* Re: Example for Persian
@ 2000-09-18 14:08 Behnam Tabatabai
From: Behnam Tabatabai @ 2000-09-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Hans!
Thank you for having examined my Persian exmaple!

>Your file says:
>
>\font\OMARAB=omarab
>
>far better is a definition like
>
>\definefont[OMARAB][omarab sa 1]

That's right. I have still very little experience in Context, that's why I
chose the most straightforward way of switching to "omarab". In the next
examples I'll use this construct.

>Then there is the OTP mechanism, which chains a series of filters. Whet we
>need there is something similar, like (maybe we can leave the synonym here,
>and auto resolve indirect mappings)
>
>\definefiltersynonym [OTF8 to UNICODE16]   [inutf8]
>\definefiltersynonym [farsi to arabic]     [FarsiToArabic]
>\definefiltersynonym [preprocess arabic]   [uni2cuni]
>\definefiltersynonym [build arabic glyphs] [cuni2oar]
>
>next there is:
>
>\definefiltersequence[Farsi][OTF8 to UNICODE16, farsi to arabic, preprocess
>arabic, build arabic glyphs]

Besides "normal" OTP's Omega can also use so called "external" OPT's, which
are any executables (perl scripts, ...) acting as filters. These can also be
interfaced by similar macros.

>[what is the 1000 in \ocplist\OCPListFarsiUTF=\addbeforeocplist 1000
>\OCPutf ?]

This a positive value which can be used to fine tune the bahavior of
\pushocplist in respect of the final placement of ocp's in the list. A
detailed description can be found in the Omega documentation doc-1.8.dvi,
pp. 31-34.

Personally I have not seen any real examples using this feature: All
examples I have seen so far use 1 or 1000 uniquely for all ocp's added to
the list.

>now we can say:
>
>\Farsi\OMARABIC
>
>and get thoce nice sequences of glyphs. In this way we can hide the otp
>interface and protect macros.

Well, this example was a more or less brute force hack for getting Farsi
with the help of Omega primitives. Relying on these Omega features
(direction switching commands and OTP's) do you see any chances for a more
structured support in future versions of Context (e.g., a "lang-far.tex")?

Regards,
Behnam

http://profiles.msn.com.

* Re: Building format with TeX [and Omega]
@ 2000-09-15 10:19 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-15 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:47 AM 9/15/00 CEST, Behnam Tabatabai wrote:

>Appropos Omega:
>--------------
>I have already tried the Omega specific commands (direction switching
>commands and OTP's) in some small Context documents and the results are very
>good: I used the Omega commands "\pagedir TRT" etc. for right-to-left, as
>well as a chain of OTP's for mapping from ISIRI (8-bit standard for Persian)
>to Unicode, context analysis, etc., for some Persian text. I was very
>impressed by the results!
>
>Unfortunately I know too little about Context/TeX to be able to set up by my
>own a clean language environment for Farsi (and other right-to-left scripts
>like Arabic and Hebrew) using these features. However if somebody starts
>that, I would be very happy to contribute my part (at least to the language
>specific issues).

I can look into that if I have the resources (fonts and so). One thing to
sort out [i did some experiments with etex] is to get color things and so
right, due to special swapping. No big deal, once i know the problems at
hand.

Where can I find the (really) latest omega specs? [since i also want to
look into the tex->xml part]

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE