* Page count of PDF file from lua
@ 2012-02-19 13:50 Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-02-19 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I can't figure out how to determine the number of pages of a PDF
file within lua. From the TeX side it works with
\getfiguredimensions

Can somebody give me a nudge in the right direction? Example:

\starttext

% Works
%\getfiguredimensions [somefile.pdf]

\startluacode
	-- Does not work
	context.getfiguredimensions({"somefile.pdf"})

	local numpages = figures.get("used", "pages", 0)
	context(numpages)
\stopluacode

\stoptext

Marco

* Re: Page count of PDF file from lua
@ 2012-02-21 12:40 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-21 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-2-2012 14:50, Marco wrote:
> I can't figure out how to determine the number of pages of a PDF
> file within lua. From the TeX side it works with
> \getfiguredimensions
>
> Can somebody give me a nudge in the right direction? Example:
>
> \starttext
>
> % Works
> %\getfiguredimensions [somefile.pdf]
>
> \startluacode
> 	-- Does not work
> 	context.getfiguredimensions({"somefile.pdf"})
>
> 	local numpages = figures.get("used", "pages", 0)
> 	context(numpages)
> \stopluacode
>
> \stoptext

something

      local fig = figures.push { name = "somefile.pdf" }
      figures.identify()
      figures.check()
      local nofpages = fig.used.pages
      figures.pop()

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-02-21 13:03   ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-02-21 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-02-21 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> > I can't figure out how to determine the number of pages of a PDF
> > file within lua.
>
>       local fig = figures.push { name = "somefile.pdf" }
>       figures.identify()
>       figures.check()
>       local nofpages = fig.used.pages
>       figures.pop()

Thanks for the snippet, Hans.

@ 2012-02-22 13:42   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2012-02-22 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

... Some solutions can be found here, too:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg57502.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg57503.html

Lukas

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:40:26 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 19-2-2012 14:50, Marco wrote:
>> I can't figure out how to determine the number of pages of a PDF
>> file within lua. From the TeX side it works with
>> \getfiguredimensions
>>
>> Can somebody give me a nudge in the right direction? Example:
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> % Works
>> %\getfiguredimensions [somefile.pdf]
>>
>> \startluacode
>> 	-- Does not work
>> 	context.getfiguredimensions({"somefile.pdf"})
>>
>> 	local numpages = figures.get("used", "pages", 0)
>> 	context(numpages)
>> \stopluacode
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> something
>
>       local fig = figures.push { name = "somefile.pdf" }
>       figures.identify()
>       figures.check()
>       local nofpages = fig.used.pages
>       figures.pop()

>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]
Bezová 1658
147 14 Praha 4

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: Page count of PDF file from lua
@ 2012-02-22 14:34     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-02-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-02-22 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr@pontex.cz> wrote:

> ... Some solutions can be found here, too:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg57502.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg57503.html

Thanks, Lukáš. That also works. Unfortunately, I didn't find the
thread while searching the list.

I did a quick benchmark which revealed that both solutions perform
almost the same. I guess they use the same backend code.

Marco

* strange output in pdf when using the filter module
@ 2012-02-22 16:03 ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2012-02-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having an issue in my pdf-output after processing a markdown file to .tex --> .pdf

It adds the word "stylecolors" in the .pdf file

Why is it doing that?

Jan-Eriks-Mac-mini:test-markdown janneman$ context --version

mtx-context     | main context file: /Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2011.05.18 18:04
Jan-Eriks-Mac-mini:test-markdown janneman$

Jan-Eriks-Mac-mini:test-markdown janneman$ kpsewhich t-filter.mkiv
/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-filter.mkiv
Jan-Eriks-Mac-mini:test-markdown janneman$

