* Font problems when using dvips
@ 2000-11-14  8:30 Maarten Wisse
From: Maarten Wisse @ 2000-11-14  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ConTeXt experts,

It was a long time ago that I used ConTeXt, but now I'm back to ConTeXt for
making a birth announcement. No don't congratulate me, because one should do
this actually before the baby is there :-)

Ok, I use a Bitstream font Kabel/Cable and I've made the necessary font
files using fontinst with \latinfamily command. Then I do the following in
my ConTeXt files:

\definefontsynonym [Kabel-Light]                [bkbr8t]  [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Sans] [Kabel-Light]

For dvips and pdftex, I do the following in bkb.map:
bkbr8r Geometric-LightC "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <bkbm8a.pfb

This I do for all the different variants of the font, of course. It works
perfectly when making pdf files with PDFeTeX 13d. All accented characters
and an en-dash which are on the card appear correctly. However, when trying
to compile to dvi and then to dvips, accents and en-dash disappear. I
already tried two alternatives:

1. Change bkbr8t in the \definefontsynonym command to bkbr8r and change
encoding to [encoding=texnansi].
2. change bkbr8r in the bkb.map file to bkbr8t and leaving the ConTeXt files
unmodified. In this case, I do an upd.map rerun of course, to get the
modifications into psfonts.map and pdftex.map

Neither of these works. Does anyone know what is wrong?

My platform: RedHat 7.0 with teTeX 1.0.7

Thanks in advance,

Maarten Wisse

http://profiles.msn.com.

* Re: Font problems when using dvips
@ 2000-11-14 11:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-14 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:30 AM 11/14/00 GMT, Maarten Wisse wrote:
>Hi ConTeXt experts,
>
>It was a long time ago that I used ConTeXt, but now I'm back to ConTeXt for
>making a birth announcement. No don't congratulate me, because one should do
>this actually before the baby is there :-)
>
>Ok, I use a Bitstream font Kabel/Cable and I've made the necessary font
>files using fontinst with \latinfamily command. Then I do the following in
>my ConTeXt files:
>
>\definefontsynonym [Kabel-Light]                [bkbr8t]  [encoding=ec]
>\definefontsynonym [Sans] [Kabel-Light]
>
>For dvips and pdftex, I do the following in bkb.map:
>bkbr8r Geometric-LightC "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <bkbm8a.pfb
>
>This I do for all the different variants of the font, of course. It works
>perfectly when making pdf files with PDFeTeX 13d. All accented characters
>and an en-dash which are on the card appear correctly. However, when trying
>to compile to dvi and then to dvips, accents and en-dash disappear. I
>already tried two alternatives:

in depth dvips knowledge is beyond me [here we use dvipsone] so that is for
others to answer.

if you want to go from pdf to ps, you can use pdftops from Derek Noonburg
[in xdvi distribution and on tex live] which does an efficient conversion;
we use that in our printer driver.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Font problems when using dvips
@ 2000-11-14 12:35   ` S2P development
From: S2P development @ 2000-11-14 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maarten Wisse, ntg-context

> >Ok, I use a Bitstream font Kabel/Cable and I've made the necessary font
> >files using fontinst with \latinfamily command. Then I do the following in
> >my ConTeXt files:
> >
> >\definefontsynonym [Kabel-Light]                [bkbr8t]  [encoding=ec]
> >\definefontsynonym [Sans] [Kabel-Light]
> >
> in depth dvips knowledge is beyond me [here we use dvipsone] so that is for
> others to answer.

I've had similar problems in the past (likewise when using pdftex). I
*think*
the problem is that the encoding settings are never actually executed
(that, or
something somewhere resets the encoding to 'texnansi' all by itself). I
solved
my problem by using texnansi encoded fonts instead, but I suspect you
can also
remove the problem by executing

\setupbodyfont[ber,pos]

And if that doesn't work, try wrapping the whole text content in
\startencoding[ec] ... \stopencoding.

Greetings, Taco