* [NTG-context] Font error in PDF using ConTeXt and Kepler typeface
@ 2023-04-21 13:29 Werner Schmidt via ntg-context
From: Werner Schmidt via ntg-context @ 2023-04-21 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Werner Schmidt

Hi all,

I'd like to use the commercial Adobe Kepler typeface (Kepler Std - version 2.020) in conTeXt (v2023-04-15) as text (serif) font. Although the font files are loaded correctly (see log below), the generated PDF is unreadable (see attached image).

Notes:
 - Only serif font (keplerstd-light.otf) is not working. It's not embedded in the generated PDF.
 - italics and bold fonts are embedded and are rendered well
 - Can't provide font files because Kepler is a commercial typeface

Do you have any ideas how to debug this issue?

Thanks Werner

log file:
mkiv lua stats > loaded fonts: 10 files: fontawesome6freesolid900.otf, frutigernextpro-bold.otf, frutigernextpro-regular.otf, iosevka-term-ss09-light.ttf, keplerstd-light.otf, keplerstd-lightcapt.otf, keplerstd-lightit.otf, keplerstd-semibold.otf, latinmodern-math.otf, lmroman10-regular.otf
mkiv lua stats > font engine: otf 3.133, afm 1.513, tfm 1.000, 30 instances, 18 shared in backend, 3 common vectors, 15 common hashes, load time 0.449 seconds
Example:

This text can't be read in PDF.par
{it However, italics are working.}par
{bold Also Bold and bfem BoldItalics!}par
input{zapf}

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 67639 bytes --]

* Re: [NTG-context] Font error in PDF using ConTeXt and Kepler typeface
@ 2023-04-25 15:50 ` Werner Schmidt via ntg-context
From: Werner Schmidt via ntg-context @ 2023-04-25 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi conTeXt folks,

may I ask again. How could I debug the font typesetting of PDF files with conTeXt?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Best Werner

@ 2023-04-25 19:34   ` lynx--- via ntg-context
From: lynx--- via ntg-context @ 2023-04-25 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Werner:
Have you tried some diagnostic tests, such as trying to get the PDF
output via DVIPS? I suspect that you are, in fact, more knowledgeable
and experience with ConTeXt than I am, but for what it is worth you may
want to look at:

	* \setupoutput[dvips,acrobat] (SEE: _Context-The Manual_ (Hans Hagen;
English, page 24))
 	* \showbodyfont[Options] (SEE: _Not-so-short Intro to ConTeXt (_J.
Ataz-Lopez;English, page 114))
 	* $ MTXRUN  (mtxrun  is the _ConTeXt TDS Runner Tool_) command from a
terminal window it has has a large number of options for finding the
fonts installed, and for querying their characteristics (SEE: _Fonts out
of ConTeXt _(Hans Hagen, pg 52 and ff))

Em

@ 2023-04-25 20:40     ` lynx--- via ntg-context
From: lynx--- via ntg-context @ 2023-04-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Werner:
This is the one that I think will help the most (taken from the Fonts
out of Context manual, pp 147 - 148

"If you want to use Lucida, all you have to do when you have bought the
fonts, is to put
the OpenType files in a place where they can be found, for instance:

tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/lucida

Of course you need to run MTXRUN --GENERATE afterwards so that the files
can be found.

@ 2023-04-25 21:21       ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2023-04-25 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another check you can do is to run

  $ mtxrun --script font --list --name '--pattern=*kepler*'

and see if the file for keplerstd-light is the one you are expecting and not a second copy somewhere that is upsetting things.

> On 25 Apr 2023, at 21:40, lynx--- via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Werner:
> This is the one that I think will help the most (taken from the Fonts out of Context manual, pp 147 - 148
> "If you want to use Lucida, all you have to do when you have bought the fonts, is to put
> the OpenType files in a place where they can be found, for instance:
>
> tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/lucida
>
> Of course you need to run mtxrun --generate afterwards so that the files can be found.
>

> On 2023-04-25 12:34, lynx--- via ntg-context wrote:
>> Hello, Werner:
>> Have you tried some diagnostic tests, such as trying to get the PDF output via DVIPS? I suspect that you are, in fact, more knowledgeable and experience with ConTeXt than I am, but for what it is worth you may want to look at:
>>     • \setupoutput[dvips,acrobat] (see: Context-The Manual (Hans Hagen; English, page 24))
>>     • \showbodyfont[Options] (see: Not-so-short Intro to ConTeXt (J. Ataz-Lopez;English, page 114))
>>     • $ mtxrun  (mtxrun  is the ConTeXt TDS Runner Tool) command from a terminal window it has has a large number of options for finding the fonts installed, and for querying their characteristics (see: Fonts out of ConTeXt (Hans Hagen, pg 52 and ff))
>> Em
>>
>> On 2023-04-25 08:50, Werner Schmidt via ntg-context wrote:
>> Hi conTeXt folks,
>>
>> may I ask again. How could I debug the font typesetting of PDF files with conTeXt?
>>
>> Any help is highly appreciated.
>>
>> Best Werner
>>
>> On April 21, 2023 1:29:18 PM UTC, Werner Schmidt via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote: Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to use the commercial Adobe Kepler typeface (Kepler Std - version 2.020) in conTeXt (v2023-04-15) as text (serif) font. Although the font files are loaded correctly (see log below), the generated PDF is unreadable (see attached image).
>>
>> Notes:
>> - Only serif font (keplerstd-light.otf) is not working. It's not embedded in the generated PDF.
>> - italics and bold fonts are embedded and are rendered well
>> - Can't provide font files because Kepler is a commercial typeface
>>
>> Do you have any ideas how to debug this issue?
>>
>> Thanks Werner
>>
>> log file:
>> mkiv lua stats > loaded fonts: 10 files: fontawesome6freesolid900.otf, frutigernextpro-bold.otf, frutigernextpro-regular.otf, iosevka-term-ss09-light.ttf, keplerstd-light.otf, keplerstd-lightcapt.otf, keplerstd-lightit.otf, keplerstd-semibold.otf, latinmodern-math.otf, lmroman10-regular.otf
>> mkiv lua stats > font engine: otf 3.133, afm 1.513, tfm 1.000, 30 instances, 18 shared in backend, 3 common vectors, 15 common hashes, load time 0.449 seconds
>> Example:
>>
>> This text can't be read in PDF.par
>> {it However, italics are working.}par
>> {bold Also Bold and bfem BoldItalics!}par
>> input{zapf}

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: [NTG-context] Font error in PDF using ConTeXt and Kepler typeface
@ 2023-04-26 21:56         ` Werner Schmidt via ntg-context
From: Werner Schmidt via ntg-context @ 2023-04-26 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

thanks for your ideas!

Could figure out the following:
- font files are found in the correct path  and cached & loaded properly (no second copies, no name clashes)
- issue occurs under Linux as well as Windows
- issue is related only to some particular font files of the font family (not all)