* [NTG-context] font style and size interaction
@ 2023-05-30  8:18 Hans van der Meer via ntg-context
From: Hans van der Meer via ntg-context @ 2023-05-30  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt; +Cc: Hans van der Meer

There is -- in my perception -- a problem with the interaction between font style and font size changes.
The order of calling for example  \it\small matters because \small\it leads to a different result.
I would however reason that size and style changes should be in orthogonal spaces, that is: the one should have no effect on the other.
Cause of this behaviour seems the \tf call included in small. See the accompanying example.

I can try to program around this, but I would prefer not to. Is there a possibility that this behaviour will be changed to \it\small and \small\it giving the same result?

dr. Hans van der Meer

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 10.05.56.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 53714 bytes --]

* Re: [NTG-context] font style and size interaction
@ 2023-05-30  9:33 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-05-30  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans van der Meer via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 5/30/2023 10:18 AM, Hans van der Meer via ntg-context wrote:
> There is -- in my perception -- a problem with the interaction between font style and font size changes.
> The order of calling for example  \it\small matters because \small\it leads to a different result.
> I would however reason that size and style changes should be in orthogonal spaces, that is: the one should have no effect on the other.
> Cause of this behaviour seems the \tf call included in small. See the accompanying example.
>
> I can try to program around this, but I would prefer not to. Is there a possibility that this behaviour will be changed to \it\small and \small\it giving the same result?
\small does a (massive) bodyfont switch and therefore you end up with
regular tf

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] font style and size interaction
@ 2023-05-30 10:24   ` Hans van der Meer via ntg-context
From: Hans van der Meer via ntg-context @ 2023-05-30 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt; +Cc: Hans van der Meer

Hans,

I see this as a no with respect to changing the behaviour of \small and friends. Which I can well understand: changes on this level may trigger a lot of unwanted problems.
But now I can program around it with a clear conscience;-)

dr. Hans van der Meer

@ 2023-05-30 12:14     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-05-30 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans van der Meer via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 5/30/2023 12:24 PM, Hans van der Meer via ntg-context wrote:
> Hans,
>
> I see this as a no with respect to changing the behaviour of \small and
> friends. Which I can well understand: changes on this level may trigger
> a lot of unwanted problems.
> But now I can program around it with a clear conscience;-)
normally for soem inline change where one doesn not have side effects
(like interline spacing etc) \itx is okay as smaller \it (\itxx for even
smaller sizes)

Of course you can go on an adventure trip:

test {\it test
     \glyphscale \numexpr \glyphscale * 700 / 1000 \relax test
     \glyphscale \numexpr \glyphscale * 800 / 1000 \relax test
     \glyphxscale \numexpr \glyphxscale * 3500 / 1000 \relax test
     \glyphyscale \numexpr \glyphyscale * 3500 / 1000 \relax test
     }
test

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE