* chapter and part titles
@ 2000-07-14 21:02 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-14 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

(1)
I look for a possibility to tell ConTeXt to use a shorter version of a
chapter title for the header and for the table of contents, such like

\chapter[ref:chapter][The long chapter]{This is a very, very long
chapter}

The text in {} should form the title, where the chapter begins,
and the second [] is, what's to be used for header and toc.

How can I do that?

(2)
I want to layout my part start pages as follows:
- a papersized picture in the background
- Text e.g.: "Part IV: The end"
- a motto, that shouldn't appear in the toc

I tried (without the third item):

\useexternalfigure[hintergrund][part][]
\defineoverlay[titelbild]
[{\externalfigure[hintergrund][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]}]
\setupheads[\x03]
\setuphead[part][style=\tfd\it, page=right, header=empty,
background=titelbild, number=yes, align=left, numberstyle=Romannumerals,
right={: }]

That's not working. How would it work?

(I'd satisfied, if you could point me to the right commands,
I'll then try the right syntax myself -- it's a bit heavy
to find the right thing in the beta manual, if I don't know
what to look for...)

thank you again!

hraban.

\x1a

* Re: chapter and part titles
@ 2000-07-17  0:42 ` Hans Hagen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-17  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 11:02 PM 7/14/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>(1)
>I look for a possibility to tell ConTeXt to use a shorter version of a
>chapter title for the header and for the table of contents, such like
>
>\chapter[ref:chapter][The long chapter]{This is a very, very long
>chapter}

\chapter{some text \nomarking{whatever} and some more}

I fear the to is not handled. You can so something:

\def\nocontent#1{#1}

an when placing the content:

\def\nocontent#1{...}

but it should actually be a feature. I'll add it when I extend / cleanup
the sectioning.

>I want to layout my part start pages as follows:
>- a papersized picture in the background
>- Text e.g.: "Part IV: The end"
>- a motto, that shouldn't appear in the toc
>
>I tried (without the third item):
>
>\useexternalfigure[hintergrund][part][]

I assume that part (part.pdf or part.jpg or so) is a figure?

>\defineoverlay[titelbild]
>[{\externalfigure[hintergrund][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]}]
>\setupheads[\x03]

??

>\setuphead[part][style=\tfd\it, page=right, header=empty,
>background=titelbild, number=yes, align=left, numberstyle=Romannumerals,
>right={: }]
>
>That's not working. How would it work?

Parts are always kind of special, so they seldom fit in the general
mechanism. How about:

\setuphead
  [part]
  [command=\MyPart,
   style=,
   placehead=yes,
   number=yes]

\useexternalfigure[cow][cow][factor=max]

\def\MyPart#1#2%
  {\bfd #1 : #2}

\def\StartPart#1#2%
  {\page
   \defineoverlay[somepage][{\externalfigure[#1]}]
   \setupbackgrounds[page][background=somepage]
   \startstandardmakeup
   \part{#2}
   \vfill}

\def\StopPart%
  {\stopstandardmakeup
   \setupbackgrounds[page][background=]}

\StartPart {cow} {ONE}

some funny motto

\StopPart

\StartPart {cow} {TWO}

some funny motto

\StopPart

Of course you need a cow to let this work; factor=max makes the picture
scale to fit best.

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: chapter and part titles
@ 2000-07-17 23:29   ` Hraban
       [not found]   ` <397DEB3C.4012ECA@gmx.net>
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-17 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> I fear the to is not handled. You can so something:
> but it should actually be a feature. I'll add it when I extend / cleanup
> the sectioning.

Good Luck!
Then I have to do tricks so far.

> >\useexternalfigure[hintergrund][part][]
> I assume that part (part.pdf or part.jpg or so) is a figure?

Yes, it's a lightened version of the title picture.

> Parts are always kind of special, so they seldom fit in the general
> mechanism. How about:

I see... ;-/

> \setuphead
etc.
> \useexternalfigure[cow][cow][factor=max]
> \StartPart {cow} {ONE}
> \StopPart

I'll try to adapt this construction.
(And will cry again...)

> Of course you need a cow to let this work; factor=max makes the picture
> scale to fit best.

"Ich will Kühe!" ;-))
(This is a Mac with Linux -- there're no cows, but funny dogs and
penguins...)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
-------------------
http://angerweit.tikon.ch/
http://www.planet-interkom.de/fiee.visuelle/formelsammlung.html

* Re: chapter and part titles
       [not found]   ` <397DEB3C.4012ECA@gmx.net>
@ 2000-07-26  8:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-26  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:32 PM 7/25/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>Another question on the same subject.
>
>> \def\StartPart#1#2%
>>   {\page
>>    \defineoverlay[somepage][{\externalfigure[#1]}]
>>    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=somepage]
>>    \startstandardmakeup
>>    \part{#2}
>>    \vfill}
>
>The "Part" is always on a right page.
>If the left page before is empty,
>it has the same background (it shouldn't).
>
>How can I assure, that TeX first goes to the
>right page and then uses the background?

put the background on the [rightpage] instead of [page], or say
\page[right] instead of \page

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: chapter and part titles
       [not found]   ` <397DEB3C.4012ECA@gmx.net>
@ 2000-07-26 19:53   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-26 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> \chapter{some text \nomarking{whatever} and some more}
>
> I fear the to is not handled. You can so something:
> \def\nocontent#1{#1}
> an when placing the content:
> \def\nocontent#1{...}

I found an easier solution in the docs: \nolist
\def\longonly#1{\nomarking{\nolist{#1}}}

So I can type: \chapter{The long \longonly{and winding } road}

(It doesn't work with \nolist{\nomarking{#1}}. Why?)

hraban.

* Re: chapter and part titles
@ 2000-08-09 11:08     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-09 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:53 PM 7/26/00 +0200, you wrote:
>> \chapter{some text \nomarking{whatever} and some more}
>>
>> I fear the to is not handled. You can so something:
>> \def\nocontent#1{#1}
>> an when placing the content:
>> \def\nocontent#1{...}
>
>I found an easier solution in the docs: \nolist
>\def\longonly#1{\nomarking{\nolist{#1}}}
>
>So I can type: \chapter{The long \longonly{and winding } road}
>
>(It doesn't work with \nolist{\nomarking{#1}}. Why?)

Some day ....  everything will work. Typical something that I implement
when I run into it. You will be surprised how many thinsg are there low
level. Even I forget them, so using \nolist is ok -)

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: chapter and part titles
@ 2000-08-09 17:35       ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-08-09 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Some day ....  everything will work.

Hopeful prophecy. :-)

> level. Even I forget them, so using \nolist is ok -)

>> \def\longonly#1{\nomarking{\nolist{#1}}}
>> \chapter{The long \longonly{and winding } road}

Now there's a little problem:
The command tries to be nice and sets an ellipse (...)
It's not that bad, but can I forbide it?

--
Grütze für alle!
Hraban.

http://www.angerweit.de/             http://angerweit.tikon.ch/