From: Hraban <angerweit@gmx.net>
Subject: music typesetting
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:49:52 +0200	[thread overview]

Hans Hagen wrote:
> >Do you have experience with music setting via MusiXTeX, Lilypond... ?
> rather minimal, although tex would be pretty good in typesetting minimal music
>
> >Did anyone try to combine some music macros with ConTeXt?
> yes, but long ago, i'm still thinking of a metapost thing

After your inspiring introduction to metapost I believe, that such would
be a very joy to use!

> what is lilypond?

"GNU project music typesetter" is based on TeX, the manual explains how
to use it's "mudela" (music description language) files within LaTeX.
The authors are Han-Wen Nienhuys, Jan Nieuwenhuizen and Adrian Mariano
-- I'm surprised, that there are nederlandse TeX projects you not know
about? ;-)
see http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen

There was an article about music typesetting programs for Linux in the
german Linux Magazin 7/99. The author, Christoph Dalitz, mentioned also
the MusiXTeX preprocessors MTX and PMX, further Tab for lute tabulatures
that is not TeX based, and some other like Rosegarden and KDE Bach (the
former kooBase).

I had no time to test it yet -- I'm working under MacOS with the great
shareware "Harmony Assistant" by Myriad (France).

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---