From: Joel via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: Joel via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Joel <uaru99@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: How to create an index that refers to multiple other books?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:27:59 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

 One possible solution I see, since the textbooks and workbooks share the same macros, formatting, fonts, etc. is to just render them as a single file, resetting the page number at the start of each new book, then later use pdfjam to split the files, but I'm not sure how the index could tell readers which of the five "page 5's" (for example) the index is referring to. --Joel

    On Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 06:19:01 AM MST, Joel via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

 I am writing a secondary textbook to be used in public schools. In my state, the textbooks must adhere to standards, such as the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). It is typical for a textbook to contain an index for teachers to check where in the textbook which standards are used. I've used the following code to create such an index, if I simply place `\learned{}` somewhere containing the standard's ID, it creates a custom index entry, and `\placelearned` displays that index.
\defineregister[learned][compress=yes]
\setupregister[learned][style=sansbold, textstyle=slanted, n=1, pagenumber=yes]
\starttext
        \learned{CCSS+W.7.3}
    \input knuth
        \learned{CCSS+W.7.3}
    \input knuth
        \learned{CCSS+W.7.1}
    \startchapter[title=Standards]
        \placelearned
    \stopchapter
\stoptext

This prints an index like this:

Standards
CSS
    W.7.1    1
    W.7.3    1

My problem is my textbook also includes four separate workbooks. I need the index to show my publisher that I've covered all 300+ standards, so I need the index at the back of the textbook to also contain details of which pages in each workbook the standards are found. How can I combine the index so it refers to all books? Something like this:

Standards

CSS
    W.7.1    T 1, Wk.1 3-8, 12, Wk.2 8-9, 60-61
    W.7.3    T 1, Wk.1 3-8, 12, Wk.2 8-9, 60-61, Wk.3 1-2, 54, 70, 90, Wk.4 99, 102, 104

...or possibly like this...

Standards
CSS
    W.7.1
    Textbook: 1
    Workbook 1: 3-8, 12
    Workbook 2: 8-9, 60-61
    W.7.3
    Textbook: 1
    Workbook 1: 3-8, 12
    Workbook 2: 8-9, 60-61
        Workbook 3: 1-2, 54, 70, 90
        Workbook 4: 99, 102, 104

Is there any way to print an index that covers pages across multiple books?

--Joel