Jan-Eriks-Mac-mini:test-markdown janneman$ pandoc --version
pandoc 1.8.2
Compiled with citeproc support.
Compiled with syntax highlighting support for:
Actionscript, Ada, Alert, Alert_indent, Ansys, Apache, Asn1, Asp, Awk, Bash,
Bibtex, Boo, C, Changelog, Cisco, Cmake, Coffeescript, Coldfusion, Commonlisp,
Cpp, Cs, Css, Cue, D, Desktop, Diff, Djangotemplate, Doxygen, Doxygenlua, Dtd,
Eiffel, Email, Erlang, Fortran, Fsharp, Fstab, Gap, Gdb, Gettext, Gnuassembler,
Go, Haskell, Haxe, Html, Idl, Ilerpg, Ini, Java, Javadoc, Javascript, Json, Jsp,
Latex, Lex, LiterateHaskell, Lua, M3u, Makefile, Mandoc, Matlab, Maxima,
Mediawiki, Metafont, Mips, Modula2, Modula3, Monobasic, Nasm, Noweb, Objectivec,
Objectivecpp, Ocaml, Octave, Pango, Pascal, Perl, Php, Pike, Postscript, Prolog,
Python, R, Relaxngcompact, Rhtml, Ruby, Scala, Scheme, Sci, Sed, Sgml, Sql,
SqlMysql, SqlPostgresql, Tcl, Texinfo, Verilog, Vhdl, Winehq, Wml, Xharbour,
Xml, Xorg, Xslt, Xul, Yacc, Yaml
Copyright (C) 2006-2011 John MacFarlane
Web:  http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is no
warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

I am having all these installed on mac osx 10.7 lion

Thanks in advance

Jan-Erik Hägglöf

[-- Attachment #2: test4.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: test4.tex --]

\usemodule[filter]

\defineexternalfilter
  [pandoc]
  [filtercommand={pandoc -f \externalfilterparameter{format} -t context
                  -i \externalfilterinputfile\space
                  -o \externalfilteroutputfile},
   format=markdown,
   directory=output]

   \traceexternalfilters

\setupbodyfont[14pt]

\starttext

   \processpandocfile{test3.text}

\stoptext

Generated .tex file by output from pandoc

[-- Attachment #5: test3.tex --]

\subject{RUBRIK}

Lite text att testa med

Vi skriver {\em emfas} och så

\subsubject{Rubrik2}

Vi testar och ser hur det blir med en formel

\placeformula
\startformula
E = mc^2
\stopformula

\subsubject{Rubrik3}

En punktlista kanske?

\startitemize
\item
  första
\item
  andra
\item
  tredje
\stopitemize

Log messages

[-- Attachment #7: test4.log --]

(test4.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2012.2.22  int: english/english

