* How to decide on colors
@ 2009-02-15 18:28 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-02-15 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am working with a flowchart. I would like to have the background of
the flowchart, different from the background the flowchart is on. I do
not know much about color combinations. (Just enough to know what I
tried were not good choices.) Is there a site with good pointers about
color combinations?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: How to decide on colors
@ 2009-02-16  6:38 ` Antoine Junod
From: Antoine Junod @ 2009-02-16  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Cecil,

Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> I am working with a flowchart. I would like to have the background
> of the flowchart, different from the background the flowchart is
> on. I do not know much about color combinations. (Just enough to
> know what I tried were not good choices.) Is there a site with good
> pointers about color combinations?

The context manual has a good chapter on colors and how to use them:

     http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-enp.pdf

I'm also using the following site to generate color schemes that are
not ugly:

     http://colorschemedesigner.com/

My 2 cents worth,
-AJ

* Re: How to decide on colors
@ 2009-02-16 14:17 ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-02-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Cecil,

> I am working with a flowchart. I would like to have the background of
> the flowchart, different from the background the flowchart is on. I do
> not know much about color combinations. (Just enough to know what I
> tried were not good choices.) Is there a site with good pointers about
> color combinations?

I'd suggest the following book:

Tina Sutton, Bride M Whelan: The Complete Color Harmony. Rockport
Publishers (2004). ISBN 978-1592530311

After explaining a bit of colour theory it lists (CMYK) swatches of
various colour combinations organized by purpose and mood. I own the
book myself and find it an excellent companion for any decision about
colours. Costs are roughly 20 €.

Hope that'll help.

Cheers,
Oliver