* Onderwerp: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-12 20:04 frans goddijn
From: frans goddijn @ 2000-11-12 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It must also be said that the quality of context is quite
> stunning, given that it is used by a very small number

I understand that some people use ConTeXt because there is hardly an alternative for some highly demanding documents. The totally easy way I could make a 600 page book and a1200 page interactive PDF file from one and the same input file "mada"  ConTeXt to me but already since the first time that I heard/read about ConTeXt I looked forward to working with it. It's just fun to do.

> And the fact that people are paid for it has certainly
> something to do with it.

I bet that ConTeXt development costs Hans more than he gets paid for it. He needs it for his own professional document processing and all other users profit from his work on developing ConTeXt.

I would be happy to pay for a manual. Maybe we could collect orders, say if 200 users are willing to pay 65 Euro for a copy ofthe full printed manual, this could buy Hans some time to complete and produce a first signed collectible printing...

Frans

* Re: Onderwerp: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-14  9:14 ` Bert Verbeek
From: Bert Verbeek @ 2000-11-14  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

frans goddijn wrote:

> > It must also be said that the quality of context is quite
> > stunning, given that it is used by a very small number
>
> I understand that some people use ConTeXt because there is hardly an alternative for some highly demanding documents. The totally easy way I could make a 600 page book and a1200 page interactive PDF file from one and the same input file "mada"  ConTeXt to me but already since the first time that I heard/read about ConTeXt I looked forward to working with it. It's just fun to do.
>
> > And the fact that people are paid for it has certainly
> > something to do with it.
>
> I bet that ConTeXt development costs Hans more than he gets paid for it. He needs it for his own professional document processing and all other users profit from his work on developing ConTeXt.
>
> I would be happy to pay for a manual. Maybe we could collect orders, say if 200 users are willing to pay 65 Euro for a copy ofthe full printed manual, this could buy Hans some time to complete and produce a first signed collectible printing...
>
> Frans

I totally agree with you, I like conTeXt a lot compared to LaTeX.

The cost for a printed manual is no issue at all.

It is a fact that it will be highly efficient for me for producing my
educational material. At the moment I spend far to much time in grepping
the base files, remembering where I read what in what (temporary)
manual.

I expect that this is the case for many of my collegues, so if there
will be a printed manual adressing the basics and interaction I would
like to order two (and ofcourse encourage others in our group to buy one
as well).

Bert

--
Dr.ir. G. Verbeek                              | Structural Acoustics
Eindhoven University of Technology             | voice:	+31 40 2474838

* Manual Orders...
@ 2000-11-14 18:02   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-14 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I totally agree with you, I like conTeXt a lot compared to LaTeX.
>
> The cost for a printed manual is no issue at all.

Another order! I'd pay about up to 60 Euro.

;-)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://angerweit.tikon.ch/lieder/