now everything should work fine.
(Well you may want to add texexec/texutil to you ~/bin so you run the new
version)

Tobias

PS: Has someone a pre-compiled version of pdftex newer than 0.13d for IRIX, DEC
or FreeBSD? (I've to admitt I haven't tried the Linux version under FreeBSD yet.
If I could convince the system administrators to update, this wouldn't be
neccessary. te, I need a new non-beta version ;-)