* Bug in enco-ec.tex and enco-fde.tex
@ 2000-09-27 21:27 Uwe Koloska
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-09-27 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

there are some errors in the files
  tex/context/base/enco-ec.tex
  tex/context/base/enco-fde.tex

I am sorry because this errors are caused by me thinking only half the way.

AFAIK the upper case of (german) szligature is SS and this character is
supposed to be 223 in ec-encoding.  So the proposed changes are:

tex/context/base/enco-ec.tex
	\definecharacter SS 223

tex/context/base/enco-fde.tex
        \installcompoundcharacter "s {\sz}
	\installcompoundcharacter "z {\sz}
	\installcompoundcharacter "Z {\SS}
	\installcompoundcharacter "S {\SS}

>From the "Die amtliche Regelung der deutschen Rechtschreibung" §25 E3:
  Bei Schreibung mit Großbuchstaben schreibt man SS, zum Beispiel:
  Straße -- STRASSE

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: Bug in enco-ec.tex and enco-fde.tex
@ 2000-09-28 10:48 ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-09-28 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Koloska wrote:
> AFAIK the upper case of (german) szligature is SS and this character

Stimmt. Die Schreibweise "SZ" ist veraltet bzw. nur bei
Verwechslungsmöglichkeiten opportun.

[True. The sometimes found spelling "SZ" is very old fashioned and only
allowed, if "SS" causes confusion.]

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: Bug in enco-ec.tex and enco-fde.tex
@ 2000-09-29  9:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-29  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Hi,

>AFAIK the upper case of (german) szligature is SS and this character is
>supposed to be 223 in ec-encoding.  So the proposed changes are:
>
>tex/context/base/enco-ec.tex
>	\definecharacter SS 223

\definecharacter sz 255
\definecharacter SS 223

So, \sz remains 255 ?

>tex/context/base/enco-fde.tex
>        \installcompoundcharacter "s {\sz}
>	\installcompoundcharacter "z {\sz}
>	\installcompoundcharacter "Z {\SS}
>	\installcompoundcharacter "S {\SS}

Shoudl we have a \SZ ?

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Bug in enco-ec.tex and enco-fde.tex
@ 2000-09-29 14:29 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-09-29 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Hallo Uwe, Hraban en/und Hans,

Uwe Koloska wrote:
> there are some errors in the files
>   tex/context/base/enco-ec.tex
>   tex/context/base/enco-fde.tex
>
> I am sorry because this errors are caused by me thinking only half the way.
>
> AFAIK the upper case of (german) szligature is SS and this character is
> supposed to be 223 in ec-encoding.  So the proposed changes are:
>
> tex/context/base/enco-ec.tex
>         \definecharacter SS 223
In t1enc.def (LaTeX) there is:
\DeclareTextSymbol{\SS}{T1}{223}
\DeclareTextSymbol{\ss}{T1}{255}
\ss is the ß letter. It seems that \SS is the uppercase(ß) -> SS letter
(two letters in unicode). It seems that T1 encoding uses a single letter
for SS. We should consider using this one.
The problem is: \SS and \sz are already defined. See below.

> tex/context/base/enco-fde.tex
>         \installcompoundcharacter "s {\sz}
>         \installcompoundcharacter "z {\sz}
>         \installcompoundcharacter "Z {\SS}
>         \installcompoundcharacter "S {\SS}
"Z should stay SZ!

We have:
  \installcompoundcharacter "s {\SS}
  \installcompoundcharacter "z {\SS}
  \installcompoundcharacter "Z {SZ}
  \installcompoundcharacter "S {SS}

This works perfectly. If T1 encoding has (stupidly?) one character for
SS (two normal captial s; there is non such letter in in UNICODE 3.01 by
the way), we should define something \SZ or is this too confusing.
\SS should produce ß because I don't want to change hundreds of old
documents because of this incompatible unneccessary change.

I think we should produce (as we do currently):
"s -> ß
"z -> ß
"S -> SS  = uppercase "s
"Z -> SZ  = uppercase "z for the rare case that ß becomes SZ as in
MA"ZE vs. MA"SE
MASZE vs. MASSE
Maße  vs. Masse

This is how it is done in LaTeX, isn't it?

> >From the "Die amtliche Regelung der deutschen Rechtschreibung" §25 E3:
>   Bei Schreibung mit Großbuchstaben schreibt man SS, zum Beispiel:
>   Straße -- STRASSE
We do this using Stra"se and STRA"SE, Ma"se und MA"SE, Ma"ze und MA"ZE,
where's the problem?

Hraban wrote:
> Uwe Koloska wrote:
> > AFAIK the upper case of (german) szligature is SS and this character
> [True. The sometimes found spelling "SZ" is very old fashioned and only
> allowed, if "SS" causes confusion.]
I didn't know that it was even used :-) SZ or Eszett is by the way also
a wrong name the ß ligature comes from a long s (unicode 017F LATIN
SMALL LETTER LONG S) plus a normal small s (0073 LATIN SMALL LETTER S),
so the other name "sharp s" (scharfes s) is more apropiate, but
\sz=\SS=ß is the ConTeXt name. Note: \ss is plain TeX and was changed
into \SS because \ss became "sans-serif". Someone (Uwe?) suggested to
name it \sz, so we have (font-ini.tex):

%D \macros
%D   {ss, SS, sz}
%D
%D We are going to redefine \type{\ss} but for those wo still
%D want to have access to the german \SS, we save it's value in
%D \type{\SS}. Ok, I should have used \type{\sf} insead of
%D \type{\ss} in the first place.

\ifx\undefined\SS \let\SS=\ss \fi
\ifx\undefined\sz \let\sz=\ss \fi

Hans Hagen wrote:
> >AFAIK the upper case of (german) szligature is SS and this character is
> >supposed to be 223 in ec-encoding.  So the proposed changes are:
> >
> >tex/context/base/enco-ec.tex
> >       \definecharacter SS 223
>
> \definecharacter sz 255
> \definecharacter SS 223
>
> So, \sz remains 255 ?
Suggest: Leave it as it is, since it seems to be working well!
Or has someone any problems?

> >tex/context/base/enco-fde.tex
> >        \installcompoundcharacter "s {\sz}
> >       \installcompoundcharacter "z {\sz}
> >       \installcompoundcharacter "Z {\SS}
> >       \installcompoundcharacter "S {\SS}
>
> Shoudl we have a \SZ ?
I don't know as long as "Z -> SZ and uppercase("z) -> SZ is not
hyphenated we don't need it, do we?
Especially how should it be mapped? \sz is ß which is already very
confusing, \SZ would be SS, and \SS then SZ?

Tobias