* OT: Linux PDF Viewers
@ 2000-11-03 14:55 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-03 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks!

It's a bit aside of ConTeXt, but perhaps someone has a hint...

* there's no Acrobat Reader for my PPC-Linux.
* all GS basing viewers cut the pages after 2/3.
* xpdf works best, but doesn't show embedded fonts (strange!)
* most interactive features work only with Acrobat.

Is there a solution?

(Normally I test my PDFs with xpdf, then copy it to a Mac Volume
and view it with Acrobat, but that's a bit nasty.)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: OT: Linux PDF Viewers
@ 2000-11-03 22:25 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-11-03 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hraban,

> * there's no Acrobat Reader for my PPC-Linux.
Well not entirely true: There is a Java version of it. It is rather
slow, but has some bugs removed which persited in the binaries. (Hans
tested more than I did, but it works too slow if you don't have a fast
system. Else give it a try.)

> * all GS basing viewers cut the pages after 2/3.
What does GhostScript do (gs not gv). I know these kind of problems
(unfortunally gv is no longer maintained), but gs always showed the
correct result. (Get familar with -dFirstPage -r -dLastPage etc. ;-)

> Is there a solution?
Well according to Ralph the new Ghostscript maintainer (besides the
quiet supervisor L. Peter Deutsch) plans to create a Viewer as
(optional) part of Ghostscript which is supposed to do interactive
stuff. (Being himself a Linux user this may only apply to Linux, I think
it should be based on gtk+ (Gnome, Gimp, [Mozilla]), but maybe also on
Qt (KDE, Opera, Borland *).

Another methode which works with X. Login (e.g. via SSH) into another
computer and run it remotely (if you have it somewhere in the local
network (if applicable), via ISDN it isn't so much a fun ;-)

Tobias

* Re: OT: Linux PDF Viewers
@ 2000-11-03 16:01 George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2000-11-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)