system          > cont-new.mkiv loaded
(/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
)
system          > test4.top loaded
system          > options > begin of optionfile
system          > options >
system          > options > % runtime options files (command line driven)
system          > options > \unprotect
system          > options > % feedback and basic job control
system          > options > % handy for special styles
system          > options > \startluacode
system          > options > document = document or { }
system          > options > document.arguments={
system          > options > }
system          > options > document.files={
system          > options >  "test4.tex",
system          > options > }
system          > options > \stopluacode
system          > options > % process info
system          > options > \setupsystem[inputfile=test4.tex]
system          > options > \setupsystem[\c!n=2,\c!m=3]
system          > options > % modes
system          > options > % options (not that important)
system          > options > \startsetups *runtime:options
system          > options > \stopsetups
system          > options > % styles and modules
system          > options > \startsetups *runtime:modules
system          > options > \stopsetups
system          > options > % done
system          > options > \protect \endinput
system          > options >
system          > options > end of optionfile
(test4.top)
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
resolvers       > modules > loaded: 'filter'
(/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-filter.mkiv
resolvers       > modules > loaded: 'module-catcodes'
(/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-module-catcodes.tex
))
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (third stage)
(/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv) (/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv){/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}{/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
fonts           > virtual math > unable to resolve name mapsfromchar
fonts           > defining > forced type otf of lmmath not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lmmath' is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font lmmath, loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define lmmath.otf as \*modern9.8ptmmmr22*
fonts           > defining > forced type otf of lmmath not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lmmath' is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font lmmath, loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define lmmath.otf as \*modern14ptmmmr11*
fonts           > fallback modern rm 14pt is loaded
system          > begin file test4.tex at line 16
t-filter        > Appending / to directory output
t-filter        > current filter : pandoc
t-filter        > base file : test3
t-filter        > input file : test3.text
t-filter        > output file : output/test3.tex
t-filter        > command : pandoc -f markdown -t context -i test3.text -o output/test3.tex
t-filter        > state :
(output/test3.tex
structure       > sectioning > subject @ level 3 : 0.0.0 -> RUBRIK
structure       > sectioning > subsubject @ level 4 : 0.0.0.0 -> Rubrik2
structure       > sectioning > subsubject @ level 4 : 0.0.0.0 -> Rubrik3
)
backend         > xmp > using file '/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1, subpage 1
system          > end file test4.tex at line 20
 ){/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-mathsy.enc}</Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman7-regular.otf>{/Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-mathit.enc}</Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmromanslant10-regular.otf></Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf></Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmmi7.pfb></Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmsy7.pfb>
mkiv lua stats  > used config file          - selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
mkiv lua stats  > used cache path           - /Users/janneman/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e
mkiv lua stats  > input load time           - 0.004 seconds
mkiv lua stats  > stored bytecode data      - 285 modules, 60 tables, 345 chunks
mkiv lua stats  > loaded tex modules        - 2 requested, 2 found (*-filter *-module-catcodes), 0 missing
mkiv lua stats  > cleaned up reserved nodes - 33 nodes, 9 lists of 423
mkiv lua stats  > node memory usage         - 1 kern, 8 attribute, 27 glue_spec, 1 attribute_list
mkiv lua stats  > node list callback tasks  - 6 unique task lists, 6 instances (re)created, 2558 calls
mkiv lua stats  > used backend              - pdf (backend for directly generating pdf output)
mkiv lua stats  > loaded patterns           - en::2
mkiv lua stats  > callbacks                 - 2707 direct, 3586 indirect, 6293 total
mkiv lua stats  > randomizer                - resumed with value 0.67711905142158
mkiv lua stats  > lxml preparation time     - 0.000 seconds, 0 nodes, 15 lpath calls, 0 cached calls
mkiv lua stats  > result saved in file      - test4.pdf
mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts              - 16 files: stmary10.afm lmmono8-regular.otf lmroman10-regular.otf lmroman7-bold.otf lmroman7-regular.otf lmromanslant10-regular.otf lmsans8-regular.otf eufb7.tfm eufm7.tfm msam7.tfm msbm7.tfm lmex10.tfm lmmi7.tfm lmmib7.tfm lmsy7.tfm rm-lmr7.tfm
mkiv lua stats  > fonts load time           - 0.085 seconds
mkiv lua stats  > luatex banner             - this is luatex, version beta-0.70.1-2011051908 (rev 4277)
mkiv lua stats  > control sequences         - 30806 of 165536
mkiv lua stats  > current memory usage      - 32 MB (ctx: 32 MB)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime                   - 0.641 seconds, 1 processed pages, 1 shipped pages, 1.560 pages/second

* Re: strange output in pdf when using the filter module
@ 2012-02-22 17:11   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-02-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Jan-Erik Hägglöf wrote:

> Having an issue in my pdf-output after processing a markdown file to .tex --> .pdf
>
> It adds the word "stylecolors" in the .pdf file
>
> Why is it doing that?

Possibly because there was a bug in the version of the filter module
(2011.12.17) that you are using. It works fine with version (2012.01.26)
or (2012.02.11).

The easiest fix is to update your context distribution and get the latest
version of the module. If you don't want to update the entire
distribution, just get the latest version of t-filter.mkiv,
t-module-catcodes.tex from https://github.com/adityam/filter; Although I
haven't tested if the latest version of the filter module works with old
ConTeXt format. You are using 2011.05.18 and lots of ConTeXt internals
have changed since then. The other option will be to pick an old version
of the module: https://github.com/adityam/filter/tags

Aditya

* Re: strange output in pdf when using the filter module
@ 2012-02-22 17:15     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-02-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Jan-Erik Hägglöf wrote:
>
>> Having an issue in my pdf-output after processing a markdown file to .tex
>> --> .pdf
>>
>> It adds the word "stylecolors" in the .pdf file
>>
>> Why is it doing that?
>
> Possibly because there was a bug in the version of the filter module
> (2011.12.17) that you are using.

Actually, the reason is that now the filter module uses
\use<namespace>styleandcolor to set style and color:

     \getvalue{use#1styleandcolor}{#2}{#3}

Since \use<...>styleandcolor was introduced after 2011.05.18, the
\getvalue evaluates to \relax, and you see "stylecolor" (the value of #2
and #3) in the output.

Aditya

* Re: strange output in pdf when using the filter module
@ 2012-02-22 18:29       ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2012-02-22 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Updating to latest beta with ./first-setup.sh did the trick, thanks a lot

mvh

Janneman